Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Spelunker

Erasable Cloth Markers

I'm having the darndest time finding a cloth marker that will vanish after washing. Specifically, something I can trace patterns onto fabric for cutting. EZ Washout Cloth Marker won't come out, and it looks like tailors chalk would work fine, but it's really hard to apply it to stretchy fabrics. What about water-soluable fabric markers? Disappearing ink markers? What if I just got a box of Crayola markers that claim to never stain?
Spelunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I've used the white pen from here before, and it came out fine: http://www.tailorschalks.com/disappear.htm

Don't go for the Crayola markers. They're designed to wash off skin and *some* fabrics, and on the back of the packet it warns that some clothes and furnishings will stain.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Penlowe

most 'wash-out' fabric marking markers/ pencils are designed for natural fibers. your issue is likely based in the fact that you are using man-made fibers.
Tailors chalk comes in a wide variety of shapes, some fat round sticks, some flat wedges, some very fine sticks meant for mechanical pencils, trying a different shape might help.

I'm not a draw-the-pattern person, I use pins or weights & just cut.
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I hate tailor's chalk, I prefer not to apply pressure to my fabric because things can shift. And it's big and bulky. (When I say "tailor's chalk" I mean the stuff actually labeled as "Tailor's Chalk" in fabric stores...which is a triangular wedge. I don't care for the non-mechanical pencils, either.)

Try a Clover Chaco Liner. It's a dispenser with a tiny wheel in the tip that leaves ultra-fine chalk dust behind. The dust comes in different colors. The only thing is that it can be trickier to go around curves with it.

I also use the Dritz fabric markers: the purple disappearing ink markers and the blue Mark-B-Gone markers. I haven't had trouble with those staining synthetic fabrics. Sometimes the marks persist if you don't get the fabric wet enough and you'll find ghost color, but then I just dunk the entire thing in water to really saturate it and that works fine. (Just don't get the pink version. I had a bitch of a time getting the pink ink to disappear.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I use artist grade Rembrandt Soft Pastel all the time know in white and beige (on white fabric) to draft my stuff. The high colour with low filler so the glide smoothly and wash out in the wash fine.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote