Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator
 
SweeneyTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,934
Had some cosplay (or rather impersonator) drama happen a while ago. Some of the CJS impersonators I guess get a bit protective of their "territory" as impersonators. One of them found out that I was trying to do this professionally and I guess took issue with it... so instead of just coming to me with the problems and messaging me via PM, he decided to post in one of the groups that I partake in. He complained and spoke in generalities but described a very specific instance/situation that matched mine to a T. I just found it to be a bit immature of him because he is an adult and should know better, but I guess not.
__________________
I shall be impersonated as *Captain* Jack Sparrow and nothing less!

Why is the rum gone?


Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #32
Hiroto Sumi
Hiroto Sumi
 
Hiroto Sumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twittles123 View Post
I am talking like "She did the same costume I did--and did it better." Things like that.
That happened to me at Otakon a few years ago. I was Suigintou from Rozen Maiden for the first time, and no one seemed to really notice me. Then I saw someone else dressed as Suigintou, same character and all, with the sword prop, and she was getting a lot of attention. I'm rather small and I didn't have the sword because it costs a lot. I'm wondering what the issue was, but it makes me feel like maybe costumes are more successful with props or weapons. Is that true?

As for cosplay drama, I think the only issue that I've had is hanging out with a very large group, and wasting time trying to figure out what to do, or friends going through their own personal drama and affecting everyone else.
Hiroto Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #33
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown
 
FuntomKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroto Sumi View Post
That happened to me at Otakon a few years ago. I was Suigintou from Rozen Maiden for the first time, and no one seemed to really notice me. Then I saw someone else dressed as Suigintou, same character and all, with the sword prop, and she was getting a lot of attention. I'm rather small and I didn't have the sword because it costs a lot. I'm wondering what the issue was, but it makes me feel like maybe costumes are more successful with props or weapons. Is that true?
As unfair as it is, it seems cosplayers that have some kind of prop are usually more noticed and given more attention. I still wouldn't stress out about having an awesome prop, though..I decided not to get a prop for the next costume simply because I don't want to carry it around xD But I'm not expecting anyone to want pictures either, so..
I've also noticed a lot of people can tell if it's your first con, because you can give off a certain aura (uncertainty, nervousness, disgust in some cases). Maybe they thought you were shy and didn't want to bother you or scare you? I know one person told me I looked really angry and nervous while I was Ciel and that's why they didn't ask me for a picture..I've long since grown out of that, like most cosplayers do. It could've been anything.
But yes..props usually get you noticed more..but that isn't a definite. This is why I try to always have a little something on me, but don't stress about it if I don't.
And I agree...drama just always comes with groups, which is why I try to only group up with one or two other people for specific costumes instead of big groups for anything. It's just easier >.<;
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Miri View Post
Come to the dark side. We have freaking gorgeous character designs.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
Hiroto Sumi
Hiroto Sumi
 
Hiroto Sumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
I've also noticed a lot of people can tell if it's your first con, because you can give off a certain aura (uncertainty, nervousness, disgust in some cases). Maybe they thought you were shy and didn't want to bother you or scare you?
I've never thought of that before! I am shy, so maybe I did have that impression. But I've had other costumes where people asked for my photo and I had a prop, so maybe it just depends on various things or appearances.
Hiroto Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
SA2R
King of the Skies
 
SA2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
There's going to be drama anywhere, especially in a huge hobby like cosplay that is highly focused on the people themselves.

I try to avoid it like the plague and not get involved, personally.
^This^
I have been cosplaying for 7 years, and the cosplay cosplay drama I have ever had~ was being accused of removing a glue gun from the outlet XD
I can smell con drama from a mile away, and when it gets close~ I'm out 8D!
__________________
Upcoming cosplays:

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors


( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #36
kittymutt
Belgium Waffles
 
kittymutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
There is a ton of cosplay drama here... but I think its more of because we're all stuck on a small island with each other, so most people kinda know each other or knows someone who knows such and such.

A lot of people are a bit cosplay selfish and have the mentality that they MUST be the only one of whatever character. I don't care but I keep an eye out because it happens far to offen and causes problems for me. (It's happened with Russia, Alice, Gokudera, Slade, and Hijikata....)
I had a recent experience with the bolded part. Someone in my cosplay group thinks that she can be the only Prussia, and her two friends can only be the Italy brothers and pretty much everyone else sucks, or something stupid. One of them also whined when someone else was going to be Italy at a meetup and she thought that she could be the only one there.

I think Cosplay drama has a lot to do with maturity. Younger cosplayers (13-15 years old) in general tend to be more immature about these things and make a bigger deal about things than older cosplayers, I've found. When I'm around older cosplayers, it's like drama hardly exsists compared to being around a lot of younger ones.

My cosplay group has a variety of ages and I've noticed that th sillier drama tends to exist between the younger ones. I however emphasize maturity more than age, because I know young cosplayers that are mature and ones my age and older (20+ years old) who are as immature.

In the end, I think it's how you choose to deal with the drama. Are you going to make a bigger deal about something then necessary? If someone says something nasty about you or tries to bring you down, are you going to be mature about it or be as nasty back? I think a lot of drama has to do with the person's attitude. If you have a bad attitude and be as immature back, it's only going to make the drama a bigger deal than it is.
kittymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #37
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown
 
FuntomKitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymutt View Post
I had a recent experience with the bolded part. Someone in my cosplay group thinks that she can be the only Prussia, and her two friends can only be the Italy brothers and pretty much everyone else sucks, or something stupid. One of them also whined when someone else was going to be Italy at a meetup and she thought that she could be the only one there.

I think Cosplay drama has a lot to do with maturity. Younger cosplayers (13-15 years old) in general tend to be more immature about these things and make a bigger deal about things than older cosplayers, I've found. When I'm around older cosplayers, it's like drama hardly exsists compared to being around a lot of younger ones.

My cosplay group has a variety of ages and I've noticed that the sillier drama tends to exist between the younger ones. I however emphasize maturity more than age, because I know young cosplayers that are mature and ones my age and older (20+ years old) who are as immature.

In the end, I think it's how you choose to deal with the drama. Are you going to make a bigger deal about something then necessary? If someone says something nasty about you or tries to bring you down, are you going to be mature about it or be as nasty back? I think a lot of drama has to do with the person's attitude. If you have a bad attitude and be as immature back, it's only going to make the drama a bigger deal than it is.
I think this post just won the thread..you said it perfectly. Thank you so much though for pointing out maturity does not equal older age as well. I'm always the youngest cosplayer in the crowd and everyone is surprised with how mature I am when I tell them. I've also seen the worst drama in the 15-17 crowd..but that's probably circumstantial, since I tend to mostly hang around people of that age.
I have noticed that I usually am part of the drama online, but I'm learning from my mistakes and teaching myself how to just ignore things, keep quiet, and have fun. It's more difficult than expected, but worth it to be so comfortable with everyone at conventions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroto Sumi View Post
I've never thought of that before! I am shy, so maybe I did have that impression. But I've had other costumes where people asked for my photo and I had a prop, so maybe it just depends on various things or appearances.
Probably I have noticed the most attention I got was when I had a prop as well; I think people just like props a lot. xD But yes, it could also be their impression of you. I'm usually able to pick out who's at their first or second con by the way they look at everything, talk to everyone, etc...a lot of people mistake it for being really nervous and just don't know how to act (especially if they're shy), so I try to cheer them up by asking for their picture or talking with them for a while if I see it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Miri View Post
Come to the dark side. We have freaking gorgeous character designs.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
g00dapple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroto Sumi View Post
As for cosplay drama, I think the only issue that I've had is hanging out with a very large group, and wasting time trying to figure out what to do, or friends going through their own personal drama and affecting everyone else.
^This is the only drama I usually experience. You are typically with these people for 3-5 days straight, with no breaks. The tension can get high. One girl that I traveled with last year would just * disappear* for hours on end. I would feel bad because I wanted to include her in places we were going but she would just walk away.
__________________
Online Cosplay Community: www.elitecosplay.com


2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
Poody
All Rise!
 
Poody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 317
Cosplay is full of drama! Lets be honest, it's mostly the women! (Though, not always!) I'm so tired of "so-and-so" people thinking that they ARE their character and that no one else can touch it. It doesn't matter what photoshoot you did, what music video you made, what celebrity you took a pic with.... You're just a person wearing a costume.

And lets not even mention the haters..... I'm working with some friends on a new youtube show that sort of pokes fun at all the trash talking people do about cosplayers. Should be interesting.
__________________
______

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
danielvutran
prinny dood!
 
danielvutran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dapple View Post
^This is the only drama I usually experience. You are typically with these people for 3-5 days straight, with no breaks. The tension can get high. One girl that I traveled with last year would just * disappear* for hours on end. I would feel bad because I wanted to include her in places we were going but she would just walk away.
ahaha hey maybe she just likes solo'ing every so often ^^ I'm exactly the same lol
__________________
pls
danielvutran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Loveless12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 75
Wandering off solo at cons makes for some wonderful adventures.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #42
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link
 
JediofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,236
For someone who is just beginning the craft and going to their first convention it is hard not to feel envious of the more elaborate costumes (especially if it is your character) that others wear.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
Ilafatyu
That guy
 
Ilafatyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,223
I'm having a conflict about one of my cosplays (not mine, the character) becoming wicked popular over the past few months. It wasn't all that known when I started out, but now it seems that everyone and their goldfish is cosplaying from the series. It's cool that there are more, and there's going to be a much better opportunity for groups, but it's lost some of that specialness it used to have.

Not drama, but damn if it's the closest thing I've had to it. (Which is a surprise, considering how much of an asshole I can be.)
__________________

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #44
riddeltk
The Reaper Review
 
riddeltk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 161
I think a lot of group drama stems from people not pulling their weight. For example, last year my husband and I invited his sister to cosplay with us. Things started out okay but it became obvious fairly early that she didn't intend to do much of the work. Had it been a simple costume it wouldn't have really been any thing more than an annoyance but it was full upper body armor made from fiberglass. We ended up making every thing for her and when she wasn't completely happy with it she bailed. We went to the convention with out her and had fun but she was pissed off. She blamed us for not finishing her costume (and yeah...we pretty much blamed her back) which caused some family drama. It was a miserable experience that I think could have been avoided if she had at least but forth some effort (rant...sorry). I can only imagine it being worse in a big group.
__________________
In like a bolt from the blue, it's time for the reaper review.


DragonCon
Claves - Eternal Sonata
Aerith - Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
Rhyme - The World Ends With You
Megara - Disney's Hercules
riddeltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #45
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair
 
epicserendipity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 552
Not really any cosplay drama here from anyone else. I suppose the only thing would be that I see my work as less than awesome when I show up at a con wearing something I spent days--nay--weeks on, then run into someone who has the same thing with cleaner lines, a better body, ect. I'm a little jealous of people who have sewing machines and actual seamstress skills. I just stitch and bitch. *L* All the personal drama is kept internal at cons, of course.

Honestly, I love other peoples' work, and am not afraid to say, "OMG, I love what you did!" Because I know how good that feels when someone says it to me.
__________________
"Here's another curse: May all your bacon burn."

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.