Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
LadyAlyssHearts
Curiouser and Curiouser

Mock Corset Help

So, I'm trying to see if its possible to make a mock underbust corset.

I need a short term corset for a single costume for just one day at an upcoming convention. Usually, if I had the money I just purchase one somewhere, but for my size its not so cheap to purchase what I need. I have so excess fabric of a sturdy material I plan on using, so I'm wondering if its at all possible to create a realistic looking underbust corset without boning and extensive drafting.

Since I don't need anything super fancy, because its just for a generic steampunk outfit that would look that much better with a corset. Also, how would I go about doing this since honestly most generic/normal sized patterns just don't fit my body type. I make a lot of patterns for myself, but its usually for simply things like skirts and tops.

Any help is appreciated ^^
LadyAlyssHearts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Penlowe

The problem with not putting boning in a corset, under bust corset or any fitted garment that hugs a human torso, is that it is our softest and most flexible body part. Regardless of pattern or style, a lack of boning means wrinkled, ridding up or down, poor looking garments.

Yes, you can cheat on the construction, and an under bust is significantly easier than a full corset.
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

The simplest way to make one would be to tape your waist up, draw your seamlines in and cut yourself out of it. It won't do anything in the way of sucking you in like a real corset, but it'll be the perfect fit to your body.

Penlowe's already said it, but you really can't do it without boning. However you don't need to get steel boning. You can buy polyester boning quite cheaply, or if you want to go really cheap you can cut plastic boning for yourself. It's needed, to keep the fabric from drooping and wrinkling.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Penlowe

I have heard tell of folks using plastic bottles as stays. no, not the whole bottle, but cutting wide shapes that fill whole corset sections from larger sized water/ antifreeze/ laundry detergent bottles.