Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
TheJoshuaCon

Marshtomp!

Hey!
I'm Josh. I've set my mind to working on a Marshtomp costume for New York Comic-Con this year - Oct. 10 - 13. It's my first construction and I've given myself plenty of time to work on it in case I run into trouble or errors. Anyway - to begin, I want my Marshtomp to be a fursuit-type of costume. However, I don't know how to begin. I read the Fursuit and Mascot thread in the General Construction area, and looked through the methods and such, but I'm not sure where to begin.
General questions:
1. What method would work best for the construction of Marshtomp's head and fins? The pieces I plan on actually constructing are the head, the two rear-end fin, and the hand-fins and feet-fins.
2. How does a fursuit or mascot costume appear stuffed? Sewn costumes, like most Mudkip costumes, appear saggy and too large, and generally look bad. However, fursuits don't have this problem. They appear to be thick and cartoony, but also full. How do I emulate this?
3. What would be the best material to cover the entirety of the costume with? Fur wouldn't make the most sense, since Marshtomp is reptilian, but I feel that scales wouldn't come out nice and plain paint would look bad. Could anybody contribute some ideas?

Thank you in advance!
TheJoshuaCon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
~H~
Original H

Hi Josh, welcome!

I have only made one fursuit before personally (Tama-neko), so I don't know how to best answer all of your questions. However, I can help with #2!

The solution I found was to sculpt the body parts that you want to be smooth (along with the head) out of foam. I used the same stuff that is used inside couch cushions.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
TheJoshuaCon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~H~ View Post
Hi Josh, welcome!

I have only made one fursuit before personally (Tama-neko), so I don't know how to best answer all of your questions. However, I can help with #2!

The solution I found was to sculpt the body parts that you want to be smooth (along with the head) out of foam. I used the same stuff that is used inside couch cushions.
So you suggest that I stuff the rest of the costume, like the belly and back, with upholstery foam?
TheJoshuaCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
~H~
Original H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoshuaCon View Post
So you suggest that I stuff the rest of the costume, like the belly and back, with upholstery foam?
Not stuff, sculpt. Carve the foam into the shapes you want, then cover it in fabric.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote