Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Closed Thread
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Banditx
Xya~

Toned/flat tummy in 4 months?

I'm going to Anime Boston as Halibel from Bleach and I have a pudgy tummy, right now I'm at 143lbs, what are some good exercises to do to get my tummy flatter by May?
Bleach - Rukia Kuchiki Anime Boston 2013

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
CosplayerKirito
"The Invisible"

Good question. I, too, would like to know this. I'll do some research, just in case no other replies come in.
Heathcliff
Asuna
Yoruichi (Bleach)
Ino Yamanaka 75% (Need wig cut and styled)
Conventions Planned:
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
FireInMyEyes
Native American Overlord

Intervals of crunches/sit ups. When it starts to burn, that's when you know it's working.

Always be moving. If your sitting down watching TV, do squats or crunches.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but if you keep it up everyday, you'll be flat and fabulous in four months. Just don't give up even if you see no progress.

"I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why,sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!
-The White Queen
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Simple. Do a combination of the following.

Eat less

Move more.

Incoporate planks, hollow body excercizes and handstands as well. If you have enough strength, flags, dragon flags and windscreen wipers.

Last edited by Arbite : 02-03-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Banditx
Xya~

I'm always on my feet at work so it's sort of my workout for the day.
9 hours a day moving freight, picking it up, putting it back, ect.

Planks, I'm still horrible at.
I have no idea what hollow body exercises are. :/
Bleach - Rukia Kuchiki Anime Boston 2013
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio and cardio. It's that important. Running is a full-body exercise and your core is especially targeted. The abdominals remain tense for the whole exercise, as long as you do not stop. I shoot for 2-miles at least, 3 times a week for a 5 day work-out plan. I'd start doing what you can, as long as you don't stop until until are done or absolutely can't go another inch.

I like situps too, but if I'm working out my abdominals really well - it means regular running, stairmaster and treadmill sprints at the gym, multiple sets of situps and really doing all the machines targeting core muscles (or as many as I can fit into 1-1.5 hours). I'm a big fan of the gym, there's no replacement for its resources, unless you're doing p90x at home (but I don't really like being sweaty in my living room - gross).

Oats are real good. I mean the raw or "old-fashioned" kind with no sugar. body-builder dudes will swear that oats have a magical effect of soaking up belly fat *shrugs*. I eat 1 cup of old-fashioned oats for breakfast and a 1/3-1/2 cup about 1-2 hours before I go to bed with a protein drink, so I've clearly been drinking the cool-aid. I think they taste pretty good actually, especially with a banana.

Honestly, if you really want to see REAL results (Harribel has a stomach that I could worship, too), you have to workout your whole-body hard 4-5 days a week and be strict about what food you put into your body. There's no circumventing it. It all starts there.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 02-03-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
SaviSunshine7

I agree with 12WolfZ! Cardio is your best friend in this situation Zumba, a latin-american dance program, helped me a TON! i have lost inches on my tummy fast. It is a really good workout for you core and also abs and leg muscles! Plus it is a lot more fun than situps xp
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Kaliza

The best thing you can do for a flabby stomach usually is to lose weight. If you want to improve muscle tone in your stomach, planks are good, or other core exercises.
Sit ups and crunches are ineffective as they really only work one muscle, don't even work it very well, and most people don't do them properly anyway.

Last edited by Kaliza : 02-04-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditx View Post
I'm always on my feet at work so it's sort of my workout for the day.
9 hours a day moving freight, picking it up, putting it back, ect.

Planks, I'm still horrible at.
I have no idea what hollow body exercises are. :/
http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow-body

A lot harder than it looks, firt time I ever did one properly I nearly threw up.

Planches are also fantastic, but do require a great deal of strength.

Last edited by Arbite : 02-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
nikkiolie

Doing crunches will not slim your stomach down. In fact you may find that it makes your stomach look bigger because it is just building muscle under the fat. You need to lose the fat and in order to do that do cardio and I would strongly suggest high intensity interval training since it burns more fat than regular cardio. The other thing that I recommend is lifting weights. Squats, bench press, push ups, pull ups, and dips. All these work multiple large muscle groups which will help boost your metabolism when you are not working out and help you burn off the fat. All of those exercises also work your core out. Don't get me wrong you will need crunches and other core exercise to strengthen your stomach but doing them alone will not get you anywhere. Also lift heavy weights, don't be afraid of getting big and bulky because you wont. In order to get that lean look you are looking for you need to lift heavy weights.

The other part is diet. You need to eat less calories than you burn. And limit your bad fat and maximize your good fats. Fats from meats and avocados, nuts, oils and so on are good. I personally go for 40% of calories from protein and carbs and 20% of calories from fat. Eat the good carbs: fruits, veggies, brown rice, oats, wheat bread and so on, avoid the cakes, donuts, sodas, blablabla.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Higpi
No.

I swear, search up brazillian butt lift on youtube or on google. Not only does it help your legs but also your belly. With p90x it only takes 3 months. Brazillian butt lift takes 6 weeks if you do it the right way and stick to it. Since i'm in water polo and doing these all at the same time, it may be different from my results. But do p90x and brazillian butt lift. Insanity will also work if you don't want to ise p90x. I've been doing these for months and I don't regret it. Also, if you use brazillian butt lift, your thighs will not be touching each other as it will get thinner and more toned out. Most people who uses brazillian butt lift end up getting that 'gap'. And it's true. Personal experience here.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
a n g e l i n a

I was also curious about this. I've got a 1/4 marathon I'm training for the summer so I've already worked running between 3 and sometimes up to 7 miles into my schedule in rising increments (although I've taken off the last three weeks due to shin splints, that time of the month, then being awfully awfully sick). 12WolfZ your specific suggestions are SUPER helpful, thank you thank you! Also Higpi you've totally sold me on Brazilian butt lift. My upper thighs have always touched and the "gap" although I hate the more negative connotation to the word itself is something I've always wanted to. I'm planning on looking it up asap!
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
palindromia

I didn't read through the thread much so I may be repeating what others have already said (sorry!), but crunches aren't going to flatten your tummy. Strengthening exercises (like crunches and sit ups) build muscle but they don't burn a significant amount of fat. You need to do a lot of cardio in addition to strengthening. Also, and I'm speaking from experience here, you can't just exercise your ass off and expect to get your ideal body without changing the way you eat. Being in shape is a lifestyle thing. Diet is EXTREMELY important. I'd recommend keto personally if you want to lose weight quick and in a healthy manner. I'm on keto longterm now for health reasons but I originally had tried it in order to shed some weight for my Harley Quinn cosplay and it definitely did the trick. Best of luck!
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Somsai
Guyver 01

Ab exercises do shit to flatten the tummy.

Ever heard of the saying. "Abs aren't made in the gym. They are made in the kitchen."?

Working out is just a "tool" people use to speed up their results (just a bit).
People are led to believe cardio is the best way to lose fat.
Focus on your diet, then worry about cardio.
No point in all that hard work if your diet sucks.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindromia View Post
I didn't read through the thread much so I may be repeating what others have already said (sorry!), but crunches aren't going to flatten your tummy. Strengthening exercises (like crunches and sit ups) build muscle but they don't burn a significant amount of fat. You need to do a lot of cardio in addition to strengthening. Also, and I'm speaking from experience here, you can't just exercise your ass off and expect to get your ideal body without changing the way you eat. Being in shape is a lifestyle thing. Diet is EXTREMELY important. I'd recommend keto personally if you want to lose weight quick and in a healthy manner. I'm on keto longterm now for health reasons but I originally had tried it in order to shed some weight for my Harley Quinn cosplay and it definitely did the trick. Best of luck!
This^^^

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Closed Thread