Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Zubban

Chrono Trigger Wig Help

Hello friends,

I'm currently working on a foamcore wig of Crono from the video game Chrono Trigger and I'm not so sure exactly how to proceed. I'm hoping someone can critique me on the spikes I have made so far although my biggest gripe is how to make the front reference look like the back reference. I believe its impossible and I should just do a combination of both and reach an aesthetic combination of both: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92320905@N03/

I'm also not certain how to proceed from here. I believe I will wrap the spikes in newspaper and put it on a shaven wig and then proceed to lay wefts on it as dictated by this tutorial: http://kyokyogirl.deviantart.com/art...rial-163280426. However I have taken the extra step of using foam so I'm not sure if this applies to me.

Thanks a lot for reading and I hope to get some answers. >.>

Katsucon
Anime Boston
Anime Expo
Otakon

Currently Working On:
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Yang Wen-li (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
Zubban is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

if you use newspaper make sure to paint it the color of the wig. personally i think the front is fine, just when you put the wefts on place some in the frontot make it move a little better. otherwise looks great and good luck!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

You can just paint your foam at this point or just seal it with white glue first then paint it. The newspaper was used as the base material in the yugioh example.

Sew/Glue down your foam pieces to the wig. Bald the areas where they are going to be glued down to the wig by removing the wefts there for later use.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Zubban

Thanks for the replies guys! It's a nice confidence booster as this is my first time doing this and everything is pretty much unknown territory.

Regarding white gluing the foam would that apply to me if the foam shreds easily? To clarify about the shredding I put on a bit of tape, pull back and a lot of foam pieces come out. I'm trying to avoid walking around and looking like I have a bad case of dandruff. : ) I was thinking about covering it with newspaper or this foamie sheets (http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-FUN-FOAM...=foamie+sheets) but if white glue is sufficient then I won't buy this.

Can you also recommend a glue I use for sticking it to the wig permanently? I read about caulk as a good choice, but I'm not so sure. Also wish I could see your Watashi in person, but going to Anime Boston instead of Anime North. >.> I'm a huge fan of the show.

Katsucon
Anime Boston
Anime Expo
Otakon

Currently Working On:
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
YuffieK
RosieGaga

I haven't tried glue on foam myself, but I would suggest trying it. If it works, you can skip the newspaper/craft foam steps. if it doesn't, just glue or wrap some newspaper around your foam spikes, paint them the same color as the wig hair, and then proceed like the tutorial shows.

As far as glues go, I would highly recommend Fabri-tac!! It holds very well, is flexible, and dries clear. Tacky glue is another good one, but since it's white I feel that it doesn't dry as clear as fabri-tac does (fabritac starts off as clear). Although, Tacky glue is cheaper so it really just depends on which you'd rather buy. I've work with caulk before with wigs but to me is was more difficult to work with, and took way longer to dry.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

YuffieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Considering that Got2B Glued Spiking Glue is PVC (white) glue mixed with soap you should be fine. lol

I recommended thinning it out slightly with water though.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
Zubban

Thanks for the help guys. I updated my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/92320905@N03/) just a moment ago to show my progress. These spikes aren't completely set in yet as they are just pinned in and I plan to add more wefts to hide foam, but I have one final question before I begin to permanently glue them. The contour of my head is different from the foam head obviously so are there any other ideas besides putting on the wig and having someone glue them to do this? The placement of the spikes is key and I'd really prefer to be the one who is actively touching them and placing them instead of giving someone instructions.

Katsucon
Anime Boston
Anime Expo
Otakon

Currently Working On:
Crono (Chrono Trigger)