Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
AshofRebirth

How to alter a swimsuit to have spikes?

Hello there. I thought I would just straight up ask, because I'm still learning alot of things about sewing.

I'm making a Vaporeon Gijinka, and this is basically what I want to do:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs45/i/20...UFANGIRL11.jpg

I want it to be a one piece "swimming" suit, with the white collar (though, more raised like actual Vaporeon), with an attached tail. Oh, and then spikes along the spine.
I'm planning on getting a swimming suit pattern from Jo-ann's (Simplicity since they're on sale). My question is, what's the process to go about modifying the pattern to include the spikes? Or the best way to go about them?
I want them to be stiff and..well, spikey. I'm kinda leaning away from stuffing it with polyfill, because it seems to give it a more roundish look, like my example pic.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

the way that the girl in the first photo did it was a completely separate piece, look for a pattern more like an ice skating outfit in the swimsuit style. they tend to have a higher neckline and you can build off the neckline to accommodate for the style of collar you want.

as far as making it stiff, there are multiple ways to go about this, one would be to sew two layers to create the collar and then slip wire into it, you could sandwich sew in interfacing and quilt the lines on the fins with thread to give it a sectional effect.

You could also build a form out of hangers/hanger gauge wire wrapped in electrical tape and cover it with nylon tights to get a "fin-esc" structure or use Plastic wrap and vinyl (like in this process of making fairy wings http://www.yourfantasycostume.com/wi...ings-tutorials) to get more of a holographic appearance if you want to go more realistic vaporeon rather than immitation of the cartoon photo

Last edited by Ichigogami : 01-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Ichigogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

What do you mean a separate piece? The spikes is a separate piece or the tail..?
Thank you though! I found a ice skating pattern I like. I guess I'll have to order it online because the Kwik Sew catalog at Joann's doesn't have it. But it's on their website..

For the spikes, I think I'll go with interfacing idea. I'm just afraid of splitting the pattern down the middle back to add the spikes.. and not getting it centered. I'm afraid the pattern might not already come with a back seam.

Unread 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

I meant the neck piece she had on looked like it was a separate collar. The spikes and tail look like they are attached, if you look at the envelope or the pictures there should be a front and back view for the suit and most do have some sort of openning
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You don't have to cut the suits back to put in the spikes..just sew them straight onto it..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
AshofRebirth

Ichi: Ooohh okay. I think I'm just going to make mine with the collar attached though, if at all possible. Just to have less pieces to have to work with.
Thankfully the pattern I'm getting has a back seam! So I'm pretty sure I know what to do from there.
All that's left is figuring out how to attach the tail..

Jason: I don't think that would work.