Losing weight is always a perplexing dilemma. No one diet works. There isn't a magic pill (if there was, we'd all get the desired body) or those BS "meal replacements" etc. You literally have to work your butt off. Let alone, be strict on yourself.
Losing weight generally falls under a few categories :
1. Daily intake of food. Good vs Bad. what to eat vs. what you should not eat.
2. Moderate to Severe workout. Cardio can only do so much unless you're a marathon runner. But specifically speaking, you will need to go against gravity (lift weights)
3. SLEEP. My god sleep is when your body does the best.
4. Reduce stress level. Now this is the hardest of all. High levels of stress really hurts your weight loss, muscle gains, well anything positive. Having reduced stress will DRASTICALLY help you.
5. After losing the weight, keeping it off. There are so many people who reach their end goal only to bloat back again because they get sloppy.
6. Staying fit is expensive. Seriously, if you can go to a farmers market, go when they're about to close or the last 30 min. You can get a lot of good fruits and veggies for cheaper since they need to get rid of their crop.
Generally speaking, there is a calorie intake you should be aiming for. NEVER skip meals, if you do, your body will "store" fats and will make you bloat/ get fatter faster. If you're trying to get bigger/grow muscles, you need to feed yourself so your muscles dont cannibalize itself.
It's all about timing and what to eat and when to eat. For me personally, I eat every 3~4 hours. The big 3 breakfast lunch dinner, and 2~4 in between snacks of either a good fat (unsalted nuts, avocados) or good carb or both
High LEAN protein such as a steak, buffalo, elk, chicken. Do not eat lamb...sadly lamb is very fatty
Good Carbs : brown rice, quinoa, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.
Good fats : unsalted nuts, avocados
Good veggies : what ever veggies you like minus lettuce....it's just water and have little to no nutritional value. Nothing from a can.
To assist your weight loss, you can grab a thermogenic (stimulated or non-stimulated...depending on how caffeine affects you) and will assist your weight loss
Genetics also plays a huge role as well.
That pretty much sums it up. Once you get the discipline, keep it. Losing weight takes months while gaining weight takes days