Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
BubblegumGuru

Advice on painting synthetic leather boots, please? (Mami from Madoka Magica)

So, I cosplay as Mami from Madoka Magica (reference picture here: http://www.figure-anime.com/images/s...dsmile-01.jpg), and last year I was lucky enough to find some plain old white cowboy boots at Goodwill to paint as I please.

I used Liquitex Acrylic Heavy Body, mixed with a fluid medium to make the paint less thick. I used many, many, many coats of paint, probably too many. Then I covered them in matte modge podge. Probably used too much of that, too.

I didn't cover the boots in primer beforehand, either.
(can you tell I'm a little inexperienced in this field? >_>)

Anyway, they looked great when I was done with them, but when it was time for the con and I was actually wearing them long-term, the result was...well, they were a chipped mess within a few hours and by the end of the con they looked pretty awful.

So! Seasoned cosplayers, I must humbly ask you: What can I do to these boots to make them chip less? (I've stripped the majority of the paint off.) I know chipping will probably be unavoidable, but I'm hoping to reduce the damage, at least.

I know spraying primer on them beforehand will be helpful, but is there anything else I can do to help beyond that? I'm guessing I should use less coats of paint and modge podge. Should I thin out the paint more, or perhaps leave it heavier? Should I use a different kind of paint entirely? Should I not use modge podge?

I don't really want to go the bootcover route, for those of you who might be thinking of that. I just don't see her style of boot looking good as a cover. :s

I wouldn't mind just up and buying her boots from an ebay seller...but looking on there, I'm not sure who to trust. There's 4 different China sellers using the exact same picture. I don't want to shell out $80 on something that might not fit right/look like the picture/arrive at all. If any of you happen to have advice on buying boots on ebay, by all means give it to me. (or heck, if you know of anyone who makes decent custom boots for less than $100, send them my way!)

Anyway, tl;dr - HOW PAINT BOOTS RIGHT?!?
BubblegumGuru is offline   Reply With Quote