Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

It's something I've actually gotten used to. I pose with people all the time. The only times I have problems with it are the creepers (my friend and I got that A LOT as Panty and Stocking) or if the people start to do something that might damage my costume. I have had a lot of people grab my wings for Stocking, and that's NOT cool. Those things can break, so just don't grab them!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

If I get asked to take a photo with someone, I usually then ask how they want to pose, and offer up some ideas. This way, I can say 'I'm not comfortable with that' if they come up with something crazy (not that it's happened to me!), or I can warn them if a particular part of my costume is easily damaged (which I have done before).

I've found it makes for more fun shots too-- I'll pose like I'm fighting the other person when I'm in my Kyoshi Warrior garb, whereas I might curtsy to the other person when I'm in my Twilight Sparkle ballgown. It's an added chance to be in-character, and people tend to love it!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 5% (Planning) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

I always take pictures with people, it makes the pictures more personal to me and helps me strike up a conversation with someone who's costume I like.

My friend once said though "Why do you always have to take pictures with people? it just annoys them and they think it's weird, I can see it on their faces when you ask" which I personally think is a load of crap, since everyone I've ever asked has been super nice about it.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
ShadowCharizard
Pokétopia Master

I'm no stranger to having pictures taken of me with people. Heck, I've even outright asked people if they wanted to be in the shot with me. Granted, most of the time I'm taking a picture with another cosplayer, but I don't mind whether or not they're dressed up.

...Plus, it kinda makes me feel like I work at Disneyland :3
ShadowCharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

See, I'm one of the people on the other side of the fence. I don't like having the person who wants the photo in the photo with me. It makes me feel like I'm a Disney mascot. It really isn't common at most of the cons I go to, it's so rare that when it does happen it feels weird. More often than not, the person is a) not in costume themselves, and b ) very clearly not used to being at a convention around all these people in costumes. In fact, most of the people who tend to ask to be in photos with me tend to be people who aren't even at the con - civilians, who just happened to see me going to get food or walking to the hotel or something, and are so tickled that they want a photo. They're the kinds of people who never go to cons so they don't know the subculture, they're used to taking photos of costumes at places like Disneyworld, where people in costumes are as much objects to be taken photos WITH rather than OF, much the same as a prop from a movie or a sign they find cute or what have you. I vaguely tolerate it from the mundanes because I know that's what they're used to, I'm a tourist attraction to them. So, when I get it from people at the con, it just feels weird.

I've never denied a person such a photo but I do very much dislike it. I'm used to posing in character, posing to show off the costume and/or the character. It's very hard to do that with some guy in a Batman t-shirt mugging for the camera and making V-signs next to me. And I really don't like people touching me, so if they go for the arm-around I'm right out.

So...yes, people DO find it creepy. But not all people. I just don't understand the point because that's not my goal in costume photography. When I take photos, I want to preserve my memory of that costume. Having me in the shot would ruin it. It's not to say that if you want to be in the photo's that's wrong, but I thought I'd chime in since I do hold a different opinion and I want to let folks know that we do exist.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #21
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I like it when I know the person or when they are from the same series or when they are a younger kid or someone not at the con, but when it's a random person it can be a little strange at times, like someone at a con not in cosplay. My friends and I have had a few problems with creepers before and it always makes me a bit cautious, especially when they try to put their arm around me.
I usually won't say no. But it can make me uncomfortable.

Although once my Gurren Lagann group and I were asked to pose with a bride for a couple photos once, that was cool.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
cowsrcute

Last last last year going to fanime everyone took pictures with the cosplayer. Then last last year and last year at Fanime, no one did from what I noticed. =T I thought it was a change in times. lol I personally like it more when they are in the picture with me since it feels more one on one with them.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
AnimeAndMusical

Hm, perhaps its more common here or it might just be because I hung out mostly with people cosplaying the same fandom (Hetalia); but I have pretty much ONLY seen photos taken that way. At my first (and so far only) con, someone would come up to the big, impromptu gathering of Hetalia cosplayers and ask for a photo, then they would usually join us for a second one and most people stayed to talk/roleplay after that. And in case you are wondering, yes that is how we managed to accidentally start a gathering.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #24
OswaldnOrtensia

In my experience, the bigger a cosplay is the more likely someone will want to take a photo with it. For example, at Dragon*Con last year there were a few life sized Totoros, I'm talking 1 to 1 ratio and it was fantastic. There were lines of people waiting to get their picture with them because for something like that it is far more interesting to be in the moment with the character.

Use your judgement, if the person seems busy just snap a quick shot and be on your way. If they look like they have time to spare, ask if you can get their picture with them. This gives them the opportunity to accept or deny.

On the flip side if someone asks to get there picture with you, be sure YOU are comfortable with it. Don't ever feel pressured into doing something that you do not want to do.

All in all just be respectful and use good judgement, I'm 99% sure everything will go amazingly!
OswaldnOrtensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
Khorrupt

I don't think it's creepy at all. I've never been asked for someone to take a picture with me, but on the other hand, I've been the one asking! In the end, the worst the person can do is say no, but I think the chances of someone refusing a picture, unless they're busy or something, are low.
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #26
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I don't mind if people want to take pics with me, I feel like it is an opportunity to interact with people as your character and that can be a lot of fun!
When I do Sweeney I usually would hold my razor near their throat or point it at them, and as Jack, I either do something like this-ish or like this where I give the person one of my props to hold and pose with them

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
Touya no miko
TnM

I don't mind at all! It's pretty flattering to tell you the truth, especially if it's another cosplayer who wants to take a picture with you. The only way I would find it creepy, is if they decided to get too close into my personal bubble. Or if they request for me to do a provocative pose with them. That would be a no bueno.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I certainly wouldn't mind. I do it sometimes when we're cosplaying the same series or if it makes a great pun.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
pinkkiller

Picking up on what CapsuleCorp said, I think asking to take pictures with a cosplayer is simply indulging the play side more than the cos side. When a friend and I cosplayed as Harry & Draco most people who took pictures wanted to be in them - I figured it's because of the whole "Look who I met!" aspect and since the costume were not that detailed or fancy it didn't really matter. So it's more an appreciation of the character than the costume, which is perfectly fine! We all love to see our favourite characters come to life and even interact with us and as cosplayers we all love to make people believe in us being the characters (to a certain extent of course, but that's a different topic, haha).

Though if someone is simply impressed by the costume and less in fangirl-squee-mode (don't mean that in a negative way, just an example), I'd rather advise them to take a shot without themselves in the frame. Having a regular person/costume from a different series in the same shot can be distracting if you want to capture how gorgeous the costume is.

And at the end of the day there's no reason not to do both if the cosplayer has time! A quick fangirl shot and a nice costume shot

Last edited by pinkkiller : 02-01-2013 at 02:57 PM.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #30
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

That's a good way of putting it, pinkkiller. I hadn't thought of it like that. I'm someone who doesn't act or pretend at all, I don't do anything in-character (posing for photos notwithstanding), so it weirds me out when people treat me like I am and want a picture with me as if I really am Portgas D. Ace or something. Maybe that's where the creep-factor comes in.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote