Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Chibicakes

Question Help - Rinoa's Ballroom Shoes

XD Well, I've got to say, TVTropes was right on the mark when they said these shoes are the bane of every Rinoa cosplayer.

Please keep in mind I have no idea where to put this exact topic, so I'm putting it here.

Reference Album
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SLL/...20Shoes%20Refs (Credit to Dani Rain for uploading the ballroom scene clip on their YouTube channel, which is where I got my screenshots in the ref album.)

Let me say it right now that I have found a pair of heels close to the shoes in question. It's found right here. However, I'm still open to suggestions on shoes that look close to this one in case I am on a tight budget.

So, I got a few questions for suggestions...

1. Since you can see how the back of Rinoa's shoes are designed, it's prompting me to get extra shoe straps/belts. These are the following that I found and I've no idea what to choose.

Shoe Straps Choice 1
Shoe Straps Choice 2 (If it doesn't immediately show the color I want, it's under White Satin.)

2. Because of this, I also need help picking what satin fabric colors match with the straps (you'll know in a bit why I need this, with my third question). Again, I have no idea what to choose.

Choice 1
Choice 2
Choice 3
Choice 4
Choice 5
Choice 6
Choice 7
Choice 8
Choice 9

(Again, you can make suggestions on other satin fabric from other sites. I wasn't sure about the satin fabric on Fashion Fabrics Club since they seem to aim more at clothes than anything else. But since I was told that I could find good satin fabric here, I hope to get suggestions.

Also, all JoAnn links have been removed from this post. Simply because 1) I realized Rinoa's shoes aren't shiny, so it means I'll be using matte/dull satin for this and 2) JoAnn is sorely lacking in the matte/dull satin department, color-wise.)

3. Finally, last question. So, the reason why I need satin fabric is because I plan to cut that fabric and glue it right on the shoes (since Rinoa's shoes are satin). Now, I've seen DIY tutorials on how to place fabric on your shoes/heels for customization, but I'm nervous to do it since I'm a total n00b. So, I'm asking all cosplayers here if you guys have done it before. And if you have, can you give suggestions/tips on what you have done? It would be highly appreciated if you're experienced on how to do this.

If you've read all of this, I thank you very much in advance! I really need help on this. ^^; Sorry for the long post and all of the questions I have.

Last edited by Chibicakes : 01-28-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Chibicakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Penlowe

It might be just me but all the joann's links are very slow and don't want to load.

Is it safe to assume you looked at dyeable bridal & party shoes first? Also look at dance shoes.

The thing about covering a shoe with a white satin is it's white satin... You need to buy the base shoe in the lightest color you can find, you need to actually seal or sew the edges of your satin before applying to the shoe and hot glue might work for vinyl, but on satin it'll look like hell.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Chibicakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
It might be just me but all the joann's links are very slow and don't want to load.

Is it safe to assume you looked at dyeable bridal & party shoes first? Also look at dance shoes.

The thing about covering a shoe with a white satin is it's white satin... You need to buy the base shoe in the lightest color you can find, you need to actually seal or sew the edges of your satin before applying to the shoe and hot glue might work for vinyl, but on satin it'll look like hell.
Hmmm, odd. It's working for me just fine. I'll double check on the links again, just to be sure.

I have and I have. XD My problem is that it's really hard to find what's needed. Like, if it's not the shoe size (because I have tiny feet and this has been a big problem for me, as far as these shoes are concerned), it's the shoe color (after all, I am trying to match her dress). If it's not the shoe color, it's the shoe material (basically, the white/ivory/cream satin heels seem to be all out of my price range and don't come so close to making my job easier on the shoes, design-wise). If it's not the shoe material, it's the shoe design (for obvious reasons). And yes, if it's not all of that, it's the price range.

Besides, even if I got white satin shoes straight off the bat, I'll probably need to add one or two more straps if they're slingbacks that don't come with ankle straps. Or if they have ankle straps, I'll need more than one strap to work at the back of the shoe to wrap around my heel to act as a slingback. And if those shoe straps I provided in my original post don't match the color of the shoes, then I may as well get shoe straps of different material and glue satin on those.

Mind you, I've been at this for nearly two months already, looking through all the shoes I can find (including, yes, dance shoes), and those shoes I found are my best bet.

Also, I don't plan to hot glue the fabric onto the shoes. Some tutorials I found about putting fabric on shoes, they suggest using Mod Podge glue. (There is also one other glue one tutorial suggested too, but I don't remember it for the life of me. I'll edit this post again in case I remember.)

Also... after watching the ballroom scene again, Rinoa's shoes don't look shiny. So, it's a big clue to me that I'll be gluing matte/dull satin on the shoes instead (all of those links I provided have satin with some sort of shine to it, so I should edit the original post again to provide links on those instead).

I will keep in mind the tips you've given me for gluing fabric onto the shoe. And I'm also glad you've responded to my post, so thank you very much. I thought nobody would respond to it, so I'm glad you were able to give me some insight.
Unread 01-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Chibicakes

Just letting you know that tge JoAnn links have been removed from the original post. They are sorely lacking in the matte/dull satin department, color wise.

.___.; Also, I did reply to your post, but I have to wait for a mod to approve it. Sorry about this, Penlowe.

Last edited by Chibicakes : 01-28-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
Penlowe

no worries.
Mod Podge will be a wet application, so any shine it had before, will go away anyway.
Unread 01-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #6
Chibicakes

You mean the satin itself will not shine anymore due to Mod Podge? I see.

Hmmm, I'm still conflicted on the fabric color, though.
Unread 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibicakes View Post
You mean the satin itself will not shine anymore due to Mod Podge? I see.

Hmmm, I'm still conflicted on the fabric color, though.
Mod Podge will affect color and texture/ finish appearance. it's designed for paper use, so wet glue on surface, covering thing, more wet glue over the top. i.e. it won't look very fabric-y if you use that technique. Totally ok when putting comic pages on a set of Converse high tops, but probably not the fancy dance shoe look you are going for.

Have you looked second hand? I find lots of worn-only-once dress up shoes every time I thrift shop.
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

Here's my philosophy on cosplay: it's better to have an inaccurate costume that looks professionally made than it is to have an accurate costume that is poorly made. Is it possible to find some white strappy heels that are close enough?

I've learned over the years that we all spend way too long on details that nobody else will notice other than people who have also cosplayed that character themselves, and even then they probably won't care.
CezzaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Penlowe

Quote:
it's better to have an inaccurate costume that looks professionally made than it is to have an accurate costume that is poorly made.
I have to agree with that, strongly.
Quality will always trump accuracy.