Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

Question about inserting link into an ad

I was rereading the rules about posting an ad and it states " Your ad may not be used for the purpose of sending people to another website." I was wondering if this applies to sending them to an etsy site to pay for the item? Since cosplay.com is not responsible for the transactions between buyers and sellers. I thought it might be possible for me to post an ad and at the end of it state something along the lines of "If you're interested in please go to my etsy shop [link] and purchase my "commission" product." If this isn't allowed I 100% understand. Thanks.

Unread 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Etsy counts as an external link.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

I figured it would have just wanted to double check.
Unread 08-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Yeah, unfortunately the only way you can advertise your Etsy site here is by buying ad space. :/

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 08-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

I'd have to see the ad in question (you can PM me the wording) - but the rule is in place because we used to get a lot of drive-by postings in the marketplace, where people would sign up and just post an ad to their eBay listings or similar. Since the ads are not interconnected, we ended up with a ton of ads leading to expired eBay listings, from people who signed into the site a grand total of once.

Something like this doesn't bother me when it comes to regular site users, but unfortunately reverting the rule would open it up to people who would just take advantage of it and dilute the listings again, and probably more-so than before.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I'd have to see the ad in question (you can PM me the wording) - but the rule is in place because we used to get a lot of drive-by postings in the marketplace, where people would sign up and just post an ad to their eBay listings or similar. Since the ads are not interconnected, we ended up with a ton of ads leading to expired eBay listings, from people who signed into the site a grand total of once.

Something like this doesn't bother me when it comes to regular site users, but unfortunately reverting the rule would open it up to people who would just take advantage of it and dilute the listings again, and probably more-so than before.
I sent you a PM, thanks for taking your time into considering my question.
Unread 08-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Hopefully there's a way the rules can be changed to allow links to other sites. But there's always going to be someone who abuses the system.

Unread 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

What I've been thinking about doing is just creating a sub-forum for this type of thing, sort of like an announcements forum where our members can post things like Etsy links, Patreons, etc. These things don't personally bother me, but I just don't want them showing up in the regular forums or marketplace.

I'll think about it more later today and see if I can come up with a quick set of rules to allow for it.
Unread 08-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

I've created a "Personal Projects" sub-forum to post these sorts of things, so we'll see how it goes.