Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Cosplay_Candy
Cosplay Candy

I need help painting on a certain material

Hi I'm brand new to cosplay and I need desperate help on one of my projects. I'm looking to make a Cortana suit from Halo 4 and to make all the detail on a latex suit would cost waaaaay too much for a broke college student. I was thinking spandex/lycra would work as a base suit. The question I'm asking is could I use fabric paint to add on my detail line work? I didn't know which kind is best for that material since spandex stretches I don't want the paint to be too firm and crack with movement. If there's something else I could use instead let me know.

Please help me

Thanks ^_^
Cosplay_Candy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

The issue is that if you paint the suit as its lying on the floor or table, and then put the suit on, the stretch of the suit will distort your work. If the paint bleeds through, too, it can cause a real mess.

The best way to tackle this approach is to get a friend whose artwork you trust, OR a friend who has very similar size/weight/dimensions as you. You (or similar friend) put the suit on, and then your artist friend (or you) handpaint the designs while the suit is stretched to its wearing dimensions. Whoever is wearing the suit will need to hold still, and not move around, sit, or brush up against anything until the paint dries, so you may need to do this in stages, based on how detailed the design is. This method should prevent the paint from cracking when you put it on again later.

Some fabric paints have a tendancy to stick to themselves or other surfaces even when dry. Just be aware of this, and test out your paint first.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

If you have the budget I recommend using Jacquard Textile Color as your fabric paint with the Airfix agent mixed in as you go so you don't have to set your paint with an iron afterwards.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/textile-color.html
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/airfix.html

Also another option is to get some friend make a duct tape dummy of yourself to slip the body suit over while painting.
http://latinvixen.phpwebhosting.com/dtd.htm

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Cosplay_Candy
Cosplay Candy

Yay

Yeah Im sure my budget for the Jacquard paint would be better than latex and I would have had a problem finding someone the same size as me but the whole duck tape dummy idea, that is so awesome. I can have the right fit and paint my work myself. This is so cool, I never heard of a DTD before.

Thank you so much you guys! You have no idea how helpful you two have been ^_^
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

I've painted a spandex suit before, my recommendations is to not use any old fabric paint. This was two years ago, but now that I have more knowledge about costuming this is what I would do different;

When I painted my suit I thought any fabric paint would work as long as I was wearing the suit while I painted. I forget what paint I used but i know that I sqeezed it out from a bottle and used a paintbrush to slap it on.
:| don't do that.

I find that Airbrush fabric paint works a lot better, and it doesn't harden as much so you still have flexibility to the suit. I'd get a friend to help you paint yourself, or you could make a DTD (which is a lot of work albeit)

Good luck!

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

You could also try Createx or this http://www.tcpglobal.com/createx/

I know it's used in the mermaid community to create tails and variations of colors on everything from Neoprene/ lycra, to latex, to even car grade stuff it says, but it's water safe and such.
Hope this helps
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Cosplay_Candy
Cosplay Candy

So I'm gona try both paints on some test fabric and see how they turn out. Ill let you all know what happens with each.
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Cosplay_Candy
Cosplay Candy

I contacted Createx to see if I can paint it on instead of airbrush and they said it would probably come out bad. I dont think I could airbrush it im not very artistic so i figured painting would be easier than the flow of airbrush. How hard is it to airbrush something? This is the suit im doing and I want to get every detail even the white circuit lines.http://timenerdworld.files.wordpress...0&h=480&crop=1