Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Kaikuna

Help on how to wear a smallsword - 18th Century

Hullo forum ! I have a question about how to wear a French smallsword ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_sword ) with an 18th century outfit. I'm going for a late 18th century men's outfit (something along the lines of this: http://www.christies.com/lotfinderim.../d5120771l.jpg ) and though I'm not going for complete historical accuracy or whatever, I noticed that the smallsword seemed to be a common accessory for French aristocrats to wear, almost like jewelry.

My question is ... how do you wear one? I've not the slightest idea as to what kind of belt or belts or whatever equipment to use to attach it to the outfit, or if it goes under or over the waistcoat, etc. I tried looking up paintings and prints of the period too but couldn't get any real insight.

Any help at all in solving this would be super appreciated. I don't know where to start, much less where to buy or what to buy. So, thanks in advance for your assistance !
Kaikuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Sgt Sagara
Mech Pilot

This is not an era I am familiar with. But the answer I suspect is that it is off a separate sword belt, ie., not holding your pants up, which would always be worn over your other clothes. So you can get it out when you need it. The exceptions are things like of a cloak. (If you needed a quick defence before you could get your sword simply pull your cloak to the front.) With a small sword the belt doesn't have to be thick, it could be thin. And there would be a sword frog of some description hanging off the belt. So research sword frogs and small swords. Also look at what is available in re-enactment (sword/armour) stores. Some of those will mention their historicalness. Some may just be generic frogs.
Sgt Sagara is offline   Reply With Quote