Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
darkchurchhill

What to do if ur super unphotogenic

hi i'm new to cosplay.com, but i have a question on photos u take at cons and such...
First off, I've been cosplaying for the last few years i've done kagamine rin, decus from tales of symphonia 2, mukuro from reborn, lightening from final fantasy; however, i barely have a single photo of me in full cosplay... only ones from webcams when i'm still dressing up... and that really makes me sad that i don't get to keep a picture of something i put so much effort in especially so much of my props end up getting destroyed at the cons... Its not that i'm camera shy it's just that that every time when i take a photo w/out being able to see my self through a screen like in purikura or webcam.... my face derps out really bad..... even when i'm not posing or conscious of the photo... maybe someone at the cons i go have a better picture they took of me but as for now the only photos i possess are all trash.... i know this is kinda a hopeless situation but does anyone have any tips to counter this....
darkchurchhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'd say practice. Make your 'picture' face without a mirror, then glance to the mirror to see how it looks. Generally speaking, natural expressions are better, but if your face derps to serious degrees, you might want to try it.

Put your makeup on before you try it. Not sure about anyone else, but my face always feels weird when it has makeup on it and that definitely shows in my expression.

A lot of times, whether they acknowledge it or not, people are their own harshest judges. This counts threefold for things set in stone, like pictures taken at conventions. That's the case for everyone I know, and I'm no exception. I'm sure that your pictures aren't too terrible.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Libis

Practice a lot in the mirror. Then keep practicing with the laptop. Then start practicing with a friend with a camera and have them coach you. Don't tense up, and if you're going to smile don't force it--get your friend to actually say something funny and focus on how that feels. Then try to replicate that feeling.

I've had to work more and more on how I take photos, after having very few good photos of my first cosplay.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I'm not that photogenic...but I work on that my just practicing in the mirror, know what angles make you look best. Look at other photos of cosplayers and even models and imitate them. Sometimes working with a photographer can help too. They can also help you find your angles. Also different makeup tricks can help to.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Lycorisa

This sounds silly but I practice posing infront of a mirror a lot LOL. It really helps! I'm not photogenic at all, so I have to learn which angles I look best at and avoid the ones that I look bad in. Also lighting is so important. Maybe it's the lighting (over exposed or too dark) or the angle^^! And certain wig style can shape your face differently.
You can try different make-up style and such^^ and like someone said above, "people are their own harshest judges." Don't be too hard on yourself I'm sure you look great!
Lycorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

My face is always incredibly derpy when I get photos taken, probably because I hate them. I need to practice for quite awhile to take a decent photo. Just practice your face in the mirror, then practice taking pictures, no matter how many you have to take. Look at each one and decide what you'd like to change, then try again.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

As everyone else has been saying, I practice in front of the mirror.
I tend to have a harsh look on my face, even if I'm happy as could be haha.
(And any "intense" stares I try to give comes off as looking pissed off)
But practice makes perfect. =) I do a whole lot of it before I attend a con.
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I'm unphotogentic as well. My non cosplay photos look horrible, I can't smile at all >.>

You just gotta keep trying. If the mirror doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me because I only have my bathroom mirror) then try using your webcam. Don't think you look stupid for taking a bunch of webcam photos of yourself in cosplay. gotta practice some how.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I'm not really photogenic either.. I tend to look derp on most photos and especially random con photos. What I've noticed that helps is practicing in front of a mirror or by using your webcam and such. Don't be afraid to exaggerate expressions and try many different poses, you will surely find something that looks good. Also learn/find what angles work best for you. You can also look at cosplay photos of others and study their expressions, body language and stuff and try to work with them and adjust them until they look right on you. Also make-up does wonders. If you have a good photographer it goes a long way too.

Oh, and confidence. Pose like you mean it, take on the role/feeling/situation for real. It makes a world of difference.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Definitely agree with all the advice you're getting. Practicing in front of a mirror helps a lot.

I am also super unphotogenic, but what I do is my best friend and I go on cosplay photo shoots all the time, and we'll take pictures of each other to see what poses work and don't work for photos at con. Surprisingly, this worked really well. If you look at the picture right after it's taken, you remember how you posed, and if it turned out well, then there you have it. XD

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Ithlia
Row row fight the powa

You really need to practice honestly. Put your cosplay on and stand in front of a full-length mirror. Practice poses that you feel the character would do, or poses the character actually does, and remember them. The angles will be different at cons depending on the person taking the photo, but practicing really does help. I would also recommend practicing your facial expressions. Match the character as best you can.

I would also recommend make-up if you don't wear it already. In photos, especially at cons, the lighting can make your face look all derpy, I know mine definitely did in the past haha. I wear make-up with all of my cosplays now because it helps make your face pop.

However, if you don't want to wear make-up that's perfectly ok! Just mastering the poses will really benefit you. Don't think too hard about worrying what you look like through the lens. As long as you know the pose and do it, you should look fine. If a person is at an odd angle, that can't be helped all of the time.

I would also recommend having a friend take some pictures of you as you become more comfortable with the poses. That way you can see how the pose translates to a camera. Of course, all photos will be different based on the camera being used, where you are at, how many people are taking your picture at once (this can effect the angle the picture is taken at), how experienced the photographer is (i.e con-goer vs. professional), etc... Just be confident in yourself and you will look great

Cosplay Plans:
-Mako (Kill la Kill)
-Popstar Ahri (League of Legends)
-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 5)
-Poison (Final Fight)

My Facebook Page:Facebook.com/IthliaOfficial
My DeviantArt:DeviantArt
My Tumblr:Tumblr
Ithlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
TheCosplayFox

all you can really do is practice. Maybe go out and have a fun photoshoot with some friends.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Add me to the list of people who look crappy in photographs. I don't think there's even been a decent out-of-cosplay picture of me in all my 25 years. And yet somehow my cosplay pictures tend to turn out alright. Part of it is because I practice and ask for opinions or help before conventions, but besides that it's also because I am able to get into my character. When I'm in cosplay I'm not myself but rather the character I'm cosplaying as. As strange as that may sound I think it's because that I'm not "myself" that the pictures usually turn out better than when I am "myself". It's the acting side of it.

Though I'll admit that one thing I hate-- and there isn't much I can do about it-- is my eyes. I'm Italian and like most Italians the area around my eyes is dark. In well-lit rooms you don't really notice it, but in the crappy lighting that conventions tend to have my eyes look all dark and sunken-in like I'm sick or on drugs. It's not very flattering.
I suppose I should try putting a little makeup on to try to fade them...

Last edited by Blue Leader : 12-11-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
darkchurchhill

thanks i guess i have no choice but to keep practicing
darkchurchhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

You have my sympathy. I have a terrible time getting great pics. I am also unphotogenic.
I'm fat, I squint because of an accident that smashed my skull on one side, and I too look, as you say "derpy". ^_^;

I've always had terrible pictures until late. My new not so secret weapon is having made friends with some amazing photographers. It's great to have someone help you pose, or in my case let me know when I'm squinting, (I can't feel I'm doing it). It's very nice to have a helping hand.

I'm a good costumer, but terrible photography subject.

I agree with those who recommended practicing, that is awesome, but making friends with some photographers, or finding one you can hire, might be very helpful too.

Good luck!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote