Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I've thought about doing this as Jack, but I have no idea what I would give out. I was thinking of giving replicas of the cursed Aztec gold coins, but couldn't really figure out a good explanation for why I'd hand that out, just thought it would be something relevant and fun

Now I currently hand out my business cards to anyone who I have somewhat of a conversation with or if the question of impersonation comes up (like when I go to the Prudential Center in Boston, everyone asks why I'm dressed up), and I hand them my card as some sort of explanation. I think I should make a separate card to give to con goers though, because I doubt many cosplayers at conventions will be looking for a Jack Sparrow impersonator lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
I've thought about doing this as Jack, but I have no idea what I would give out. I was thinking of giving replicas of the cursed Aztec gold coins, but couldn't really figure out a good explanation for why I'd hand that out, just thought it would be something relevant and fun
You could say something simple, like "Hold this, mate" right before you leave. Deny involvement if questioned. I'm not a master of Sparrow, but I'm sure you could make it work somehow.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #33
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
You could say something simple, like "Hold this, mate" right before you leave. Deny involvement if questioned. I'm not a master of Sparrow, but I'm sure you could make it work somehow.
That is an awesome idea for a Jack cosplayer - I would love to see someone do this, and would really get a kick out of it.

I looking at ways to hand out a business card with my tumblr and photobucket at Dragon*Con so that people can see the photos I take, and share photos they take of me. I also love the idea of handing out something that matches the costume.

For my Pinkie Pie Party Pirate, I'm going to have a variety of friendship bracelets with different beads, or just knotted thread bracelets to match different pony colors. I figure it'll be a cute "booty" for a pirate to hand out, and also goes with the "Friendship is Magic" idea

Queen Mab... I'm thinking of making some variety of snowflake or crystal charm with a tag, since she's the Queen of the Winter Court. My Dresden, however, will hand out his own business cards, printed with "Harry Dresden -- Wizard" as he has in the book series...

Once, many years ago at Otakon, we had a group of us dressed as the guys from Weiss Kreuz, in their flower shop attire. We each had fake flowers to hand out that were the flowers associated with them. It was a cute idea, but those were not our best costume attempts ever.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Undead Death Knight Starter Gear (WoW),
Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor), Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asgard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
Ilafatyu
That guy

I was thinking of making and giving out little black rukh things when cosplaying Judal. Just two feathers glued together at the bottom to make a V, probably. Is this a good idea, or is it dumb?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
ZeroCosplay

lol. I would
ZeroCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #36
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
That is an awesome idea for a Jack cosplayer - I would love to see someone do this, and would really get a kick out of it.

I looking at ways to hand out a business card with my tumblr and photobucket at Dragon*Con so that people can see the photos I take, and share photos they take of me. I also love the idea of handing out something that matches the costume.

haha I'll get working on that. Maybe at Otakon I will have something worked out

I like the idea of the cards with your Tumblr account on it. I find that a lot of people take pics of me, and some of them end up online, but I don't find them usually until like a month later. So it would be nice if there was an exchange of information between cosplayer and photographer so we can all find the photos people take of us. Now it's just a matter of the other person holding up their end of the bargain. I know if I am handed a card by the cosplayer, if the photo turns out well, I definitely post it up on dA or sometimes on Tumblr and I will usually tell that cosplayer that I got a pic of them. Keeping in contact with people that you take pics with is a good networking skill (especially if you are trying to promote a photography business or even professional impersonating). It's good to get yourself out there and to be easily contacted.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #37
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

For my Waitress Tsumugi I'm planning on bringing some treats to share with everyone at the K-ON photoshoot at ACen. I think gift-giving is very cute, nice, all those good things. (Provided the gift isn't inappropriate or creepy.)

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #38
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

At Sebastion cosplayer from Kuroshitsuji (or Black Butler) handed out a Ciel Phantomhive memorial card for people who took his photo.

It's been a while since I watched Kuroshiusji so this is what I'm talking about.

Did I also mention he made all the cards and well. It was very professional. (Not the best word to describe but... XD)
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #39
Kazuto Kirigaya
Hero Of Time

This brings back bad memories for me, but I suppose it's a nice idea.

- Aladdin - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 20%
- Asuna Yuuki - Sword Art Online - 70%
- Kagami Taiga - 99%
- Rin Okumura - Blue Exorcist - 100%
- Judal - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 100%
- Makoto - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - 10%
- Eren Jaeger - Attack on Titan 100%

Cons:
AM2
Anime Expo 2014
Wondercon
Anime LA
Yaoi con
Kazuto Kirigaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #40
daylight
Sugar Junkie

I think it would be cool if this became a popular thing, and allot of people started doing it, then you would get home from a convention with all sorts of trinkets and memories from your time there
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #41
patriciarakel

I think that giving out little "gifts" can really make your costume stand out. At the last con I was at, there were probably at least nine Jack Frost cosplayers, and the one I remember the best was the one who was passing out candy canes. My friend went up to him to compliment him on his costume and he slipped a candy cane onto my friend's glasses in thanks. It was really cool and my friend walked around with the candy cane hooked on his glasses for most of the day.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #42
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I did consider giving out candy as Finland because he's Santa and people would often ask if I brought them anything. In the end, I haven't done it though. But I have seen others do so.

An Ash cosplayer once told me that he thought of making a bunch of pokeballs to give to all people cosplaying a Pokemon. But he said he was glad he didn't because there was no way he could have made enough.

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)

Last edited by Shana05 : 01-31-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Julesie

The idea of this is adorable. I'm thinking I may try and make some badges to give out at conventions in the future now.
I've never been given anything to take home, but cosplaying England, a person came up to me and because of my cosplay, poured me out a cup of tea from a thermos and let me drink it when it was freezing outside.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuto Kirigaya View Post
This brings back bad memories for me, but I suppose it's a nice idea.
Why the bad memories?

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
Kazuto Kirigaya
Hero Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mirakuru View Post
Why the bad memories?
I met someone who did the "pass out candy" idea at my con, and apparently her idea of it was only giving it to "good" cosplayers. She gave one to my friend and complimented her, looked at me like I was disgusting, scoffed, and then walked off.
But I think your idea is a lot more thoughtful than hers. I was just thinking that the passing out candy part brought the memory back. While this idea wouldn't be for me, I think it's nice that you're doing it

- Aladdin - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 20%
- Asuna Yuuki - Sword Art Online - 70%
- Kagami Taiga - 99%
- Rin Okumura - Blue Exorcist - 100%
- Judal - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 100%
- Makoto - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - 10%
- Eren Jaeger - Attack on Titan 100%

Cons:
AM2
Anime Expo 2014
Wondercon
Anime LA