Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Rylee

Midna's Fused Shadow

Does anyone know of any Light Weight ideas for Midna's Fused Shadow? http://wantmidnaback.com/images/gall...y%20Midna.html I've thought about moldable plastic but its a bit expensive, so not fully sure. Clays to frigial, and styrophoam is alittle hard to carve out of. ^.^ Thank you so much for any ideas.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Oh my goodness, I know that feeling of that darn fused shadow ORT.

I cosplayed Midna back in 2010. For the fused shadow I drafted out a pattern and cut the shapes using that foam.. paper stuff?
Ah, Foam Sheets. I bought mine at Michaels and it came in a roll like THIS except it was white.
One of your pieces should be the bowl that you will place around your head. It must be TIGHT but not too tight so you dont hurt your head and ears.
The other piece will be the front piece with the snakes on it.
You may need to cut extra pieces to add to certain areas for more thickness.

For the snakes and the eyes I hand crafted them out of white Model Magic clay and hot glued them on to the foam sheet parts. The cracks and designs I drew on with Scribbles Fabric Paint that I also bought at Michaels.

Of the over-all 'stone' color, I used two different spray paints. A Grainy Grey (that is supposed to resemble rock) and a brown-green color.

Here is what my headpiece looked like~

Yikes. There are definitely some things I'd change about my Midna cosplay if I were to redo it, but I've since retired this costume

I recommend using thicker foam sheets then I did, to make it look more 3D and 'real'. Just make sure you're able to bend it well.

Good luck! Please message me if you have any more questions and I'd love to see the finished product you come up with. I hope my tips helped~

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Alright I've been working with a bunch of 3d light weight mold able things lately. So what I would do is use a mix of craft foam and wonderflex (or just craft foam) the use expanding foam (the stuff they use on pies to seal holes.) to make the object really large then you can easily carve that then cover it with wonderflex or another melt able plastic to give it stability.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Rylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Alright I've been working with a bunch of 3d light weight mold able things lately. So what I would do is use a mix of craft foam and wonderflex (or just craft foam) the use expanding foam (the stuff they use on pies to seal holes.) to make the object really large then you can easily carve that then cover it with wonderflex or another melt able plastic to give it stability.
Oh awesome!! I'll have to try that out!
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote