Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
PeregrineStudio
Never give in.

Millennium Eye - Wearable prop?

Hey all,

I'm looking to make a wearable Millennium Eye prop. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to successfully 'mount' the Millennium Eye to one's, well, eye, without resorting to an eye patch-type string or some such?

I'm fine for actually designing the eye itself... I'm just not sure how it could be made 'wearable'.

Thanks in advance for any help!
PeregrineStudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
kyronami
Crossplayer

My first thought for mounting would be some kind of skin adhesive like spirit gum or medical adhesive, but you want to be really careful using it around your eye.
kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Penlowe

I have a vivid memory from high school theater where this dude, who was to play an old man, accidentally glued his eyes open because his eyelashes got stuck in the spirit gum with which he was attaching the old man eyebrows . At the moment it happened it was hilarious, but then he started freaking out because his eyes were getting dry. We had to drip water on his eyes while our teacher very carefully removed the spirit gum. No permanent harm occurred, but it was a good lesson to us all about how careful one needs to be with spirit gum around the eyes.

So, that said, practice with it on some other body part before moving to your face, and/ or find a theater/ make up student to guide you through learning.
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

i wouldnt make it permanant..... i forsee a lot of falling and bumping into walls..... id practice holding it up to your eye with soley pressure for photos but not wearing it while you are walking
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
SanctusMalum

I would suggest a monocle or custom contact lens. Now if you choose to go with a contact it will likely cost you quite a bit http://www.9mmsfx.com/contact.html
Vocaloid, Dell Honnie
Batman, Black Mask (Khaotic 14, Metro 14)
Soul Eater, Spirit/Death Scythe (Shado 12, Metro 13&14)
Hetalia, England Cd (Metro 13, Khaotic 14)
Team Fortress 2, Blu Spy
Soul Eater, Giriko
Baccano!, Maiza Avaro
Pokemon, Giovanni (Khaotic 14)
SanctusMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
kyronami
Crossplayer

Be aware that full eye contacts like that can be very uncomfortable to wear
kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Waaaaay back in the day I ran into someone at a con who sculpted the eye-shaped portion in clay (sculpey, maybe), and then glued it onto half of a ping-pong ball. Whenever someone asked for a photo, he held the half-ball up to his face and used his eye muscles to hold it in place temporarily. At the time he was talking about painting the ball black so you couldn't tell what it is in the photo, you would just see the gold eye, but I don't know if he ever did. It was ages ago.

Considering that when not "using" the Eye, Pegasus tends to keep his hair over that side of his face, you might be more comfortable just styling the wig to cover your eye until photo time, and then do something temporary like squinting a ball onto your face or something. Having an eye blocked all day by a prop (eyepatch, for example) is extremely uncomfortable and does mess with your eyesight, so it's usually advisable to have something you can remove regularly or only put on for photos.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
PeregrineStudio
Never give in.

Thanks everyone - sounds like a tricky business at best.

I wish I could do the temporary solution - hold it in place with eye muscles temporarily - but not only do I want to be able to have it on the whole time (just for vanity's sake), but I plan to do a Masquerade skit as Pegasus as well, so I'd need to wear it for a long(ish) period of time.

Returning to the basics, ie. eye patch, I wonder how fishing wire or invisible thread would do? I'd need to be careful to make sure the angle was right, but I wonder if thread like that would show up on my skin.
PeregrineStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
SanctusMalum

Again I suggest a monocle which is similar to CapsuleCorp's idea, monocles are made to just rest there over the eye if worn properly.
Vocaloid, Dell Honnie
Batman, Black Mask (Khaotic 14, Metro 14)
Soul Eater, Spirit/Death Scythe (Shado 12, Metro 13&14)
Hetalia, England Cd (Metro 13, Khaotic 14)
Team Fortress 2, Blu Spy
Soul Eater, Giriko
Baccano!, Maiza Avaro
Pokemon, Giovanni (Khaotic 14)
SanctusMalum is offline   Reply With Quote