Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 04-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
RealFireNSteel

Sword Vendor Looking for Suggestions from Fans!

Hey guys,

I'm Laura with Fire and Steel, one of the sword and weaponry vendors who has been attending AN for the past 4-5 years now.

I'm trying something new this year and looking for suggestions from fans as to what you think will be popular to stock this year?

I love interacting with attendees and I realized I should just ask what you'd want to see, rather than assume! The con often gets so busy that I don't have time to talk to people like I want to.

All our social media: @RealFireNSteel
Website: www.fireandsteel.ca (not fully updated yet with all our products)

-- Laura, Fire and Steel
RealFireNSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
RealFireNSteel

Also I talked to the AN organizers about possibly being interested in running a beginners weaponry training workshop if not this year, then in the future (I would provide the foam weaponry). Would people be interested in attending a free workshop like this in the future?

It would be techniques in how to use broadsword, katanas and straightswords and general fitness training to be able to do performance combat.
Unread 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFireNSteel View Post
Also I talked to the AN organizers about possibly being interested in running a beginners weaponry training workshop if not this year, then in the future (I would provide the foam weaponry). Would people be interested in attending a free workshop like this in the future?

It would be techniques in how to use broadsword, katanas and straightswords and general fitness training to be able to do performance combat.
That sounds like fun! I'd be into that.
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Final Fantasy FFXV weapons(Engine blade/Royal Arms), new stuff from Breath of the Wild, seems like Neir will also be a hit with some people. Overwatch (Genji's stuff)

Official Anime North Forums

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
CeruleanThorn
Sewcrastinator

RWBY and SAO are the first things that come to mind.

Since Sailor Moon is having it's 25th anniversary, there might be interest in Sailor Uranus' sword. Maybe less relevant for AN, but Buffy is on its 20th anniversary, so Faith's dagger and the Scythe might be popular.
CeruleanThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
RealFireNSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Final Fantasy FFXV weapons(Engine blade/Royal Arms), new stuff from Breath of the Wild, seems like Neir will also be a hit with some people. Overwatch (Genji's stuff)
Thank you for the suggestions. Fortunately, I do have Genji's stuff coming in for Anime North. So I can cross that off the list (phew). FFXV weapons are in development and I'm unfortunately not sure if they'll be able to make it in time.

I just looked up Breath of the Wild weaponry... they're very cool looking. I actually am not fully aware of the AN policy on bows and arrows, so I should check this beforehand. Unless folks here know more about the bow-arrow policy? I assume obviously they will only allow cosplay/LARP friendly bows and arrows.

Neir is another one that's new to me. Thank you so much for the suggestions.
Unread 04-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
RealFireNSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeruleanThorn View Post
RWBY and SAO are the first things that come to mind.

Since Sailor Moon is having it's 25th anniversary, there might be interest in Sailor Uranus' sword. Maybe less relevant for AN, but Buffy is on its 20th anniversary, so Faith's dagger and the Scythe might be popular.
Ohh great suggestions too. I haven't thought about that. Especially with the new Sailor Moon series reviving interest in it for the new generation.

Also, I love Buffy so I'm happy to see people still pay attention to it. I was originally wary of stocking Buffy-related weaponry because it's been so long ago... but it might be worth investing in a small shipment of these items.
Unread 04-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. Fortunately, I do have Genji's stuff coming in for Anime North. So I can cross that off the list (phew). FFXV weapons are in development and I'm unfortunately not sure if they'll be able to make it in time.

I just looked up Breath of the Wild weaponry... they're very cool looking. I actually am not fully aware of the AN policy on bows and arrows, so I should check this beforehand. Unless folks here know more about the bow-arrow policy? I assume obviously they will only allow cosplay/LARP friendly bows and arrows.

Neir is another one that's new to me. Thank you so much for the suggestions.
Bows are allowed, strung ones can be carried slung over the shoulder and unstrung can be held like a staff. Obv. if metal has to go to the car after purchasing.

I am not sure on arrows, would imagine only LARP friendly ones.

I hope you can get the FFXV weapons in time. Would be very cool.

Last edited by DireKitty : 04-11-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Unread 04-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:

I would be a big fan of this. I think "how to hold your prop weapon for photos" would also be very popular to talk about. A lot of people get ultra awkward with their weapons since they don't know how to hold them/use them.

Unread 04-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #10
RealFireNSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
I would be a big fan of this. I think "how to hold your prop weapon for photos" would also be very popular to talk about. A lot of people get ultra awkward with their weapons since they don't know how to hold them/use them.
That's a great point that I never considered! Proper stances/grips make a huge difference to how a person looks when wielding certain types of weaponry. I'll suggest that to the AN staff as a part of the workshop.

In case the workshop doesn't happen this year, if anyone has any questions about how to hold certain weapons, feel free to swing by our Fire and Steel booth and I'll be happy to show you. I think we're right now positioned at booth H13.
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:30 AM   #11
AJ the Collector
Collector

Personally, I've always wanted to see you stock some selections from Zidane's assortment of daggers from Final Fantasy 9. Kenshin's reverse-bladed katana would be awesome too.

Next Cosplays:

ETD = Estimated Time of Debut

Totakeke - AN 2017
Sans - AN 2017
Mr. Mayor (Animal Crossing: New Leaf) - Fan Expo 2017
L - ETD 2017
Bartholomew Kuma - ETD AN 2018
James (Pokemon) - ETD 2018
Equius Zahhak - Trickster Mode
Gamzee Makara - Lususswap AU
Big Macintosh
Dick Gumshoe
Toriel
Sable Able
Penelope (Sly 3)
Clawdia (Fighting Foodons)

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Didn't see this but also wood base swords. Standard Broadsword, standard katana, I think i bought a Chinese handle Broadsword from your booth at AN years ago in 2013 which was super helpful to finish my cosplay with adding custom details, aluminium tape the blade section.

Con safe (no edge) weapons are great finds for cosplays.

Costume Con 35 '17
Victorian Draculaura, Monster High & Regina, Once Upon a Time

Anime North '17
Rock, Nambaka
Darling Charming, Ever After High

Future cosplays/cons:
Effie Trinket(FanExpo ?), Lagertha, Sakizou Ms. Anniversary, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
RealFireNSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
Personally, I've always wanted to see you stock some selections from Zidane's assortment of daggers from Final Fantasy 9. Kenshin's reverse-bladed katana would be awesome too.
Noted for Final Fantasy 9 =). For Final Fantasy so far, FFXV stuff is in production. I currently have a stock of Sephiroth's Masamune, Cloud's Buster Sword (both FFVII and Advent Children's version that breaks apart into 6 blades), Rikku's twin blades from FFX-2, Lightning's Gunblade from FFVIII.... and some random weird-looking short blades (they're more like daggers that kind of look like scissor blades from Kill La Kill, but aren't) from the earlier FF games that I can't seem to identify since I confess I don't know the games prior to FFVII. =/ If you or anyone else knows earlier FF games and want to take a shot at identifying them, I'll happily give you a sword discount if you figure out where they're from.

Kenshin's reverse blade katanas have finally been restocked actually. They're just $80 with me (taxes already included). Anyone wants one, just send me a message and I'll put one aside for you. I might only have like 5, so not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPAINTandUnicorns View Post
Didn't see this but also wood base swords. Standard Broadsword, standard katana, I think i bought a Chinese handle Broadsword from your booth at AN years ago in 2013 which was super helpful to finish my cosplay with adding custom details, aluminium tape the blade section.

Con safe (no edge) weapons are great finds for cosplays.
Yeah that's a great suggestion and that makes a lot of sense. That's probably why one of my best selling items are practice-grade bokken (great for any katana based cosplay, and when you're not using them, you can practice with them). So very practical and useful to have and you can always just repaint them for your next cosplay too.

Lately I've been experimenting with stocking wood versions of specific popular swords Saber's Excalibur, Saber-Alter's Excalibur-Morgan,, Ichigo's zangetsu (shikai and bankai), sasuke's sword, master swords, etc. So I'm not sure what to expect this year... I've been dabbling more and more in the cosplay friendly market and everyone has been very helpful and great with suggestions.

PS. Much appreciation for the nod and the purchase from years ago. That probably was me and I remember the item. I'm always happy to talk to a former customer again =)

Last edited by RealFireNSteel : 05-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.