Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #46
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

I don't mind it at all. I just go with the flow and see where it goes. Sometimes, something interesting comes of it like a group of guys who got a badge, since they're in the area apparently, wanted a photo with me after seeing how big my wings are. They laid on the floor with my wings fully open and made it look like a scene of me annihilating them like in those final fantasy games.

Though, there are of course limitations.

However, I do tend to ask to have a picture with other fellow winged cosplayers.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?

Last edited by DarkCloudInc : 02-06-2013 at 03:22 AM.
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #47
Rhapsodey
WhatisthisIdon'teven...

I've gotten asked to have pictures taken with me more than just single pictures at some cons. xD" I don't mind at all though. I take it as just of much as a complement as just a picture of my cosplay. c: I've asked a couple times for a picture together ever, either for the photo ops or just because I really like the cosplay.
ECC 2015
Sakura Con 2015

WIP Costumes -
Gijinka Fennekin - 95%
Rhyme - TWEWY - 75%
Mami Tomoe - Madoka Magica - 5%
Everfree Surprise! - 1%

My dA
My Facebook page
Rhapsodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #48
keimi

I love taking pictures with people! I don't mind at all when people ask me for a picture with them. In fact, I ask other people for pictures with them too! It's always fun to get a picture with a character you like or someone with an awesome cosplay. I see nothing wrong with it
keimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

I usually don't because I usually don't have a cameraman to help.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #50
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyditch View Post
Shall I revise my statement? How about this.
I would not pass up the opportunity to get a picture with someone in a really convincing cosplay of one of my favorite characters.
That's good. Because that's your personal preference. My personal preference is to not be in the photo of the character I like.

I only emphasize my point because there is a lot of recent interest in "acting" like the character. I fully understand the suspension of disbelief, I know what it is and what it's for. It's for watching movies and TV shows. I don't personally enjoy it when people pretend to be the character while in cosplay at a convention, because that's not my thing. So, the only reason I'm really pointing it out is because it isn't a universal trait, wanting people to be IC. It's only one of many possibilities.

The only reason it matters, I suppose, is when people like me who don't act/perform IC run into people who seem to think we automatically will be "the character." The vast majority understand and are polite about it, but there's always that tiny fraction of congoers who either are new to the whole cosplay thing and don't realize that we don't all RP/LARP, or might have some problems with reality. It's a very tiny fraction, yes, but it does exist. I used to run into them a lot at Dragon*Con, it was frustrating. Small children excepted, of course! Little kids who want me to really be Yugi are cute, but they tend to catch on pretty quick when they hear my voice.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #51
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

@CapsuleCorp: Yeah, the whole thing about being IC or OOC, it seems obvious to me at least that most people are OOC. I'm sure there are those who are in some state of mind though that they can have a hard time separating reality from fiction. I'd say for me it's more like getting a picture with Goofy at Disney Land. He doesn't really act, doesn't talk like Goofy or anything, and we run up for the picture and then he's on his way. I know he's not the real Goofy, but I'm still excited to be in a picture with" Goofy." I guess you could call it joyful to the inner kid in me. ^_^

I can see your point of view though. I find that often if people aren't used to playing the character and are put on the spot to do/say something IC, it always turns out awkward. I've been there. It's just a passing moment and I don't let it get to me or anything, though perhaps think up an answer for next time. It does make that moment of awkwardness though.

Au contraire to my usual though, if I follow through with my Discord cosplay, I'm definitely gonna give it a try being prepared to be IC on a whim. It'll take a whole extra factor of studying the character, but I feel like I can't let Discord, the Spirit of Chaos, not have anything chaotic to say or act. Of course, as usual, respect towards privacy of others and towards staff first and foremost.

Now for my that instance, I'd personally be thrilled to have people in the picture with me.

Last edited by nyditch : 02-06-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spam spam spam spam beans spam pork
nyditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #52
Poody
All Rise!

I think it's normal. I just don't like when.... well... people HAVE to touch you. Sometimes it's fine, but lets face it.... If it's at a con... a lot of people are sweaty.... and smelly..... -___-

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #53
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

It is much more fun for you to be asked for a picture rather then asking someone else for it. However if I find someone who has a cosplay of a character from my series I find those photo ops too good to pass up.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #54
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I personally like taking pics with other people, it can set the cosplayer up for some interesting and more interactive kind of posing. Sometimes I give one of my props to the person who is taking the picture with me so that they can pose with me. Other times I just pose next to the people, it depends on how tired/lazy I am when the people ask for pictures lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote