Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

Hunger Games

So I finally read the Hunger Games (I know, late to the party) and, aside from thinking the book was pretty good, I loved reading about all of Cinna's designs for Katniss. Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts about making any of them. I'm thinking I might try to make something like her "candlelight" dress from near the end of the first book, or possibly a cape that looks like it's on fire.
E. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
scsatan

I had the exact same idea, but I wasn't sure anyone would recognize me!
scsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
PfftGato
Wants to learn Korean.

I would love to cosplay as Katniss, especially in her mockingjay wedding dress... @_@

You should really go for it.
PfftGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

I'm honestly not sure how recognizable it will be (er ... especially since I'm liable to get a bit creative in my design and possibly not follow the description word-for-word) but that's often a problem with book cosplays when there isn't an official image to follow. But the books are pretty popular, so I bet a lot of people will know the character if you say who you are.
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
meevist
Satirical Hipster

I really want to put together a Peeta cosplay sometime. Just his Games outfit from book 1, nothing too fancy. I keep hearing about a movie coming out next year or something - if that turns out to be true I can't wait to see the designs they come up with for Cinna's outfits! Or the Capitol people, for that matter.
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
JadeKat
will take your soul

Yeah, it'd be amazing to be the designer for that movie. *A* If they swing it right, there's totally an award in there some where. Damn, I'm nervous about the movie. Anyway, it IS difficult to conceptualize that she has in the books, but that makes it fun, I think! If any of your are in the Ohio area, my friends and I are doing a Hunger Games shoot in late spring/early summer. :> If you wanna join. I did Katniss at Dragon*Con and a couple of people recognized me! I was so geeked. There was a Mockingjay Katniss too! *A* I was envious. Particularly because I wanted to make the Mockingjay outfit, and here she was... a week after the book came out! Pic in my gallery, if anyone's interested!
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

Not in the Ohio area, but if you're going to D*C again I'll be there too. We did some reconsidering of our cosplay plans, and I don't think I'll end up making a Katniss costume for myself, but I'll be making her girl-on-fire cape for my sister, who will probably wear it in the parade.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
JadeKat
will take your soul

Too cool~~~~ I'll probably be in the Dr. Who section again next year, but I'd love to see your sister's cape. *A*
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
XxChibiArtistxX
Megaweenie Extraordinaire

I was actually thinking of throwing a Cinna cosplay together I love him so much! I'm waiting until the movie comes out though

Possible 2013 Cosplays
Velvet Squiddleknit Rose LalondeFem!GamzeeGod Tier Roxy LalondeJack Frost

TumblrTwitter
XxChibiArtistxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

I love Cinna! My sister was trying to get me to read the books for several months before I actually did, when I did read them I informed her that if she'd told me one of the characters was an awesome costume designer revolutionary, I'd have read them a lot sooner :-).

For cosplaying purposes, I have a love-hate relationship with movies of books. When it's just a book I can be the costume designer and be as creative as I want. Once there's a movie, there's an "official" version of what the character looks like and I mean, I can ignore that if I want, but most people don't (think Harry Potter costuming, it's almost all movie-based now) and it feels different. Then again, with a movie, there will be more people cosplaying the series which is a good thing ... I am excited for this movie though, and really excited to see what their costumes look like, though I probably won't go with movie-version costuming myself (who knows though, if it looks really awesome ...)
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

I'm A. so psyched to see/possibly make some Hunger Games costumes - the jewelled dress from the first interview! The Mockingjay Uniform! - and B. slightly worried about the movie. On the one hand, I reserve judgement until I've seen it, on the other, it sounds like they're trying to turn it into the next Twilight which is a little bit odd for something that was so heavily anti-fame and anti-star exploitation.

I'm really interested to know how you did the Girl On Fire cape!
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Zukitata
LastSouthDakotaCosplayer?

I think cosplaying Katniss would be fun, she has so many good outfits! but I think they might mess up the movie, if the keep with the too blonde, too white girl I heard they picked. but sounds cool! great books =D
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

I haven't actually made the girl on fire cape yet (did it sound like I had? sorry), just in the planning stages now. A dress I made for class a couple of years ago had a flame effect as part of it (picture here) and I will try to do something similar for the cape (not quite the same though, as the flame on the dress was not supposed to be all that realistic looking).
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Kitsune
Turk in a Skirt

That dress is beautiful, and a great effect to carry over! I hope you share stories as you go, I'm planning to do Katniss for possibly AFO and definitely Dragon*Con. I was torn between her wedding dress and the Mockingjay dress... and decided on both. I'm going to have it in the middle of burning, so half wedding and half Mockingjay. I'm in the middle of shopping for small fans to blow the sheer fabric to make the fire look like it's staying in motion.

I hope to see some Hunger Games costumes at D*C this year! I missed them all last year.
Friday: Scootaloo (MLP:FiM), Darya "Dasha" Alkaev (Orlandia); Saturday: Dasha, Ryoko Mitsurugi; Sunday: Zubat (Pokemon Snap panel), Dasha
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
St. Jimmy

*squee* Awesome, I'm not the only one doing this!

Actually, I need a bit of help. I really want to cosplay as Beetee, but I have no idea where to start. I might just use the outfit all the tributes wore in Catching Fire... but only if I don't get any other ideas. Any suggestions?

Jafax 2012 (several months away and I already have plans :P):
Saturday: Glaceon, Silver (both from Pokemon)
Sunday: dead!Aradia (Homestuck)
St. Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote