Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I've never wanted to quit cosplaying in general, but I have given up on some costumes in the past. It can be overwhelming when nothing works out right for sure. And I know some people go through it like a phase and then it's over, but I can't say I've ever wanted to just give it up. But a break from time to time is perfectly good and healthy for sure.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I have these moments. Sometimes they last for months at a time, sometimes a couple of days, sometimes just until there's a costume or character that motivates me to get to work on it. Up until I started watching Inu x Boku, I was in a big rut of "should I still cosplay/who should I cosplay if I do"..since a lot of drama with friends discouraged me from cosplaying from the series I usually do. However, I did grow out of it. While cosplay still frustrates me and I still have to use art as an escape from cosplaying when I get annoyed from it, it always seems to work out in the end.
It also helps that if it's a group of people discouraging you, go and find something those people won't care about or won't try to cosplay that you like. One of my problems was being into Kuro and getting really jealous over one of my friends since we (in my head, we never actually have, nor have we really got any reason to) both cosplayed Ciel at the time and tended to have subtle little fights over it. I stepped back, took about a year's break from him, and found other series to cosplay instead for the time being. Now I've gotten over the teenage girl jealousy (for the most part, and for what I haven't, I've learned how to ignore it) and feel comfortable cosplaying him and anything I want again..which is always a good thing.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
despite being slightly uncomfortable to wear.
Isn't that a requirement? we all know the more uncomfortable the outfit the better it looks!

Personally, though, no, I take all my cosplays slow and if I dont get one done in time, I just save it for the next con. I was planning to finish my current (Rainbow Dash) cosplay for Dragon*Con but bills decided otehrwise, so I'm just waiting till I have the $$$ and will finish it for a later con. For me this works, dont set a "OMBG! I MUST HAVE IT DONE BY _THIS_ _CON_ RAWR!!!!" and it helps a lot.

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Sometimes I need to take breaks from cosplay, since it can get stressful and expensive for me.

There have been many instances where I have to give up on a costume, due to so many complications and.. Just overall asdfghjkl!

I always end up coming back, though, and I know it's all worth it in the end when I get to go to cons and have fun~

I do get frustrated however when I'm at a convention dressed as Stocking and an Angel Stocking runs up to me, and says to her Panty "oh no, I have competition!" and hits me on the head with her sword OTL.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
sam vimes
A real live wire

2012 was an off year because I had a newborn son and was battling cancer, so there's that.

But usually I slack off from cons due to laziness more than rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Nope! I took a break from competition but not from costumes.

The key is to not listen to the internet, and set reasonable goals for yourself. If you find that setting deadlines for yourself that you just can't meet (aka "I must have this many new costumes done by that convention!") is what gives you the most stress, then just be reasonable about it. Instead of aiming for certain cons as deadlines, just work on the costume at your own pace and debut it when it's finished. Even if that's three cons later. Hell, I still haven't debuted Zoro yet despite the costume being finished for over a year and the swords being finished for about six months - still getting the wig ready. When it's done, it's done, and THEN it'll be debuted.

I can't emphasize enough not to listen to the internet. Anyone who tells you that you're only a good cosplayer - or only a cosplayer, period - if you do things a certain way is, quite frankly, wrong. The only thing that makes a person a cosplayer is the fact that they're wearing a costume. Everything else is personal preferences. If other people's opinions on costumes, yours or others', stresses you out, stop visiting places where people are negatively critiquing photos of people they don't know for no reason other than to be a troll. Cut out the negative influences from your life and you won't be so stressed about what you're cosplaying, when you wear it, or when you have it finished to your liking.

Taking two years to finish a costume isn't taking a break, it's being reasonable about time and budget and realizing that the world isn't going to end if you don't have it ready to debut by a certain con. You're still interested in costumes and interested in making them, that means you're still into cosplaying. The rest is just logistics.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
Spazmodroid
AKA, the awesom-o 4000

Nah, if anything, I get fed up with how badly I procrastinate all the time!!!
Hello, geeks. Look at your profile, now back to mine, now back at your profile, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, your cosplays aren't mine, but if you stopped wearing cat ears and fishnets and made your own suits of armor, yours could look like mine. Where does this LINK go? Back at me. I see it, itís my facebook page filled with pics of me creating that thing you love. Look again, THE PICS ARE NOW VIRAL. Anything is possible when your costume looks like Spazmodroid's and not this.

I'm over 9000
Spazmodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Padmik
mikky

Oh gosh, yes. Took a two year break due to money and a lot of the fandoms I was in at the time were stirring up trouble at cons so I pulled out of a lot of cosplays. I ended up finding new interests anyway.

I do take breaks though so I don't burn out. Due to how the cons are set up in Georgia, I can work on my cosplays during summer and winter break which is nice.

But I procrastinate so conflicts usually arise during the school year lmao.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2014 Conventions
Shatterdome ATL, AWA
2014 Cosplays
Allison Argent (3x23) - Teen Wolf 100%
Mako Mori - Pacific Rim 100%
Honekoneko (kigu) - PaSwG 90%
Levi (WoC) - SnK/AoT 75%
Fran - KHR! 85%
Rilakkuma (kigu) 80%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

I have gotten fed up plenty of times..considering stopping a few of those times.
But I have a new determination about me... I want to challenge myself!
I might get irritated but it shall hopefully be worth it in the end.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

I 'rage quit' probably once a year XD

Though it usually happens because I push myself too much, and burn myself out on the actual making of costumes, and one day just wake up and be like 'AMG I NEVER WANT TO TOUCH A SEWING MACHINE AGAIN', rage quit, then a few months later decide I can't live without cosplaying, and hop right back into it XD

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

I've never felt that. Stressed, yes, angry, tearful, yeah... But I've never once considered quitting. It's kind of a foreign concept to me, because cosplay is something I am so passionate about I can't understand the notion of wanting to quit it. Heck, if it was possible, I'd love to make a career out of cosplay because cosplaying is something that I am truly passionate about and love doing. Alas, I'm no Yaya Han, so I doubt I could make a career out of it.

Deadlines aren't so much of an issue. Yeah, I get irked if I can't make them, but sometimes it can't be helped. I doubt my Lady Loki will be done anytime soon just because costs for her are pretty crazy. I just have to work on her little by little when I can afford the things that will make her a great cosplay, even if that means spreading her out over a few years.

As for the elitists and anything they might say, I am very lucky to have very understanding, supportive, and loving parents that taught me to do what makes me happy, regardless of what anyone else thinks. They taught me that people can be downright nasty, and in those cases not to listen to such negativity.

Money is always an issue of course, but that just means I need to spend smartly. Money management, regardless of whatever hobby you're into, is always an important skill to develop. Especially if the unexpected happens!
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 15%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 01-25-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

Love everyone's response in here, glad to hear that I'm not alone.

But wow, my 6 month break seems relatively short compared to the one year - two year break I'm reading about in here.

I guess one of my issues is procrastination as well, which leads into last minute work, then stress, then uuggghhalsdaslknoasd, then rage quitting, haha. Now I'm starting my cosplay months in advance, and work day by day on 'em.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I know that whole issue with procrastination. But I've learned to be a bit better about it since I have started taking on so many more commissions. Maybe one day I will not be a last minute cosplayer!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
daylight
Sugar Junkie

I do a bit of an on and off thing, I work on costumes for a few months, get burnt out on it, then a few months later im all into it, then I get post con depression really badly so there is always about half a year after going to a Con that I cant cosplay

I know the feel when you spend all your money and time, pour your blood sweat an tears into your work, then when its done, Im never really happy with it,

thats why I decided to finish up the cosplay im working on now and be done with making costumes, ill still go to cons, ill just always wear the same cosplay
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Procrastination use to be my main problem too, I would wait til like 2 or 3 months before a con to start on all of my costumes, and in the mean time get distracted with games and watching anime and stuff like that, so it'd be 2 weeks away from con time and I'd realize I have 3 costumes to make/finish, and I'd freak out, rush through them, and of course they wouldn't come out like I wanted, so later I'd have to spend more money and more time remaking them.

In 2009 I took a break from going to conventions, and spent about 8 months just casually working on costumes, I managed to bust out about 6 costumes, and therefore put me a little bit ahead for 2010. Since then, if I don't NEED anything worked on, I still work on it, cuz there is absolutely no problem with having a costume done 6 months before you need it. As of right now, I'm working on a costume I've been working on for 3 months, it's almost done, and I don't even need it til June. As soon as I'm done with all of my costumes for one year, I immediately start on the next years costumes, and I make them in the order I'll be wearing them, so I'm always ahead of schedule. Plus this way, if you end up procrastinating (like I still do sometimes XD) it doesn't screw you over, so you still end up with plenty of time.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote