Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Lauralot

Attaching Hair Extensions to a Cowl?

I'm working on a cosplay for Yvonne Craig's Batgirl, and I just received her cowl in the mail. The wig I was planning to wear underneath it makes the cowl too tight. Since the cowl is rigid and has no give to it, I figure that instead of ordering other wigs and hoping they fit below it, I'd be better off ordering wefts of hair and attaching them to the back of the cowl rather than wearing a full wig.

However, I've never attached hair to something before (plastic, in this case). Is there a certain glue I should use? Or should I not use glue at all, and go for a particular tape or something? If anyone has experience with something similar, I'd love to hear about it!
Lauralot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauralot View Post
I'm working on a cosplay for Yvonne Craig's Batgirl, and I just received her cowl in the mail. The wig I was planning to wear underneath it makes the cowl too tight. Since the cowl is rigid and has no give to it, I figure that instead of ordering other wigs and hoping they fit below it, I'd be better off ordering wefts of hair and attaching them to the back of the cowl rather than wearing a full wig.

However, I've never attached hair to something before (plastic, in this case). Is there a certain glue I should use? Or should I not use glue at all, and go for a particular tape or something? If anyone has experience with something similar, I'd love to hear about it!
If you can just sew it in. Get wefts of hair and sew it in. It would look so much better IMO :3
I've never seen a cowl made of actual plastic?? I'm assuming it's something like vinyl or the like... You can sew through vinyl. Gluing fibers might melt them if you use hot glue, and it will get bunch and messed up. Tape wouldn't stay.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Faraday
oh modern man.

Have you thought of attaching the hair to a wig cap or a stretchy head band instead? That way it moves your own hair out of the way and you don't have to worry about possibly ruining your cowl with glue.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Lauralot

It is an actual plastic shell with fabric on the outside, not vinyl.

I like the headband idea. I will try it and see how that goes.
Lauralot is offline   Reply With Quote