Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Ayabi

Need costume assistance? Post here!

We are happy to help any cosplayer, fledging or veteran, with any question or concern they may have! Many contributors to this little section of Coscom have been around for a while, and most have their own specialties when it comes to materials and techniques. If you're looking for someone experienced with Blizzard's universes to help with your costume woes, don't be afraid! Ask for help

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Tonksie

Maybe have it backpack style with slits in the poncho for the straps? That way you don't see the straps, but the poncho is unaltered?
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
DreamKitty
Living the Dream.

How can I add cracks into my craft foam armor to make it look more worn like Sylvanas'? I tried taking a butter knife and pressing the ridges into it, but that didn't really work. >___>; And right now my armor doesn't look very...aged. I don't know what to do. :/

Come visit my cosplay page~ DreamKitty Cosplay
DreamKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
DreamKitty
Living the Dream.

Yeah, like worn leather cracks. It's just coated in paint right now lol. I haven't even sealed it yet. >___>; I might try that hot needle trick. Thanks for the idea. :3

Unread 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Ayabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKitty View Post
Yeah, like worn leather cracks. It's just coated in paint right now lol. I haven't even sealed it yet. >___>; I might try that hot needle trick. Thanks for the idea. :3
You can also try heat tools from a craft store. A hot knife usually comes with a detail (skinny) tip which makes it easy to put cracks into armor. You will also have constant heat and more control with the tool It will set you back $8-15. Woodburning kits come with similar tools. Check prices and go for what seems best.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Schwarzwald
Nobody you know !

Unless you can find one with a super-low temp setting (not likely given the nature of the device) that won't work as well as you might think, a constant heat ends up being somewhat detrimental to the process - craft foam melts rather easily and we're just trying to score it, or I assume we're just trying to score it. ^_~

Last edited by Schwarzwald : 08-18-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: forgot my winky face
Schwarzwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Merodi
O HAI

If you're good at painting, you could always FAKE the cracking.
Merodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Mnemeth17

Ooo! I got this. Purposely bend your armor out of shape. It should craze (form wrinkles/cracks) due to the foam being bendy and the paint not. Bend multiple times to get deeper wrinkles. Then weather those in with black paint and it looks quite war torn! I can only guarantee that this will work for Rub 'N Buff painted craft foam, as I haven't ever painted it with acrylic or spray paint, which might crack/flake off versus just craze.
Mnemeth17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
DreamKitty
Living the Dream.

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, I really appreciate it. :3

@Ayabi: That seems like a bit safer idea. xD; I might experiment with that on some spare foam and see how it looks.

Last edited by DreamKitty : 08-19-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: detailed answer instead of a one-liner lol.
Unread 08-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #15
Ayabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKitty View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, I really appreciate it. :3

@Ayabi: That seems like a bit safer idea. xD; I might experiment with that on some spare foam and see how it looks.
Just be careful and don't focus the point too much. Definitely test on scraps to see how gently you should push and to get a good hand for it It will work, though. I used to do this for texture work.