Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Curucar

Swapping stuffed animal eyes

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b638ff447...pi1o4_1280.jpg
So I went and bought the official How to Train Your Dragon Toothless plush and the eyes are SO wrong (he also has both tail fins, but that's an easy fix). I've found plenty of correct eyes on etsy, but I'm at a loss when it comes to safely removing them.

Unread 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Ho my goodness so funny...sorry those eyes are completely wrong...you might be able to build around them, but safely removing stuffed animal eyes is a science, because they are usually screwed into a bolt behind the fabric...you would actually need to take the animal apart in some way, the neck seam or the back seam, unstuff the head, turn it inside out, and then unscrew and remove the eyes
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Curucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
Ho my goodness so funny...sorry those eyes are completely wrong...you might be able to build around them, but safely removing stuffed animal eyes is a science, because they are usually screwed into a bolt behind the fabric...you would actually need to take the animal apart in some way, the neck seam or the back seam, unstuff the head, turn it inside out, and then unscrew and remove the eyes
That's basically what it feels like. I'm considering just using irridescent paint over a base coat at this point (then the question becomes what kind of irredescent paint won't scratch off super easily...)
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

why not try to build an eyelid with sculpy or with pleather like many eyelids/eyelashes on stuffed animals are made....oh my goodness I never knew how geeky for stuffed animals I was until now... @_@ <fail Ichigo
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
AGarmentOfWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curucar View Post
That's basically what it feels like. I'm considering just using irridescent paint over a base coat at this point (then the question becomes what kind of irredescent paint won't scratch off super easily...)
Nail polish would probably work. I've used nail polish to turn plastic buttons and plastic earrings silver, and the surface has held up well (no flaking during normal wear or while being transported and stored with objects that might scratch it).
- blue and white hanfu (most of Shusui's blue and white outfit (.Story of Saiunkoku)
AGarmentOfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Curucar

Oh my! I love the eyelid idea! And perhaps I'll cover them with the fabric from his missing tailfin.

And I always forget how awesome nailpolish is. I'll be using that for his eyeballs!