Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
MonochromeShine
See wha ha'happen was...

Question HOMRA tattoo

Hey, I'm hoping someone can help out my friend and I.

We're doing a pair cosplay of Yata Misaki and Fushimi Saruhiko, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to make their HOMRA tattoos? (Any advice on how to do Fushimi's burn effect over the tattoo would be deeply appreciated, but one step at a time ^^)

Anyway, the tat looks like this:

The tattoos will rest right below the collarbone, under clothing, if either of those affects any advice you folks might give.

Thanks!
~Shine

EDIT: The link for the reference, since the picture derps sometimes: X

Complete
Delirium
Izaya Orihara
Inga
TYL Xanxus

Last edited by MonochromeShine : 01-22-2013 at 04:48 AM.
MonochromeShine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

picture doesnt work for me
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Noose

I'm assuming this is the one you're talking about.

I don't know if you've ever seen or experienced one of these things, but at some malls and theme parks some folks used to set up airbrush tattoo booths. They had catalogues of stencilled designs that you could choose from and you'd pay up and they'd lay a stencil against your skin and airbrush some sort of body paint using the stencils. I think it may have been alcohol activated, but it has been nearly 8 years since I've even seen these booths. The point is, your design is almost identical to the sorts of stuff they offered, even to the tee with the colour gradient (they simply layered paint colours).

What you need to make an infinitely reusable stencil is buy a thin, stiff sheet of plastic or cardstock paper. You need to be proficient with an x-acto knife, and it can be harrowing work, but you need to draw or trace the tattoo design onto the stencil base and then cut out the parts that the colour is meant to be on. The toughest part will be the lettering. Then it'll be no problem to airbrush or sponge body paint onto you and your buddy, you simply have to secure the reusable stencil using medical or masking tape so it doesn't shift during the application.

I don't know what kind of detail with the burn effect you're looking for, but some folks are pretty talented at using liquid latex to make scar effects, but its often opaque. I've heard of this stuff called rigid collodion, which is good for making scars that are actually sunken into the skin rather than built on top. You can research liquid latex for burns, but it will likely cover your tattoo. I think if you applied this rigid collodion stuff over the painted tattoo it would appear as though the scar still has the tattoo showing through.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
MonochromeShine
See wha ha'happen was...

Huh. I hadn't thought about sponge painting the tattoo on...

I'll look in to rigid collodion for the burn effect. I'm just not certain it will give quite the effect I want. It kind of looks more like he smeared soot all over it than like an actual scar.

link: X

Complete
Delirium
Izaya Orihara
Inga
TYL Xanxus
MonochromeShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Noose

Oh if the scar is more fake looking, like with a colour like that, then you could paint a darker colour beneath where you intend to use the rigid collodion. Since that scar doesn't actually resemble a naturally occurring scar, then you can also try to be more creative in representing it, by building a keloid scar with latex and paper/cotton.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote