Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Fed-up With Cosplay?

For most of 2012 I dropped out of the cosplay scene, mainly because I was just got fed up with it. I was just tired of not being done with anything on time or everything turning out not the way I wanted it to, and hearing about elitist cosplay people who think they're too good for everyone.

I'm bouncing back this year though, this time better preparing myself and working harder for my cosplays and a new attitude to boot.

Anyone else here just got fed up with cosplay for a while and rage quit like I did?

Unread 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Yeah, I stopped cosplaying for about a year once before picking it up again. I actually thought I might be feeling that way again recently but after thinking it over I think I just needed some variety instead of cosplaying the same series over and over.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Can't say I have personally but I guess everyone needs a break every now and then.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
Yeah, I stopped cosplaying for about a year once before picking it up again. I actually thought I might be feeling that way again recently but after thinking it over I think I just needed some variety instead of cosplaying the same series over and over.
I feel you, I was mainly cosplaying from Bleach or Naruto for a while, but over time my interests has changed, and now I want to branch out cosplaying from different works.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

That's basically how I feel right now. My Sailor Moon wig fell apart on me whenever I tried to do anything. Unless a miracle happens, I'm done until 2013 and I have $200 for a good wig.

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 80%- Sleeves are attached!
Disney - Tinkerbell - Future - Planned
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujyoshi View Post
Can't say I have personally but I guess everyone needs a break every now and then.
Yeah, I needed that long break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Marie C View Post
That's basically how I feel right now. My Sailor Moon wig fell apart on me whenever I tried to do anything. Unless a miracle happens, I'm done until 2013 and I have $200 for a good wig.
That really sucks, but there's still a whole year ahead. Give it some more time, and by mid 2013 or so nothing goes your way, then quit, haha.
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Nope, I keep wanting to make things and do things. It's my one thing I get that I don't need to answer to anyone. I mean I get irritated it costs money but eh, could be worse
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Everyone needs a break every now and then. Money, time, health, sanity... I took a two-year break from cosplaying not too long ago, and now I feel like I'm a better person for it. I had to focus on things that mattered, not just costumes and funtimes, but things like school and health and drifting friendships.

I wouldn't say I was fed up with cosplay or cosplayers, but I think yours falls clearly under the 'sanity' reason.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Yep, I have. Took a two-year break to sort out my life. Which it has, kind of.
However, I did do my first official cosplay in 2 1/2 years this past January; part found item, part self-made. I enjoyed it, despite being slightly uncomfortable to wear.

Still wracking my brain for ideas for 2013. I have about a half dozen so far.

People should feel free to take a hiatus from something. Some times you come back more enthusiastic than before!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
usuyukisou

When a hobby stops being fun, that is the time to take a break. I think it's natural to burn-out every once in awhile, even for something that you once loved to pieces. A bit of time apart can either reignite that spark or make you realise that you want to move on.

Although I'm not burned-out from cosplay, I am burning-out from real life demands, so I am putting most of my cosplaying on hold. Real life takes priority and that's all there is to it.
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
SA2R
King of the Skies

A couple months ago~ my sister didn't have a job, and I was paying for EVERYTHING. Durig that time~ I realized just how truly cosplay is, and how much I have been spending on it over the years. I am not about to rage quite, but after this next event in March~ I am thinking of stopping, or at least slowing it down with cosplay. I know it's a hobby~ but spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on costumes that I personally will only wear 2 times (three if I am lucky) a year??~ I am starting to think I am truly a crazy!

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

Last edited by SA2R : 01-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Yeah, money was an issue for me too It got frustrating spending money on stuff that ended up not working or not turning out the right way.

Haha and I guess my sanity was getting the best of me XD. I only took a 6 month break, but it was enough for me to catch my breath a bit and re-adjust my mentality, not to mention focus on the more important things in my life.

Now I've learned from my mistakes and can't wait to get started on new stuff for this year.
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

I took a break from cosplay once I got a job. I am currently job searching again, as I am no longer working, but intend to use my free time to finish cosplays this year.

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
jindrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2R View Post
A couple months ago~ my sister didn't have a job, and I was paying for EVERYTHING. Durig that time~ I realized just how truly cosplay is, and how much I have been spending on it over the years. I am not about to rage quite, but after this next event in March~ I am thinking of stopping, or at least slowing it down with cosplay. I know it's a hobby~ but spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on costumes that I personally will only wear 2 times (three if I am lucky) a year??~ I am starting to think I am truly a crazy!
Kind of depends on how you look at it. Spending a few hundred bucks and possibly tens or hundreds of hours on a costume to wear one or twice seems a bit crazy. My view on it is more about the sort of journey that leads up to a completed project. Getting to wear it to a convention is great but the satisfaction of all of the research/design/crafting that goes into it is more of factor for me. If I wasn't cosplaying I'd probably be spending it another hobby.

As far as destructive criticism/haters go... http://i.imgur.com/l6Ajkfj.jpg
I just try to figure out if their criticism has any merit or is just their opinion based on emotions and memories from whatever game or series.
jindrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My sister has given up on cosplay..but it isn't so much fed up as other things were more important than cosplay. If i create the cosplays for her to wear she will come to cons with me though.