Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
CrudNuts
fujoshi crudnuts orz

Would this custom pattern work?

So it's my first time cosplaying, and I have sewn a few things before. But would this custom pattern work? I cut out an old t shirt and just copied the structure of it and just tweaked a few things. I'm cosplaying Amon for Avatar:LOK and I'm around 5'3'' :C
http://tinypic.com/r/dpxv2c/6
Ref:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RWPFzaL_P8...0/Equalist.jpg
The pattern I came up with, Is what I'm just generalizing of how it's gonna turn out. I have 3 1/2 yards of fabric also, would that be enough? Thanks for any info?!
CrudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Have you tested out the pattern in a fabric similar to the shirt you cut up? and do you have any excess fabric besides the 3 and 1/2 yards mentioned?

If not, go get practice fabric that is similar to what you will be using
and make sure it's similar to the shirt you cut up...

I'm assuming that the shirt you trimmed up was a generally made "T-shirt" which is a knit fabric and if the fabric you have 3 and 1/2 yards of isn't knit, it may not fit the same way

any time I make a pattern from scratch...and since I make most of my patterns from scratch...
I do a test, or a sample, where I buy maybe the same amount for the finished project as I do of the practice fabric. This enables you to practice cutting it out, and sewing it together. seeing where it fits, how it fits and letting you know if the pattern you made will work how you envision it....

hope this helps! ^_^
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Penlowe

You may be in for a rough time. That character does not look like it should be done in a knit to me. Tee shirts stretch, that's why they don't have lots of seams. If your fabric isn't stretchy, go buy a real shirt pattern. Why reinvent the wheel? you can get patterns reasonably cheap with coupons and sales, and the hours and hours of 'tweaking' you will save by spending $5 is well worth it. Besides, you can use patterns over and over again, that is part of what makes them worth buying.