Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
BloodOfAutumn
Aristo Mercu

How to create believable stubble?

Not sure if this is the right thread, since there is "wigs and hair", but...
MEH.
So i 'm going to be cosplaying a male character with stubble, however i am female with not a hint of hair on the bottom of her face. I would like to know if anyone has ever created artificial stubble before?
My friend said he just glued short strands of fiber onto his face with spirit gum, however i was hoping for a technique that could hopefully make something that can be used more than once.
Perhaps glue them onto tulle/transparent fabric, and then spirit-gumming it to my face?
Any advice/techniques would be welcome!
BloodOfAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I don't know what character you are cosplaying as or how much stubble he has but this tutorial is pretty decent and can be done with makeup very cheaply and multiple times as opposed to spirit gum + fiber.
http://youtu.be/iDzzQduDhZg

...and if that is not the look you are going for, just google or search youtube for other drag king makeup tutorials as some of them use those techniques day in and day out.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
BloodOfAutumn
Aristo Mercu

The character is Fili from The Hobbit, http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...urney-Fili.jpg

The video is very enlightening, thanks! However i do have rather sensitive skin, and i don't know how it would react to grease paint >_< i 'll try it out though.
BloodOfAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I linked the tutorial more for the technique than anything. It would work with brown cream eyeliner or obviously any cream makeup. Whatever you buy, you just need to be able to fit a stippling brush or sponge in, that's all.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

you could make a lasting piece with a lace netting base but its going to require more makeup and work in the long run as you will have to cover more area and fill in on the netting where the hair isnt...... spirit gum and crepe wool will still look the best
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Minutes2Meteora
misha's minion

Hey! I just cosplayed Moriarty this summer and researched stubble for weeks before hand. After doing tons of makeup tests, I came to the conclusion that less is more. If you don't need a longer beard, I would say definitely go with simple eyeshadow techniques.

Apply your usual foundation and contouring, since with a female face it's going to take a lot to give you the right shape.

I used a stipple sponge (if these aren't available to you, use a toothbrush with an elongated applicator. the least round one you can find)! and apply the desired colour stubble. Make sure the eyeshadow is matte and quality. You don't want the dots to blend together. Go darkest around your jawline and mouth.

(If this isn't dark enough, wipe the eyeshadow off and try a layering technique. Use your contouring brush and, with an eyeshadow a few shades lighter than the desired result, apply a light coat on the desired area. This gives the space not actively covered by eyeshadow a five o' clock shadow look. Then reapply the stubble over top.This is for fuller/darker beards.)

Why eyeshadow over a creme? It smeared less. And since it's going to be on your face, that's a huge factor.

It's really simple and since Kili doesn't actually have a full beard, may look more accurate than gluing pieces on. Hope this helped! xx
Otakon 2014

Last edited by Minutes2Meteora : 02-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Minutes2Meteora is offline   Reply With Quote