Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Hiroto Sumi
Hiroto Sumi

Fabric Bleeding - Need help

I got my Asuna (Sword Art Online) costume the other day, and it was all wrinkled, so I decided to iron it this evening. I did so, and then noticed a dirt spot on the red skirt, in which I cleaned it off with soap and water. I then made the huge mistake of putting the wet skirt onto the white shirt, in which the white shirt shortly formed a pink spot. I tried to wash the pink spot out too, but then I realized that the wetness was making the white shirt bleed pink from the red lines of fabric. Now the white shirt is drying and there are pink spots around the red edges on the bottom of it. I'm really upset that I ruined the costume, and I didn't even get to wear it yet.

Is there a way to remove the pink spots without ruining the rest of the costume? I can't wash the shirt because the red bleeds easy onto the white. Thanks, and hopefully something will fix this problem.
Hiroto Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

It sound like the red fabric wasn't pre-washed when you made it. Red will always bleed which is why you want to use synthetic fabric for it as much as possible.

had the same issue with my Mami cosplay. I removed all the trim and coloured fabric. Bleach the white pars with stain remove (Rit makes one). Wash the trim/colour fabric separately and then sewed it back together.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
It sound like the red fabric wasn't pre-washed when you made it. Red will always bleed which is why you want to use synthetic fabric for it as much as possible.

had the same issue with my Mami cosplay. I removed all the trim and coloured fabric. Bleach the white pars with stain remove (Rit makes one). Wash the trim/colour fabric separately and then sewed it back together.
They bought it, since the OP said the received the costume the other day.

Maybe you could try using a stain stick/tide to go on the white parts? I'm not really an expert on fabrics. Try maybe spot-bleaching it? Sorry I couldnt be more of a help.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
g00dapple

Here is what I found:

The first thing to do is find the culprit and pull it out. Then rewash all the whites using a nonchlorine bleach or a cup of white distilled vinegar in addition to your regular laundry detergent. Do this BEFORE you put the clothes in the dryer.

If you have already dried the clothing or the dye transfer is heavy, you will need to take time to soak the clothing before rewashing. Mix a solution of oxygen-based bleach (Clorox 2, OxiClean or Tide Stain Release) and warm water following the package directions. Submerge the stained items and allow them to soak for 8 hours. Check the clothes and if the dye stains are gone, wash as usual. If they remain, soak for another 8 hours with a fresh solution and then wash.

Use the same oxygen-based bleach soak for colored clothes that have dye transfer from other clothes or within the fabric pattern.

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Penlowe

You may have to separate the red section from the white to wash both in order to really prevent further issues.
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
thelovelysin
Informant

Rit Color Remover is your friend. It's made specifically for things like this. You can usually find it at walmart in the laundry detergent section.

Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke): 100% complete
Ja'far (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic): 75% complete
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Hiroto Sumi
Hiroto Sumi

Thank you for your help, everyone. I bought Tide Erasers and they work really well! The stains are being removed now, so bye bye pink spots, which are everywhere...
Hiroto Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote