Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
moosedoom
seamstress

Pinup dr. who

One day I just thought up this idea for a burlesque dr. who type costume.

I'd like to know what people think about it.

Link to the gallery. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/456409/
moosedoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

It's an interesting design, but I wouldn't recognize it as Dr. Who. Some others might, especially those who fell in love with the fez thing, but I don't see much other connection. You'd have better luck in a group.
The lower half of the costume is kinda lacking. If you had something to create interest in the pants, like a belt chain or whatever... I don't know. It's not really my thing.

Awesome corset, though. Looks velvety.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

It doesn't really say Doctor Who. It's more like a play on burlesque's stereotypical points (pasties & underbust corset/waist cincher) with fezzes thrown in. I'm not sure who will say Doctor Who, unless they get the fez reference and really cling to it! They might recognize the Sonic Screwdriver but that's kind of it. Wondering how it could go if you made a bustle skirt in the same blue as the TARDIS with "Police Box" written around the waist/on the back? Assuming you made it in the true style of a bustle skirt. A skirt would feminize it, though I don't know how you feel about skirts! Pin-up is so feminine...

If I had the money for the corset, I would BEG to be able to use it in my burlesque troupe (might not fly with them ~ ). Gorgeous.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

This is a pretty cool idea, but as others have said, I think you need more elements that relate it to the 11th doctor.

The red corset is nice, but I think something lighter and either striped or plaid would be more recognizable. Suspenders also come to mind, and could be worked into a burlesque act, similarly a belt could also act as another "prop". Elbow patches on the jacket is an easily overlooked detail. Maybe pick up Tardis pin to replace your current, which looks to be an artist's palette pin, not sure how that relates to Doctor Who.

It's also rather obvious, and probably a choice made by the model to not change, but a more similar hairstyle is something else that would also help better relate the character.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote