Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

High up pigtails

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...85&tx=62&ty=64

I'm looking for wig I can use to style these pigtails. I don't want to buy a pre-styled wig for it. For styling a single ponytail I've always used Femme Fatale from amphigory. I'm thinking that would work but I prefer the color and weight of the wig fibers from arda-wigs. Any suggestions on a wig from arda that would work would be awesome.

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Aurorae

The Chibi from Arda and some extra wefts to lengthen/thicken the pigtails would work. Just move the tails a bit higher on the head, layer them, and spike them.

Unless by 'not pre-styled' you mean 'not already back-parted' in which case any medium length wig plus extensions would do. But I don't see any reason not to get a pre-parted pigtail wig.
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

I mean not already back-parted. The reason not to get a pre-parted wig is because I want to learn how to do it myself. :P

I want to avoid a wig that has the little volumizing strands. The first ponytail I styled had those and it was a disaster....I figure it would be even worse with pigtails.
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddeltk View Post
I mean not already back-parted. The reason not to get a pre-parted wig is because I want to learn how to do it myself. :P

I want to avoid a wig that has the little volumizing strands. The first ponytail I styled had those and it was a disaster....I figure it would be even worse with pigtails.
Like... you're WANTING to have to sew in extra wefts to get it to part right? @___@
Man way too much extra unneeded effort.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

Yes, I want to sew in extra wefts. For the same reasons I don't buy pre-styled ponytails. I want to know that the wig fits my head right before it's styled. I don't want it giving me red marks if it's too small and I don't want it falling off if it's too big. I guess what is more important is that I really enjoy doing it. On top of that as far as high-up pigtails go these ones are relatively simple. I want to learn to do it on a simpler style so when I move on to some thing way more complex than that I will have already had experience. That in mind it doesn't really seem like unneeded work to me. I might completely regret it after I'm done but that's okay with me.
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Yes, I want to sew in extra wefts. For the same reasons I don't buy pre-styled ponytails. I want to know that the wig fits my head right before it's styled. I don't want it giving me red marks if it's too small and I don't want it falling off if it's too big. I guess what is more important is that I really enjoy doing it. On top of that as far as high-up pigtails go these ones are relatively simple. I want to learn to do it on a simpler style so when I move on to some thing way more complex than that I will have already had experience. That in mind it doesn't really seem like unneeded work to me. I might completely regret it after I'm done but that's okay with me.
Well everyone's goals with cosplay are different. I wouldn't do it unless I needed to but that's me xD
I feel you on the fit though. I keep having to modify wigs to get them to lay right.
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

I can see why people view it as unnecessary. I am a hopeless perfectionist so I kind of worry about buying a wig pre-styled because if I don't love it I would probably end up taking the whole thing apart and redoing it. Plus I have loads of time on my hands so I might as well try every thing.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
I can see why people view it as unnecessary. I am a hopeless perfectionist so I kind of worry about buying a wig pre-styled because if I don't love it I would probably end up taking the whole thing apart and redoing it. Plus I have loads of time on my hands so I might as well try every thing.
Well good luck then :3
Wigs aren't that hard to work with if you know what not to do lol it's fun
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I personally have a large head and know this issue myself when it come to updo's.

Arda Chibi is larger however (but the circumference was to small for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhbSX7KF80c

The Femme Fatale is actually a Lacey Prom Page wig.

But if you have a larger head like me I still recommend using Arda as a base wig with matching wefts as the circumference and cap size is larger then Lacey and Newlook.

Also with the ponytail style wig is much easier to alter then the Femme Fatale in personal experience as the mess on those are really fine cell fishnets and super expandable.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/unique-types

The Buttercup, Eowyn, Ferrari, and Merry are also viable updo base wigs to use.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/medium

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
I personally have a large head and know this issue myself when it come to updo's.

Arda Chibi is larger however (but the circumference was to small for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhbSX7KF80c

The Femme Fatale is actually a Lacey Prom Page wig.

But if you have a larger head like me I still recommend using Arda as a base wig with matching wefts as the circumference and cap size is larger then Lacey and Newlook.

Also with the ponytail style wig is much easier to alter then the Femme Fatale in personal experience as the mess on those are really fine cell fishnets and super expandable.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/unique-types

The Buttercup, Eowyn, Ferrari, and Merry are also viable updo base wigs to use.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/medium
Thanks for the advice. I generally have to worry about it being too big rather than too small. I styled a ponytail that was too big and it looked lumpy when I put it on even after making several adjustments so I'd like to avoid that .I love styling updos so I am totally on board with the extra work, I've just never had to do two ponytails.