Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
AshofRebirth

More PAX questions - Airbrush, and more

I know there's been alot of questions asked about PAX and I believe I've searched and read them all.
But now, I have a set of my own.

1. As per multiple threads I've read, I'm going to be getting a Paasche H with a Testor's compressor for use with make-up, PAX, and just generally starting off with an airbrush. I've used one once for maybe two hours when I volunteered to do an airbrush demo at work. It was a Testor's Azteck..or something. Dual-action? They gave us videos, so it was alright lol

Is that.. good? I want a quiet-ish compressor that I can take to hotel rooms at conventions. But. I don't want to pay anymore than 200 for it, right now. So Testor's just may be it.

2. I've read that you can dilute PAX to spray through an airbrush. I want to at least try this out, because we have 5 girls in our group that need partial to full body paint. With.. PAX. I want it to go as quickly as possible lol.

Does the durability of PAX go down as you dilute it? We chose PAX because it won't budge and it's useful for getting custom colors (as opposed to AA). Of course it's either or. Spraying pure PAX through an airbrush would be madness.

3. We'll be doing this in a hotel *flinch* Something we really can't avoid because the cosplay this is for is on Saturday. Most are arriving Friday
What are some precautions to take to you know.. not get fined? I was thinking of buying a cheap vinyl shower curtain and placing it on the outside of the shower (if those are able to be changed. Or just tape it down. Or something. Just so absolutely no overspray gets anywhere. I wouldn't move my position. The subject would have to turn about so that I'm always spraying straight at the curtain. And then I read I should probably buy extra cheap scurbs and towels for clean up after the day. Because PAX ruins everything

4. This is a general PAX question. While I heard it's good to moisturize before you put PAX on, does it help to prime the face or anything, or is that totally unnecessary?

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!

Last edited by AshofRebirth : 01-15-2013 at 04:43 PM.
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Falclon

I haven't used it with an airbrush before but I can help with the other stuff.

It would probably be good to bring an extra curtain, but "PAX ruins everything" is not true. If you have Isopropyl Myristate, everything you can't scratch off can be removed through this. I have a few pieces of clothing that were almost coated in PAX and now all of them are perfectly fine. Not to say you shouldn't be careful.

For me I did not bother moisturizing before putting it on because I never needed to. I suppose it depends on your skin type. I would suggest making sure you are as clean as possible though. Wash your face before putting it on. Also warning you now: you will not be able to make very many facial expressions with PAX.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

I just read that towels and scrubbies will get gummed up with gluey bits. Either way, I think I'll recommend them to get extra ones.

Right. I'm planning on getting IM. Do you any suggestions where to get some? Is there a brand name or do I just search for Isopropyl Myristate? I dunno.

As for the facial expressions: I read that if you play with the ratio (more pros-aide than paint) it helps a bit?

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

What you want is called a studio compressor. Most quite compressors are more expensive but the small ones are not so loud as to be disruptive to neighbors in a hotel. These are not loud like a construction garage compressor. Studio compressors are made to be quite for your own sake.I may run one of my compressors for an 11 hr day but your just going to be at it about 3 hours so so I am guessing. When we get gigs that require travel we've picked up small $100 compressors at Harbour Freight and run them in hotel rooms, nightclubs and such w/o concern.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote