Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
sabinam

Resincoating craft foam?

Hi cosplayers!
I'm currently working on a cosplay for this summer, Ashei from Zelda Twilight Princess.
I had planned on making all of the armor parts with styrenesheets + craft foam. Some problems have gotten in the way and now I fear that I won't be aböe to get the sheets in time to do a good job.

So my question is, since I have all this craft foam at home, could resin coating it be a good alternative to make the pieces durable? Does anyone have experience with that method?
Should I use spray resin or ordinary resin? What kind of resin should I use?

I know many that say I should use thin fabric and lots of glue but I really want the armor to be more durable than that.

here's where I got the idea, they're using it on styrofoam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWkch-QEGkI
sabinam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Miloron

Sounds like a good idea, you could allways try on a small piece to test the durability. I quess you could allways buy som fiberglass or carbonfiber and epoxy and apply to the armor as base, before adding the details and raisin, though I have no experience at all about this and I'm just speculating. xD

Finished:
Ichigo Bankai and Hollowfication
Miloron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
sabinam

It's not a surprise that you've never tried it. The only thing I found on the internet was some guy experimenting with it. The only thing he really said that was useful is that it doesn't eat away on the foam. I think I'll try it out sometime, maybe on another costume though. A friend of mine who's quite experienced in cosplay thinks it'll be brittle and break if the foam bends. An alternative that I've thought about is PlastiDip. Primer AND it makes the foam a bit more sturdy
I'll of course post some photos here on cosplay.com of the finished costume, but that won't be until summer!
Thanks for your reply
Unread 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Most resins have enough flex that they will not crack when bent. Coating craft foam in resin improves tear strength and helps to seal the surface off so it can be painted. Polyester resin, particularly when mixed with too much catalyst, can be a little brittle. But provided you aren't too hard on your armor, this shouldn't be any problem.

One issue is that the result isn't really all that much more effective than just using a couple coats of white glue (PVA glue) + a touch of water. Doing this is much easier since it can be done inside without any special safety equipment; cheaper too.

I've read that it is difficult to get an even coat when applying plasti-dip via brush, but I still haven't gotten around to playing with the stuff myself.
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
sabinam

Yeah, I also read that about PlastiDip, so I ordered the spray version which seems to deal with that problem

I think I'll test the school glue-version as well, just to compare the two. What surface is easiest to do the paintjob on etc. Thanks for the help!
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Altrus
I love dogs!

If you need sturdiness, drop a couple extra bucks and purchase fiberglass cloth. Once you've put on an initial layer of resin to the inside and out, apply the fiberglass to the inside and resin it . If you do this right, your armor will survive mosh pits. I wouldn't recommend diving into them, but you'd be amazed how much of that is out of courtesy to others rather than to spare your armor.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
sabinam

If I had the money I'd definetly use something like that, or Worbla/wonderflex, but I'm a college student and mom so my economy is kinda tight:/
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

This past weekend I went to a panel and she said that PlastiDip works amazingly on craft foam. You just need to make sure to be close to whatever your spraying to get a smooth surface, and wear a mask!

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
sabinam

Sounds awesome! It's my first costume so it would be nice if I have something easy to work with. I have some background in art and the likes but I've never really built something that's supposed to be worn and be durable.
Thanks for the tips everyone!