Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

What IS Special Effects makeup?

I think this is completely off topic because it doesn't relate to cosplay in the least (unless fixing masks and making monsters of regular people counts?) but actually a job I really want. Really, really want.

My friend works for a giant haunted house in our area. I freaking love makeup, though its more editorial than wearable (I bleed confidence in terms of my makeup). Knowing this, she's offered to talk to the head of the haunt's makeup team and he's asked to see my work I've done at home. I don't really know what counts and what doesn't though!

A Google search did nothing but bring up schools (meh...) and SFX brands. Not that helpful. I need to know, what is special effects makeup considered? More accurately, what would be in that field? I haven't done prosthetics (I'm too poor for Pros-Aide, Rigid Collodion, etc) but I did make a nasty wound with lash adhesive, liquid lipstick and gloss. That was during class in school, so obviously not appropriate.

I'm going to try out bruises soon enough, so I have more to show and try to use lash adhesive & tissue paper (a pretty well known trick) to make a scar/wound.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

I think it's anything that makes it look like someone has a feature they don't actually have (so bodypaint or day-to-day cosmetic makeup aren't SFX), so that would mean latex prosthetics, but can mean smaller stuff like fake scars or moles.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I think it's anything that makes it look like someone has a feature they don't actually have (so bodypaint or day-to-day cosmetic makeup aren't SFX), so that would mean latex prosthetics, but can mean smaller stuff like fake scars or moles.
I haven't had the chance to Spirit Gum prosthetics to someone (I want to though...) since I've never found them necessary in my costumes for Halloween or otherwise, but I did make something like scar liquid for prosthetics but didn't get to use it properly. I did do this, the wound mentioned above. I don't think my skeletal face makeup would count. (´・_・`) I have enough knowledge from tutorials to do it at home though I don't have the products; just lash adhesive, gelatin (I think) for prosthetics and corn syrup, maybe some food coloring.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote