Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Would I have to knit something like this?

I'm looking for something that can be used for his collar (on the left)

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...44332864ce.jpg

I've looked at rib knits and corduroy at Joann Fabrics, but their spacings aren't nearly as wide enough as in the picture. Do you think his collar is something I would have to knit like a sweater? I really don't have experience with knitting, so any help is appreciated.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

I can't tell from the picture, but I'd exprect you'd have to knit a sweater vest. if not you might be able to figure out a gauge ( how many stiches per a certain width ) you could figure out what yarn. If you cannot at all knit this might be a bit difficult cause it will be smaller needles with fine yarn, but there are alternatives. If you can find a similar yarn in bulky weight in the exact shade you could 'cheat' a little and crochet it, which I find much easier. If you decide to do that than this will look similar and I can help you customize it if necessary.

Quote:
Ribbing
Ch 5.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across - 4 sc at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, working in back loops only, sc in each sc across.

From this Pattern Frosty Mittens
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Penlowe

While knitting is awesome and always a worthwhile skill to have, no, you don't have to knit to get that appearance.

I'd use a soft fuzzy material, maybe a flannel, maybe a fleece, and quilt it if I wanted to do a non-knit version of that collar.
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, I'm with Penlowe. Without being able to see the rest of the outfit to know for sure, it doesn't seem to me like it's a sweater. Even with a ribbed collar, it's not necessarily always a knit - some artists just draw ribbing lines on collars and cuffs because that's what they're used to or they think it looks cool, but it's not meant to be a knit garment or a knit fabric.

If you can find a knit fabric (jersey or otherwise) in that color, it may be as easy as stitching some lines in it to give the appearance. But even if not, a regular cotton fabric can be quilted - you'll interface the inside of the collar, naturally, and then stitch lines on top of it when it's finished. It doesn't even look very thick so I don't know if you'd even want to add a layer of batting inside - I would, if it was a thick rolled collar that looked knitted, but for something that flat, it's not necessary.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Mm, I was going to say just what Penlowe said.
Is his jacket meant to be knit? Because it's to create a standing collar with the same fabric as the rest of the jacket, by a layer of thin batting quilted between layers of the fabric.

Edit: Bler. I don't write the good London today.
*It's just as easy to create..
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Thanks for the replies everyone

He doesn't have a lot of official artwork with that outfit, but this is probably the best full body pic of him.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...torDesign5.png

Based on some other info, he does NOT wear a sweater underneath, only a t shirt. It seems that the collar is the ONLY thing on his jacket that has the knitted look.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

After looking at the other pic I don't think my method would look good, so the quilted one would probably work well
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

I agree with the others. The jacket itself does not look like a knit jacket. If you are making the whole thing from scratch, it may be possible to knit and attach the collar separately. But I think CapsuleCorp's idea of stitching the lines into fabric will probably give you the best look for the least amount of headache. One of my sweatshirts has a very similar looking collar and it's not knitted. Then again the fabric is not very slippery so the stitches get "eaten" by it, leaving these valleys that resemble ribbing.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote