Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
siyrean

Teeth Whitening

what's the best product to buy? Con season is coming up and I could due to loose some of my coffee stains for photos.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
hippiewriter
Socks.

Mostly I just use whitening toothpaste and that takes care of it. The Listerine whitening mouthwash and the Crest whitestrips work too.

2013 Conventions/Events:
ALA (Artist Alley, Rum Party Staff)
Condor (Dealer's Hall)
Anime Conji (Artist Alley)
Escondido Ren Faire (Volunteer)
Gaslight Gathering (Guest Panelist?)
San Diego Comic Con (Attendee)
San Diego Pirate Faire (Volunteer)
Conjecture/Conchord (Dealer's Hall?)
hippiewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
ItsTroy

I asked my Dentist about teeth whiting, and she said whitening toothpaste doesn't do much for whitening teeth. She recommended the more expensive whitening strips (Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Advanced Seal Professional Effects) and regular teeth cleaning. They were a Crest sponsored business, so she could have just been pushing a product.
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

good teeth brushing and using extra whitening sensodyne has helped me.

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
huskies4ever

I used Crest White Strips Sensitive and I noticed a progressive effect. However, my teeth were pretty white to begin with...
huskies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
LKD
Is a princess!!

After I had my braces taken off, ugh my teeth were horribly stained (DON'T GO AGAINST THE MAN AND DRINK SODA KIDS XD)

So my dentist aka aunt gave me some free crest whitening strips. I used them for a month and my teeth were shiny and white I usually do it like one a year and use the colgate whitening toothpaste (the red box. they have small travek sizes score) around special occasions/con time~
If you must drink dark liquids such as soda or coffee, use a straw,

Keep in mind, human teeth aren't supposed to be bright white! So don't over do it :/

Oh! Test out lipsticks! Some reds will make your teeth brighter and some will make them seem yellower. Always test your lipstick!

Last edited by LKD : 01-29-2013 at 08:32 PM.
LKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Anyone interested in whitening, definitely consult your dentist first before doing anything. Everybody's teeth are different and what works for some may be harmful for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTroy View Post
I asked my Dentist about teeth whiting, and she said whitening toothpaste doesn't do much for whitening teeth. She recommended the more expensive whitening strips (Crest 3D White Whitestrips With Advanced Seal Professional Effects) and regular teeth cleaning. They were a Crest sponsored business, so she could have just been pushing a product.
I received a sample of the Professional Effects Whitestrips and it totally sold me. As a full-time educator, dark, caffeinated beverages pretty much power my day. As such, I noticed I was starting to get "coffee drinker's teeth", superficial staining that got "reset" at my bi-yearly dental cleaning appointments.

When I received my sample, I was rather apprehensive. The last time I had tried Whitestrips, they were the 1st gen (gooey, slipped off your teeth, and were not super effective). The Professional Effects Whitestrips are a massive improvement. They stay in place, are not gooey, and furthermore, I saw results in 1 application. I decided to go ahead and buy a full kit and am seeing progress, just in time for my con season to gear up - I do not think coffee-teeth Jack Frost is a good look LOL. FYI there is a $10 rebate on Professional Effects or 2-hr express Whitestrips that lessens the blow to your wallet. I am working on documenting the progress right now.

Anyway, I have always found that as a "dark beverage drinker", that whitening toothpastes are more of a "maintenance" tool. They do not really have the same power as an applied whitener whether by strips, trays, etc but they do keep your teeth from getting more stained. Said toothpastes may be all some folks need if they do not drink dark beverages. That said, you can still enjoy your coffee, tea, and other dark, hot beverages or red wine by rinsing/chasing with water if brushing afterward is not convenient/possible. Straws in hot drinks = not a good time. With cold drinks, use a straw as LKD suggested or rinse/chase with water.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
TortureBunni
Living in a Dreamworld

Like the other posters, I also suggest whitening strips. My teeth are pretty white to begin with, but I notice that the strip really just make my smile look a lot brighter and vivid. I ususally go through the process about once a year for maintenence. (As a warning, the strips taste horrid and make you drool like crazy)

Brushing with baking soda can also give your toothpaste a bit of a whitening boost.

Convention Schedule 2014:
Katsucon
Otakon
TortureBunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Silver Ash
海女儿

Curious to see how well the strips work for people who don't start out with very white teeth. What if your tooth color is natural and not caused by staining or anything?
Silver Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Personally the Professional Effects Whitestrips made my teeth ache like a bitch. Never again! I wan't expecting that since my teeth are not sensitive at all. They did white them slightly in the two treatment I did. (both times hurt)

I'm having luck with this system if you have sensitive teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu37o39aHag
Link the video because the code still works. And they now have Free shipping to Canada.

Since I have a permanent retainer I'll been working with the molding system to see if i can use the bleach again. But the whitening tooth past has made a HUGE difference on it's own in a month.

The dentists don't recommended the baking soda toothpaste as it scratches your enamel physically overtime wearing you teeth down.

I don't think my teeth where every natural white but that have stained through time and I've notice this more the past 5 years but 5 years ago I didn't have the $400 to shell out on whitening treatments.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 01-31-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
199ichigo991
Weird is my normal ;D

I usually rinse my mouth like once a week or so with hydrogen peroxide. Just let it kinda bubble/foam whatever you call it. It helps a little bit with getting rid of stains. ^^
199ichigo991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

I started using Crest 3D white lytic toothpaste yesterday morning. It claims to take off 90% of surface stains after 5 days of use.

I took a picture of my teeth before I started using it, and at the end of Monday I'm going to take another picture and see how well it worked.

I'll keep this thread updated :>

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mirakuru View Post
I started using Crest 3D white lytic toothpaste yesterday morning. It claims to take off 90% of surface stains after 5 days of use.

I took a picture of my teeth before I started using it, and at the end of Monday I'm going to take another picture and see how well it worked.

I'll keep this thread updated :>
Yes please! I would LOVE to see the results

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
siyrean

alright, i got the $29 version of crest white strips, it's level 2 whitening. not very strong but i need to be reasonable about my beauty budget, especially since i dye my hair 2 colours and really needed a touch up.

day 1, my teeth are feeling a little more sensitive. they might be a little whiter, or i could just be seeing what i want to see.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote