Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
katx
Azu-nyan~

Any alternatives to clear casting a gigantic prop?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any alternatives to resin casting? I'm planning to make a prop that's gigantic (I'd say around 3ft+) and transparent. It has to be hollow inside, like a cup.

Would heating plastic sheets work for this sort of project? The model isn't complex but it requires some curves.

I was considering friendly plastic and paper mache until I saw this thread www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=309195. I thought maybe the delamination would work since it'll peel off, but it doesn't seem like it'll work because friendly plastic doesn't work well in layers, and it won't hold its form.
katx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Nostrum
R4Hscal

It's really hard to give much of a comment, when I don't know the reference, sorry. Can you share an image?
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Even though you didn't provide reference, I'm prety sure you can get away with acrylic steets. You mentioned heating plastic, well heat forming acrylic is just that..Acrylic is a plastic and you can use a heat gun to start a melting prossecc in which you don't get to the melting point, but instead take the heat away and curve it as it cools.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
katx
Azu-nyan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
It's really hard to give much of a comment, when I don't know the reference, sorry. Can you share an image?
Here ya go Imagine his glass being 10x larger

This image has some lines on them, so I might be able to get away with cutting out strips for the bottom part: http://upload.inven.co.kr/upload/201...2184378693.jpg
katx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
engineer

That would not be insanely difficult to do if you had access to a vacuum-forming machine.
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
verdatum
Extremely registered user

If you intend to be able to drink from it, you need to take that into account as well. Only certain materials are considered food-safe. I believe acrylic sheet is one of them.

Professionally, something like this would be blow-molded. It's the technique used to make soda bottles. You'd get a PET blank that looks sorta like a test tube, screw it into a pressure mechanism, heat it up, lower it into a two-part boot mold, and crank up the pressure. The blank expands to the walls of the mold and cools.

This process works better than traditional vacuum forming, as that involves the plastic wrapping around a solid core. Getting that solid core out of the boot after the plastic cools is a pain.