Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
cutiepiesensei

Getting a cosplay booty?

Haha this one is a little weird.

So I'm very skinny.....not much hips. I have boobs and a naturally toned stomach but no butt whatsoever and my arms are twigs. I blame genetics. My mom has extra weight on her but the frame underneath is the exact same.

So what type of exercise and diet plan would yall suggest for me getting that butt up?
cutiepiesensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
CharlesHouseii
Pulp Added Cosplay

Squats.
CharlesHouseii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiesensei View Post
Haha this one is a little weird.

So I'm very skinny.....not much hips. I have boobs and a naturally toned stomach but no butt whatsoever and my arms are twigs. I blame genetics. My mom has extra weight on her but the frame underneath is the exact same.

So what type of exercise and diet plan would yall suggest for me getting that butt up?
I mean, I'm no expert, but I do lift. I hate giving answers without context. I could tell you what I do, without a background in exercise science that's the best I can go on. But, that's not necessarily going to be right for you. What were you thinking you might do? Starting somewhere is the most important part. I think the best plans for diet/exercise (especially when someone is a beginner) always start there. It's one of those things you just learn and get a little better at incrementally as you go.

Personally, for food, I stole Living Ichigo's cosplay fitness diet three years ago and never looked back. I enjoy counting macros and I have made adjustments to that basic template as I learned and figured out what I liked. It gave me somewhere to start. Worst comes to worst, I could give you that if you want...I mean, it's out there anyways and does give a good idea of what a fitness macro diet plans looks like - assuming you wanna dive in like that.

For exercise, start with exercises you feel comfortable with and if this is really something you like, you'll build from there. It tends to happen that way. Squats are a possibility. It's the classic lower body exercise.

Also, I think it's not a bad idea to find a fitness youtuber you like. I watch a lot of the ChelseaLifts videos right now, and I think she's kinda fun to follow. It's one of those "the more immersed, the farther you'll get" type of things.

Yup. Hope all this wasn't useless. -jAe

getatme: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
5kyMarshall
The Sky's The Limit

If you have absolutely nothing there, you will probably need to start exercising heavy.
Watch what you eat, you will need quite some intake to build yourself up, but not too much you just gain fat.

Squats are going to be your bread and butter, as it will do everything you are looking for.
Make sure you mix it up though.

Deadlifts
Cleans
Lunges

I'm sure you get the idea. To get most out of it, get the FORM CORRECT and really clench those butt muscles at every extension to get everything out of every repetition you do.

And run, jog, walk. They all make a difference.
5kyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
trinityangel

There is a great book you can read called Strong Curves. It has workouts in it specifically designed for the booty, can be done at home with minimal equipment, and works.

I ran 2 cycles (24 weeks) last year and it really helped to up my booty game!

There is a reason why Bret Contreras is known as the Glute Guy
trinityangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
FNS
Ours is the Fury

Squats are a great exercise, but be sure to do them safely. It's also good to incorporate other barbell lifts and create a real workout routine for yourself. I highly recommend "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's an excellent place to start if you've never lifted before, and the book will give you confidence that you're doing the exercises correctly.

Check out my blog at flissofthenorthstar.blogspot.com
Come hang out and play some games at twitch.tv/flissofthenorthstar
FNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
trinityangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNS View Post
Squats are a great exercise, but be sure to do them safely. It's also good to incorporate other barbell lifts and create a real workout routine for yourself. I highly recommend "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's an excellent place to start if you've never lifted before, and the book will give you confidence that you're doing the exercises correctly.
While I think that starting strength is a great book, and squats are a great exercise and all, they are not the best exercise for building the booty.

Bret contreras showed with EMG that there is greater glute activation with the hip thruster than in the squat. You can read the paper on Pubmed if you really want.

And if you are short, squats tend to activate the quads more than anything else, which most females dont need, since the majority of females are quad dominant to begin with.

Starting strength is good if you want to build strength, but its not a hypertrophy program, and its not geared toward maximizing the glutes.

If you want to build a booty, then follow a program designed for building a booty.
Unread 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
cutiepiesensei

I'll check out Bret contreras. Thanks! And I'm tall I think (5'9" barefoot) but I may just be doing squats wrong. I either can never get all the way down, or I only feel it in my legs, not my butt. I don't mind doing a diet change to a certain extent; I feel like if I make a diet that's too strict, I'm much more liable to break it. I probably eat about 1800 calories a day. Some days more, some less.

I had hoped to find a regimen that I can do 3-4 days out of the week. I used to be a bit of a runner/jogger, which I partially think is why I am the way I am. I'm just kinda naturally shaped this way, and in fact running has tended to lessen my curves if anything else. If I do go for a run, I typically do about 3 miles interval training in an area with a lot of large hills.

Thanks you guys for your help so far!!!
Unread 09-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
trinityangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiesensei View Post
I'll check out Bret contreras. Thanks! And I'm tall I think (5'9" barefoot) but I may just be doing squats wrong. I either can never get all the way down, or I only feel it in my legs, not my butt. I don't mind doing a diet change to a certain extent; I feel like if I make a diet that's too strict, I'm much more liable to break it. I probably eat about 1800 calories a day. Some days more, some less.

I had hoped to find a regimen that I can do 3-4 days out of the week. I used to be a bit of a runner/jogger, which I partially think is why I am the way I am. I'm just kinda naturally shaped this way, and in fact running has tended to lessen my curves if anything else. If I do go for a run, I typically do about 3 miles interval training in an area with a lot of large hills.

Thanks you guys for your help so far!!!
Oh you tall people have it much harder in the muscle building department. It takes more muscle to fill out a taller frame. But you get the long legs and can reach the top shelf, so it evens out

Strong curves is a 3 - 4 day program, depending on how you choose to run it.

And with running, you more than likely are quad dominant, usually that is the exact reason females are so quad dominant... everyone likes to cardio. And yes, running will make you lose the "curves" since running makes you better at .... running and it only builds those areas used for running..... plus most people have horrid running mechanics in the first place....

You dont have to have a diet that is strict. I follow flexible dieting, which means no foods are off limits, as long as they fit in my macros for the day.

And before people go off the deep end, my diet is usually heavy in lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats. I just work things in.

My current macros are 140g protein/ 185g carbs/ and 40g of fat. I weigh 115.

Im willing to bet that 1800 is either close to your maintenance, but in order to gain weight, you need to be slightly over that in order to give the muscle fuel and "building blocks" to get bigger.

This is also all explained in the book as well.

For the squat issue, thats tough to diagnose online, it could be that being so tall you may not be able to get real deep into the squat, you may need to adopt a wider stance and always push through the heels. It could also be an ankle flexibility issue as well, but again, i couldnt be sure without seeing it.

I think the strong curves program would be good, the beginners routine would regress you a bit so that your squat could get better. And trust me, i cant do hip thrusters now without my glutes cramping, so you know they are firing. I dont get anything from squats but quad work due to the way im built.
Unread 09-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityangel View Post
Im willing to bet that 1800 is either close to your maintenance, but in order to gain weight, you need to be slightly over that in order to give the muscle fuel and "building blocks" to get bigger.
Important.

I like squats, but I don't all the way down either, just parallel or a little lower. I experimented with a few stance widths but it didn't seem to make a difference. There was always only one that felt right. I actually feel like when I go "ass to grass", I'm not using my leg muscles anymore and it's all in the joints almost. It kind of bothers my knees a lot actually. So after a while, I said screw it and I've been happily at parallel with the stance that feels right. I push my pelvis forward at the top, too, a lot like a deadlift - I feel like it finishes out my form and puts more into the butt at the end. But, all I can really say for sure is that my butt does usually hurt the next day after a heavy squat set to failure. Never really tracked butt measurements.

I believe you have to feel out an exercise and land at a place that works for your body and level of athleticism. If you feel like you're not making progress, then you can look into it more - but until then, why fix what is not broke just because some youfit guy says something contrary?

getatme: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
Viveeh
mango puff

Eat a lot and get lots and lots of protein.
Journey Traveler
Dream Emulator

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
FNS
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityangel View Post
Bret contreras showed with EMG that there is greater glute activation with the hip thruster than in the squat. You can read the paper on Pubmed if you really want.

And if you are short, squats tend to activate the quads more than anything else, which most females dont need, since the majority of females are quad dominant to begin with.

Starting strength is good if you want to build strength, but its not a hypertrophy program, and its not geared toward maximizing the glutes.

If you want to build a booty, then follow a program designed for building a booty.
Excellent point about Bret Contreras. I think I would be more inclined for a strength building workout as a matter of general preference, but there's no reason you can't do hip thrusters and squats as you build your program!

Eating enough is really important either way. Slowly ramping up the amount you eat, and keeping track of what you're eating helps a lot. I've yet to find an app I'm really happy with to help with that, but MyFitnessPal is probably the best I've used so far.

Check out my blog at flissofthenorthstar.blogspot.com
Come hang out and play some games at twitch.tv/flissofthenorthstar
FNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
chupachan

What FNS said. Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" is excellent for beginner lifters (or any lifters really).
But mostly: squats. Weighted for best results, but unweighted are good too. Front squats, back squats, overhead squats, sumo squats, jump squats. I highly recommend a 5x5 program (that's 5 sets of 5 reps as heavy as you can manage.)
You can throw in lunges too if you like.
Lots of different exercises will help, but if your goal is to get a nice shapely butt with the least amount of time and planning: squats all the way.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
The_Auto_Tech

No, SS is not a hypertrophy program. It was designed to maximize strength, which is what most people need. A lot of people get hung up on the idea that looking strong means you are strong. Not the case. Also, SS teaches the basics of proper barbell training which is translate from now until the day you die. Proper barbell training will train the muscles you need to keep you out of the nursing home early. Also, if you would like to get into lifting also read the book Becoming a Supple Leopard. It expands upon SS and lifting in general and is a great book to read to ensure you a properly setting up for lifts and performing them correctly. I specifically do power lifting in a gym that is power lifting only and we have quite a few women that train there. In fact, one of them is a current World Record holder. Hip thrusters may work the quads themselves more, but squatting is an entire body workout. I've found much more interest in barbell training than circuit training using machines and dumbbells.
The_Auto_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
cutiepiesensei

Wow you guys really know your stuff!! Thanks for all the info!!