Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Baron Malleus

What is your most structurally challenging cosplay?

As the title says: What is your most structurally challenging costume build? Also how did you / how are you going to handle it?

I am planning a Spiderant King. The obvious problem here is that it is a quadruped with joints moving in non human directions.

My plan is to use the bulky legs to hide a system of metal framework to allow me to pilot the costume without having to crab walk all day. However, this costume is going to be a massively expensive build for that reason, thus it is a very slow work in progress.
Costumes completed: Kenpachi Zaraki, Elanor Lamb,

In progress: Big Sister, Spiderant King (planning stages)
Baron Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

This probably isn't what you were looking for, but I think it's worth mentioning the infamous Gary Oak wig: Never seen anyone get it quite right. It's just so..out there, especially with the forward-pointing spikes pretty much running from the front and down the back of his head. I think the anterior-most ones throw people off. The front spikes are just soo big, too. You lose a lot of body making them. Final product looks awkward imo.

I'd like to do him one day, but I'd probably go with the design for Green (recently re-dubbed Blue..?) from the Pokemon Special Adventures manga because I think his dew is a little more realistic: More of a general spikey-pompadour look, and less of a "you need this many over-the-top huge spikes" type deal. Just my opinion tho.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 01-31-2013 at 10:57 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Also in the range of "probaby not what you were looking for" but is structurally challenging in its own way... My Hachi-Hachi Len cosplay. When I saw the PV for that Vocaloid video, I told myself I would cosplay Len one day. Len just so happens to be either a kagema or impersonating an oiran. Whatever the case, I wanted to do it just right - as in hisotircally accurate.

... It probably would've been easier to go the not accurate right, but I'm not that type of person. Kimono culture, especially regarding female kimono, has all sorts of rules and regulations. When one is dressing as a geisha or oiran, there's even more. The whole point of kimono, regardless of gender, is to have a tube like shape. This greatly restricts what you can do and makes it pretty difficult to move as freely as one would in Western clothes (which is why the Japanese moved on to Western clothes). To achieve the tube shape requires some padding, depending on body shape. Then there are layers. Oiran are notorious for having many layers - or at least pretending to - of screaming, vibrant colors of kimono, most of which included padded hems for kimono that trailed on the floor. Then there's the crazy obi knots, the crazy wig styling... the process of putting all of this on correctly too is arduous and many times when I'm dressing in yukata I've had to start over many times to get it just right.

... Again, to do this oiran cosplay completely to historical standards is really damn challenging structurally. And did I mention heavy? This ensemble's going to have a surprising amount of weight to it...
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

It's somewhere in the ball park of what you're talking about, but it designing custom wings for my take on VN02 Miku Hatsune but as Kaito. The wings are at a point where it's structurally sound as well as very durable, but it's the skin of the wings that is what's going to be the trickiest as it'll be purely done as an inspirational design. I won't have any references but it's making a costume that is still recognizable as part of the series but of my design that's incredibly tricky.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Khorrupt

I think this one's fairly close as well: Slade from Teen Titans. He's got a ton of armour, and so I'm going to do the papercraft method, and then papier mache the underside of the pieces, since there's SO much armour. I might use a layer of the cooked kind of a papier mache and then use a layer of the glue kind, since I'm surprised at how strong the glue kind is -- I used it for my Slade mask just because I didn't want to have to bother with cooking the other kind, but duuuude. It actually gets really hard.
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
OswaldnOrtensia

Current working on Aku and Ikra from Samurai Jack. We made 1ft stilts for Aku but he's having a hard time standing still so we are trying to think of something he can lean on besides me. In addition we want to try and do extended hands (like this) so we are experimenting with what we want the backbone of hand to be.
As for Ikra and Aku deciding how we are going to do the flares at the bottom of the costumes. We are thinking 14 -16 gauge wire.

Nothing too hard but doing these things for the first time is a little bit daunting!
OswaldnOrtensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

The cosplay I'm working on right now, Seymour from FFX. I've had to build the wig frame, now in the process of attaching wefts to it. Also, I've needed to make the large robe and airbrush the design on it. The Obi is huge and I need to finish putting the design to it.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Curucar

Papillon. Not a giant outfit or anything, but trying to make spandex (and anything attached to it) structurally stable while remaining super form fitting was a battle against physics.