Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Cosplayers UNITE! a quick question

Okay yeah,
So two things, first I am a member I promise I am not spamming this has just been bugging me for a while and I thought "why not bring it to the all knowing?". Second it brings up a question that I'm not normally a fan of cause I grew up with two male nerds who frequented comic book and anime stores with me attached so I know this can start a war but I am truelyy curious.
SOOO!

What would you say the most 5 most popular anime/mangas, comics, games and tv shows are? If you have another genre to add please do and if you have a favorite say so I might not know it.

Now if you are wondering why I am asking I have a educational reason. (Curse you high school) I am in the running for a scholarship and one of the things I have to do is complete full research into a fictional business that I create based on my current skills. Well since I suck at sewing and my art is subpar it relies on my yarn crafting skills. So after a bunch of thought and the kick in the butt by my teacher (who is giving me a grade for this as well. Positives!) I decided, why not a small size knitting store, where there are amigurumi and scarves with your fave characters, and symbols. Or even similar items, like gloves or hats. So please be aware that this is the reason behind my asking, so if it makes you uncomfortable then I understand and have a great day!

Otherwise thank you for your help!
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Im pretty sure stuff like this isn't allowed.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

I'm not making any money, it is only a question, I am trying to follow the rules, and if it is a problem I will go elsewhere, but I know that the people here can help me and so I asked. Again, I am not actually starting the business I just have to research everything and catalog it.
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

As a high school student I understand where you are coming from ><; I've had assignments that required I make a fake 'business' or 'webpage'(on word).

As for the most popular animes.. I think it's subjective really. I know that DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach are commonly well-known among people who aren't generally familiar with anime.

I think a lot of people would also like certain scarves and other accessories made from Final Fantasy games, so that's an idea. Maybe even Legend of Zelda?

and I know for sure that hats that have animal ears are very popular at anime conventions and sell really well.

Have fun making your fake store! I hope I was a little bit of help ><'

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Medli; Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Doesn't matter. There's a "no homework" rule..Doing this for something school related counts as homework..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

It's called google.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
It's called google.
This..So much.. Doesn't anyone do reasearch on their own anymore? I mean yea I understand needing help on something you can't find or don't know what it's called to get help, but isn't asking everyone else, kinda US doing the work for you? I think that's one of the reason for that rule..We shouldn't do your homework for you..You shouldn't get a passing grade on a paper that everyone else did your research on..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

I think she was asking us for our opinion, since we all share the common interest. We aren't doing all her research, just really what, in cosplayers eyes, would we want to see in a store kinda built around knitting cosplay items and accessories.

It's easy to miss some things in the rules sometimes. People make mistakes.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Medli; Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Thank you J-Mirakuru, I have a couple of those hats I just wasn't sure what is popular, cause I personally like Bleach, One Piece and Soul Eater, but thats me personally so.

Yes, thank you I have tried google, but the problem with google is that a good portion of the information is skewed or isn't useful. Look, if I had asked the most popular without telling you it would have been fine and dandy, but because I was honest about it, only a few will answer. I would answer this for others, and I try to help whenever I know something, so is it difficult to ask y'all to answer my question? I also asked if you won't help to just ignore the post.
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

You're probably going to get your thread locked soon (Cosplay.com forums specifically don't allow "hey help me with my homework plz" threads), but you could easily just search what sells the most and get a ton of results with actual facts supporting them. If you ask for subjective opinions from cosplayers based on representation at conventions, you're going to get skewed opinions since fads come and go. Actual articles are better for citations in academic work, not stuff like "kawaiianime890 on Cosplay.com said ____."

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...elevision.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...me-2012-6?op=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ng_video_games
http://www.mangashare.com/forums/thr...-Selling-Anime
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...012-first-half
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18501.html

etc.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairypiranha View Post
Look, if I had asked the most popular without telling you it would have been fine and dandy, but because I was honest about it, only a few will answer. I would answer this for others, and I try to help whenever I know something, so is it difficult to ask y'all to answer my question? I also asked if you won't help to just ignore the post.
Shoulda lurked more.

Good luck on your project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

I am not asking you to do my homework, this is a form of market research. I chose a genre of people to ask, it is a large sample that has less likely points of skewed interest. I am not asking you to "do my homework plz" I'm asking you to answer a simple question that provide me with answer to an open-ended question with multiple sources. I could have done a survey but I do not have a large enough sample for it to be worth it. I have chosen this as a market citation, as is allowed, and if I had gone off a previous posting, I would have no control over the information it would only be what is left. Does that make sense?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I am not asking you to do my homework, this is a form of market research. I chose a genre of people to ask, it is a large sample that has less likely points of skewed interest. I am not asking you to "do my homework plz" I'm asking you to answer a simple question that provide me with answer to an open-ended question with multiple sources. I could have done a survey but I do not have a large enough sample for it to be worth it. I have chosen this as a market citation, as is allowed, and if I had gone off a previous posting, I would have no control over the information it would only be what is left. Does that make sense?
Don't get your knickers in a twist; Angathol -- a moderator, mind you -- just pointed you in the right direction. We're not being hostile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

I'm sorry but I'm kind of hurt. I looked at the rules before I posted and I did my best to follow them. I have spent my time on this forum helping people and I needed one answer. It wasn't me asking about Othello or any of my homework, it was asking for opinions which is allowed. The fact that only two people would help me shows me I trusted too much in this forum.

I thank Angathol for posting those links, but I cannot use them. I needed the large sample of people with different interest and from different places. I also need to be able to keep protocol of information, meaning I need to be able to prove authenticity and have control over the information being sure of no spam.

Last edited by Fairypiranha : 01-22-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Okay yeah,
So two things, first I am a member I promise I am not spamming this has just been bugging me for a while and I thought "why not bring it to the all knowing?". Second it brings up a question that I'm not normally a fan of cause I grew up with two male nerds who frequented comic book and anime stores with me attached so I know this can start a war but I am truelyy curious.
SOOO!

What would you say the most 5 most popular anime/mangas, comics, games and tv shows are? If you have another genre to add please do and if you have a favorite say so I might not know it.

Now if you are wondering why I am asking I have a educational reason. (Curse you high school) I am in the running for a scholarship and one of the things I have to do is complete full research into a fictional business that I create based on my current skills. Well since I suck at sewing and my art is subpar it relies on my yarn crafting skills. So after a bunch of thought and the kick in the butt by my teacher (who is giving me a grade for this as well. Positives!) I decided, why not a small size knitting store, where there are amigurumi and scarves with your fave characters, and symbols. Or even similar items, like gloves or hats. So please be aware that this is the reason behind my asking, so if it makes you uncomfortable then I understand and have a great day!

Otherwise thank you for your help!
Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm kind of hurt. I looked at the rules before I posted and I did my best to follow them. I have spent my time on this forum helping people and I needed one answer. It wasn't me asking about Othello or any of my homework, it was asking for opinions which is allowed. The fact that only two people would help me shows me I trusted too much in this forum.

I thank Angathol for posting those links, but I cannot use them. I needed the large sample of people with different interest and from different places. I also need to be able to keep protocol of information, meaning I need to be able to prove authenticity and have control over the information being sure of no spam.
It was asking for opinions for research that you will use to apply for a scholarship and for which you will receive a grade. To say that is not homework is arguing semantics. This not allowed on the forum, so please don't take it personally. People are not refusing to help you just to be jerks. Here is a similar thread from last month that was locked.

And now I will break the rules and help you with your homework. There are a number of serious problems with your proposal.

1. From a business point of view, most popular is not a matter of opinion. It is a verifiable fact based on sales, viewing or even number of illegal downloads. The favorites of a few random people on a forum may have no relationship to what will sell.

2. You say that you have to prove authenticity. How will you do that with forum users? Soliciting personal information is most definitely against the rules.

3. Characters and symbols are trademarked. The cost of licensing multiple intellectual properties is well beyond the budget of a small store. I think that the idea of a yarn and crafting store is a good one. You can even focus on "nerd" pop culture if you like, but you can't rely on trademarked things.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote