Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
~Shana~
Make a contract with me!

Self confidence and cosplay

I've always had a thing about my looks and not liking what I see when I look in a mirror. After having my cosplay.com account name posted on another website with negative comments my self confidence that I barely have diminished once again. How do you coop with self confidence at conventions? How would you react to a negative comment?

Con list 2014
ALA
Fanime
Anime Expo
Anime California
PMX
~Shana~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
R3X
you're not my destiny,

Honestly I wouldn't worry about what people say, especially someone on the Internet. Anyone who decides it's okay to say something rude about another person has low self-esteem issues as well and do it to feel better about themselves.
At a con?
Hey, you're probably going to make someone's day cosplaying their favorite character / a character from a series they love. That should give any cosplayer a lot of self-confidence ;>
Chris Fehn|Slipknot
Paul Gray Memorial|Slipknot
R3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
danielvutran
prinny dood!

No one's perfect! Technically how you look is randomized and completely RNG lol. So people who make fun of you for something like that shouldn't matter! The people who can see passed that are the ones that you should worry about (opinion wise) ^^ lol.
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
cuda

Here is the question you should be asking yourself. am I having fun at this convention? If you answered yes to that question, then you shouldn't have any problem with you self confidence.
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
MotherSilver

I worry about my self confidence mostly for myself. While I may not worry about what others think about, I know this is how I want to feel. That's why I'm working out because while most of my costumes show my stomach and I do not by no means look bad, I still think I could do better. Not much more so in the toning. But at the same time you also have to love your body for what it is. I know I'm not 'fat' but I just feel there are ways I can better myself. This thought will vary from person to person. Some people are very happy with the way their bodies are and some are not. If you are not feeling good about your body for YOURSELF, then you can pick up a regimen and make yourself feel better! But if you are doing it because of what other people say on the internet, well then they need to reevaluate their lives if they are picking on people for how they look. What you need to remember is to do things FOR YOURSELF. Not for others. That's why a lot of my friends think I would look fine if I did my cosplays and while I agree it's not that bad, I still want to start a healthier lifestyle just as a personal quest.

So in short: Remember that you are beautiful for who you are, and not what some douche says on the internet. Think about what YOU want. And when you realize that, then you'll be a lot happier knowing you are who you want to be.
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Just be conformable with your skill level in cosplay and yourself. Whatever anyone else says, especially if they're hiding behind a computer screen, is just unnecessary noise. Tune 'em out and enjoy the experience of costuming.
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

First off, just know that you are not alone. I suffer from a severe lack of self confidence as well and often feel the same way you do when I see myself in the mirror ... but sometimes there are days when I look in the mirror and think "Maybe I'm not so bad after all." ... but the truth of the matter is, you're never "bad" really. The think that what hurts people like you and I is indeed the pressure from others to look a certain way, and I've seen my fair share of ignorant comments and websites that call out people for being "bad" or "unattractive" cosplayers ... and when you see people freaking out about being "too fat" for a cosplay, for example... but in the end, you just have to ignore those people as best you can. It can be difficult, I know ... but what you should focus on is whether or not you're having fun... because THAT is the most important part of cosplay. Not how you look, or what your skill level is even .... just that you are having a lot of fun! Once you're having fun, and you surround yourself with positive people who make you feel good about just being yourself, then it's easy to ignore all the biggots and idiots out there who get their jollies from putting down other people.
So yes, I guess this is just my round about way of saying that I understand how you feel, but you should let it get you down!
Besides that, everyone is beautiful in their own way. We are all unique and we are all amazing!

England/Arthur Kirkland from Hetalia (American Revolution, Default, Casual, Pirate)
Canada/Matthew Williams from Hetalia (Default Parka, Casual, World Conference)
Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing (Endless Waltz)
Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto (Shippuuden)
Umino Iruka from Naruto
Raven-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

As everyone has said, brush off those that say negative things and listen to the ones that are positive. The internet is full of people who think it's okay to talk bad about people because they are safe from ever actually being heard by the person they are downing. Cosplay is something that can build your confidence, so just continue doing what you do and maybe one day you won't feel so down about yourself. I know cosplay has brought me to a point where I feel more confident about my self and I've seen it happen for others as well.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Don't base your self worth on the opinions of other people or on how 'pretty' you are perceived. Being pretty or good looking is not a requirement to be an attractive person, and yes they're different things.

'Pretty' is not the height of what you can be as a person, it isn't a goal or an award you get because X amount of people think your bangable. Your job as a human being is no to be as desirable to as many people as possible. Whether or not nameless masses in the void of space consider you suitably hot doesn't take away who you are, your goals, your achievements, and everything that comes together on an atomic level to make you who you are.

Coming to terms with the notion that you don't owe people being attractive, that being attractive isn't the highlight of your life or worth as a person, and not basing your value on other people will help you not give a single fucking fuck about fucks who are fucking fuckers.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Don't base your self worth on the opinions of other people or on how 'pretty' you are perceived. Being pretty or good looking is not a requirement to be an attractive person, and yes they're different things.

'Pretty' is not the height of what you can be as a person, it isn't a goal or an award you get because X amount of people think your bangable. Your job as a human being is no to be as desirable to as many people as possible. Whether or not nameless masses in the void of space consider you suitably hot doesn't take away who you are, your goals, your achievements, and everything that comes together on an atomic level to make you who you are.

Coming to terms with the notion that you don't owe people being attractive, that being attractive isn't the highlight of your life or worth as a person, and not basing your value on other people will help you not give a single fucking fuck about fucks who are fucking fuckers.

What Lithium said ^
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Ilafatyu
That guy

Acknowledging that I consider myself somewhat of an asshole, I'm in a strange sort of confidence crisis. I don't give a shit about what people think of my appearance, to start. I figure that genetically I've been given pretty much all right stuff, and I can pull off anything but pastel colors. That's all great and swell especially because I don't intend on wearing pale rosy pink at any point in my life. Even for cosplay. No.

My problem lies in how I perceive myself. I see myself as not quite as goodlooking as I could be, with my sallow skin and baggy eyes and stick-thin arms. I'm still recovering from a major sickness that brought me down to about 80 pounds a couple years ago. It shows. I'm still sick, but I'm healthy enough to work at making myself better.

In the end, you can change some things, and you have to live with others. Do what you can do and accept what you can't. That's it. You have a few too many pounds? Change your lifestyle and you'll feel better for it. You don't like your nose? Learn to love it, or at least live with it.

Besides, I'd rather see someone in a great cosplay and a pimply face than a supermodel in a crappy cosplay made of costume satin and topped with a Party City wig.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Ilafatyu;
I am sorry you've been ill and hope your back to your old self soon.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
trmbngrl
Britt

My self-confidence has always been horrible and... for some reason I find myself drawn to characters that show off their stomach. My stomach is the worst part of my body ;A;
My sanity why
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmbngrl View Post
My self-confidence has always been horrible and... for some reason I find myself drawn to characters that show off their stomach. My stomach is the worst part of my body ;A;
My sanity why
Incorrect.
There isn't a 'worst' part of your body.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Incorrect.
There isn't a 'worst' part of your body.
My opinion on my body isn't incorrect though
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote