Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Khorrupt

Thoughts on inter-season cosplaying?

Hard to word and hard to pick a board to put this in -- I'm sorry if this isn't the place!

So, I'm a Miss Martian cosplayer, and I do her costume from the first season, not her stealth suit. The thing is, my cosplay partner who does Superboy prefers his costume in the second season. Granted, they're not terribly different, but it is still a factour.

I usually wouldn't care about something such as this, but since (this may or may not be a spoiler, so highlight over it just to be safe :/) Superboy and Miss Martian are a couple, we'll obviously taking a lot of pictures posing together; so would it be strange if you have a season 1 Miss Martian with a season 2 Superboy...? :/
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
uzuki54

I personally wouldn't care if I saw two characters from a series but in different season outfits posing together. It's your cosplay, so pick the outfit that you like. If you're really concerned, come up with a in-character story explaining why you're in one season's outfit while your partner is in another's. Then you have it if anyone asks.

But frankly, if I like the series/character and the outfit is well done, I'd still want a photo even if there's a weird time paradox going on. It just makes it more interesting.

Kita-Kon - Red Mage (FF1) - working on
uzuki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
UrbanVermin

I don't think it'd matter since they're from the same series. I've heard similar concerns from adventure time cosplayers (fionna and cake groups with pb and marceline)
UrbanVermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Akahime
Red Princess

It shouldn't matter. I did an Okuni of Samurai Warriors cosplay from the third game and made an Oichi cosplay from the second game for my friend. And it was all fine and dandy. Haha!
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Anime Expo and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I'm sure most people would not notice. If the detail differences between the costumes from season to season is very small, then it's unlikely that no one will say anything.
For example, I've seen Jack Sparrows walking around with Angelica Teach, but the Jack Sparrow had not yet updated to OST. Of course I noticed, but most other people only see "Jack Sparrow", they don't differentiate between different versions of him (i.e COTBP vs DMC/AWE)
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
pltshp
i did what i have to do

when i cosplayed gary oak's "advanced" season outfit alongside my friend as indigo league ash ketchum, nobody seemed to mind.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
MissLunatic
Someone

I aggree with SweneyTodd. If there are only differences in the details only fans who are greatly into this or other cosplayers of the same characters might notice it.
And even if they notice they'd still want a photo if they like the cosplays and the show.
Actually quite often especially at gatherings of a certain series the versions of cosplays don't happen to fit. But do ppl refrain from taking pictures of the characters together? Not at all. Even if you were 3 ppl and 2 Miss Martians with one Superboy ppl would take pics of you together although it plainly doesn't make sense I think without knowing the series. It doesn't matter since often their love belongs to the characters portraid (and a welldone cosplay at times.)

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Superbi Squalo (KH Reborn!)
Arianne Martell (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Shoryu (Log Horizon)
Sharrkan (Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Rokudo Mukuro (7 Gods of Luck) (KH Reborn!)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, it's not a big deal. People generally don't care. If they notice, they won't even say something except to be pleased to know that they know which outfits the characters are wearing. Really, the small percentage of fans who notice that the characters hanging out together are wearing outfits from different seasons/versions/games/timelines/episodes tends to just be happy to see the characters, period. I have never heard of someone getting so much as a snide remark because they happen to be hanging out with another character from the "wrong season" or "wrong episode" or...anything.

Face it, we tend to know that people have a bajillion reasons to cosplay what they cosplay, when and where and with whom, among which is the perfectly valid reason called "I just wanted to wear this one today." No one is going to critique you for that choice, you'll be lucky if they even realize the difference. Just go with it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
heaven_firings

Maybe I need to redirect my friends to this thread when we get around to our One Piece cosplay. I want to do one of the game designs for Sanji because suit cosplays on me just have no appeal but they want us to be "uniform" and "match" to "make more sense".

But yeah, I say do the one you're comfortable with. If one of you has the outfit done already you shouldn't have to make a completely new one just so you match exactly according to a season.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote