Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 06-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

Not losing ANY weight despite eating less and exercising?

I have been trying to lose weight for months, to no avail. >_<;. I am about 99% sure I don't go over calorie budget (it's supposed to be some absurd amount, 2,344. I don't eat even close to it. I'd have to eat McDonald's twice a day to go over that. And I don't), and I take about a 1.5-3 mile walk at least 5 days a week (when possible. I need to find indoor exercises for the hot/rainy days coming up).
But yet, the weight is going NOWHERE. I have maybe lost 10 pounds in 6 months. I should have been at the TARGET I want to be in 6 months, not near the same.
Lately, I have dropped the calories I eat to 1200, which I hear is what I am SUPPOSED to do. It's only been 5 days, so I don't expect anything yet. But it's actually been RISING, as opposed to falling. I went up 3 pounds somehow. And I've been counting calories to make sure it doesn't go over 1,200. I've been eating roughly 1,100 to 1,300 (one day went over, but I did exercise that day) all week. And went for a walk 3 of 5 days (it rained today OTL.)

I was wondering.. what am I doing wrong? I just don't get this. Do any of you have any advice on how to actually lose weight? And in case it matters.. I'm 6'1'' tall.

Friday: Louise, Familiar of Zero
Saturday: Lily Baskerville, Pandora Hearts

If it isn't like 95:
Friday: Louise, Familiar of Zero
Saturday: Rin Tohsaka

Anime Central 2017:
I have NO clue. If I can lose the weight, I want to cosplay Ruler from Fate/Apocrypha.
Ashton_Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
my_dark
really should be sewing~

Please, please, please do not restrict your diet to only 1200 calories per day, especially if you’re 6’1”. Your body needs a certain number of calories each day to function properly. If you’re not eating enough, your body shifts into ‘starvation mode’ and retains body fat in order to survive. That’s likely why you gained weight despite eating less.

I’m a similar height at 5’10” and my calorie needs are around 2600 per day. When I incorporate my strength training and cardio, it increases to around 2900. So really, your daily amount of 2344 is pretty reasonable. In order to lose weight, you do need to have a caloric deficit, but it might be a good idea to speak with a dietician or medical professional who can create a meal plan to help you lose weight safely.

Another important thing to think about is the types of food you eat, rather than just the number of calories per day. For example, you can get 500 calories from a Starbucks Venti Caramel Frappuccino. However, there’s a lot of sugar and not much food value in that drink. If you were to eat 500 calories worth of fruits and vegetables throughout the day, it would have a more positive effect on your body and you’d also be gaining nutrients. Drinking enough water and getting adequate sleep will also help with your weight-loss goals.

If you’re looking for a great indoor workout, I’d totally recommend HIIT (high intensity interval training). All you need is floor space as the movements are almost always bodyweight. I love darebee’s 30 days of HIIT and you can choose different levels based on your activity level. The link is here if you’re interested: http://darebee.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions and good luck!!
Unread 06-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Part of that may be the fact that your gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat- scales can be pretty deceptive. I haven't been actually fit for a good while, but back when I did jiujitsu, which was what originally got me from size 14 and in terrible shape to really dang fit, my actual weight on the scale only budged a max of fifteen pounds over about a year. HOWEVER, I dropped two pant sizes and had absolutely no arm or back flab that had been there when I started, so it was pretty dang obvious I was losing fat while I put on muscle). Did you take any measurements of yourself before you started? If so, take new ones and compare them, you may find out you actually were losing fat while gaining muscle weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
ImpossibltyGirl

1200 calories is pretty low for your height! I would try to maybe eat around 1500-1800. I'm 5'7 and I eat between 1300 and 1500 (usually 1500!) with a goal of losing 1.5/2 lbs a week. But, if you'd like a more exact number, try using this calculator? It's where I generated my number from.
https://www.healthstatus.com/calcula...to-lose-weight

Also, instead of just walks, might I suggest running? You don't have to run the whole time, but intermittently getting your heart rate up is supposed to be really good for fat burning, if you're able to do it. As said above, try researching interval training! adding a little bit to your walking routine might really help.

As for those extra 3 pounds...don't sweat that! weights fluctuate a lot throughout the day depending on what you eat and even how much sodium you've had (water weight!). It's also totally possible you might be changing in ways the scale can't show. Try taking progress pics in addition to measurements; those might show results better than the scale.

I'm no nutritionist but I hope this helps and good luck!!
ImpossibltyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
xiriox

I'm gonna be real with you, walking is great if you've always been stationary beforehand but if you want real weightloss you need to put in real work. Of course if you're lazy like me you want an easy way out. Look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) routines to do. They generally never take more than half an hour, you don't need a gym for most of them, and you will BURN FAT WHILE GAINING MUSCLE. I love being a snorlax, when it starts hitting me I do HIIIT to go back to a shape im happy with then I keep at my double cheeseburgers. You will see the results as easy as 2 weeks time.

Also please don't starve yourself as you are doing. It's counter intuitive and will actually slow your efforts at weight loss. If you refuse to believe it my only advice is small meals regularly throughout the day. Eat an apple in between meals. If your digestive system is always active it will continue to burn through fat throughout the day. I couldnt weight lift in college because like you there was no way I'd meet the absurd calorie demands but that doesnt mean you cant make healthier eating habits to help you. No dinner binge eating, water over everything else, lean protein (chicken and fish) and veggies and wholewheat helps. Fruits must be your new favorite snack.

Also as previous peeps have pointed out, weight isnt the real issue so much as burning fat is.

The fact that you started means you're on the right track and you have seen progress so don't give up! Just switch things up if progress gets slow and try to have fun with it!
xiriox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Cirrusnet

Not eating enough calories can make your body go in to starvation mode, and can even cause weight gain. I advise high protien food during your first meal because it will keep you feeling full throughout the day and give you energy for working out. Or maybe make a healthy smoothie with protein powder to add a few extra calories, and the protein will make you feel full.
Cirrusnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
ZebadiahStone
Zebadiah Stone

One trick I did for a snack is fruits, but I also do grilled chicken nuggets for the protein. I do batched of half a breast for snacks and only add spices (avoiding salt) to give me energy during the day and reduce the sugar (even natural) intake so it's not converted to fat.
ZebadiahStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
KatTayle
Human, not a machine

Starvation mode's a myth, as long as you take in less calories than you burn you'll lose weight. It might go a bit slower at first though because of the sudden shift? I'm not sure about that part, at 1200 you should have lost at least some weight. Are you sure you're counting your calories right? I'd double check the calories on some things at least once or twice, I've had a couple times where I thought a food item was way less than it was. Food scales and measuring cups are your friends.

Also, how hydrated are you? Most of that 3 pounds is likely water weight, which can be flushed out by drinking more liquids and using the restroom more frequently. A lot of the times that I plateaued, I was only drinking 1-2 cups of water a day, I've found that the scale's a lot more accurate now that I'm drinking more. Make sure that you're counting the calories in drinks if they're not water too lol

This one's kinda TMI but... you're not constipated, are you? I gain a few pounds whenever I am, if you're not going at least once every 1-2 days I'd add more fiber to your diet. I use Fiber One to get my daily amount since it's only like 200 calories for a bowl, and pretty filling. Lots of fruits and vegetables have fiber too.

If all else fails, maybe try asking your doctor or something about what you could do? It's possible, though probably unlikely, that you might have some sort of medical condition that's making it harder for you to lose the weight.

Oh! One more thing! It's possible the scale is off. Try to weigh in at the same time, in the same position, whenever you weigh in. I had a problem at the beginning of my weight loss where if I tilted a bit forwards/backwards on the scale, it'd add a pound or two. Plus, it'd take off like 10 pounds if I had it on the rug opposed to the tile. Then I ended up getting a new scale which had similar problems but it was also 2 pounds off from the original one.

Hopefully some of that helped lol, sorry it's a bit long :P

Planned Cosplays:

- Noa Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 60%
- Noa Kaiba (Pajama outfit) (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 32%
- Forthington (Rhythm Heaven): 15%
- Pitcher (Rhythm Heaven): 0%
- Mayor Katya (Animal Crossing): 33%

Currently losing weight for cosplay! Start: 160 (Dec 23 2015) Current: 110.4 (July 26 2016) Goal: 110/105/100 (before Banzai 2016)
KatTayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Anchors View Post
I have been trying to lose weight for months, to no avail. >_<;. I am about 99% sure I don't go over calorie budget (it's supposed to be some absurd amount, 2,344. I don't eat even close to it. I'd have to eat McDonald's twice a day to go over that. And I don't), and I take about a 1.5-3 mile walk at least 5 days a week (when possible. I need to find indoor exercises for the hot/rainy days coming up).
But yet, the weight is going NOWHERE. I have maybe lost 10 pounds in 6 months. I should have been at the TARGET I want to be in 6 months, not near the same.
Lately, I have dropped the calories I eat to 1200, which I hear is what I am SUPPOSED to do. It's only been 5 days, so I don't expect anything yet. But it's actually been RISING, as opposed to falling. I went up 3 pounds somehow. And I've been counting calories to make sure it doesn't go over 1,200. I've been eating roughly 1,100 to 1,300 (one day went over, but I did exercise that day) all week. And went for a walk 3 of 5 days (it rained today OTL.)

I was wondering.. what am I doing wrong? I just don't get this. Do any of you have any advice on how to actually lose weight? And in case it matters.. I'm 6'1'' tall.
When you changed the diet to 1200 calories, did you just cut food or did you change some foods?

I found that when I went vegan, cutting out meat and dairy made immediately changed the game.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdV...fgPL9mNxnCGgRw
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
mirrorsaber
Retired

Its probably your diet and not working hard enough. I switched junk food to fruits, veggies and whole grains and that helped me a lot As well as lean meats. If you are vegtarian, veggie burgers and such will work but Im not an expert on that field.

Also, dont restrict too many calories like everyone said. And if you are sweating, that means you are burning calories. Just dont overdo it. If you feel like passing out, take a break.

Hope thst helps.

next costume- Just repairing/making new stuff I never tried as of now.
mirrorsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #11
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

How fast are you eating? If you're eating too fast that may be affecting your weight loss no matter how healthy you eat, try eating slowly and calmed.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
Yog0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusnet View Post
Not eating enough calories can make your body go in to starvation mode, and can even cause weight gain. I advise high protien food during your first meal because it will keep you feeling full throughout the day and give you energy for working out. Or maybe make a healthy smoothie with protein powder to add a few extra calories, and the protein will make you feel full.
Starvation mode is not a thing.

That being said be careful on how much you are losing all at once. Depending on your body fat % your fat can only be burned at a certain rate. Beyond that and the body decides to burn muscle which is not good.

Things like water retention, your rate of #2, when you actually weight yourself can all disguise what is actually happening your body. Weigh yourself once a week in the morning, log it into something like My Fitness Pal and aim for a 500 calorie deficit a day. That's 1 pound a week. 50 weeks that's 50 pounds. It isn't a sprint, its a marathon.
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote