Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
color
Phantom Detective

No shirt policy?

Anyone know what the policy is at Katsucon for cosplaying without a shirt for guys?

Was thinking of doing the Demi Fiend from Nocturne.

Thanks!

Unread 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
ThatDragonGal
Sorry for party rockin'.

If their police is the same as last year, you cannot show your nipples. My friend had to pin his Ichigo coat closed because it would open when he walked. I recommend e-mailing a Katsucon staffer or checking Katsu's website to be safe.

This might help: http://www.katsucon.org/faqs/
(Maybe try "attendee policies")

Like I said, if you can't find it on the site, the staffers have no problem answer any e-mail questions you have.

Hope that helped!
ThatDragonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
KaiXDarktongue
the reaver

If it is the same as last year you can go without a shirt but you just have to cover your nips with a bandage or something like that.
KaiXDarktongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
t00tsypop

Even with covering just the nipples last year my friend (who cosplayed gray from fairy tail) was sill getting harassed and was told to go put on a shirt
- friday; archer from Dragons crown
- saturday; escha from atelier escha and logy

facebook
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Some friendly advice: Even if you are going to shirtless at the con, you may want to carry a jacket or warm cover-up anyway. It gets cold outside in National Harbor and sometimes inside the hotel. (That's a big space to heat.)

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
KaiXDarktongue
the reaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00tsypop View Post
Even with covering just the nipples last year my friend (who cosplayed gray from fairy tail) was sill getting harassed and was told to go put on a shirt
Was he the Grey that didn't have the bandages on his chest and shoulder? Two of my friends did Grey with the bandages and to my knowledge they weren't harrassed.
KaiXDarktongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
LaReineRousse

I second everything that's been said. One of my friends was walking around in a Zabuza cosplay (which for him involved not wearing a shirt). He was told that he would have to cover up his nips and so went back to the room and wrapped some bandages around his torso. To my knowledge he was not harassed after he did this.

Otakon '14
AUSA '14

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:

Simca from Air Gear {FINISHED}
Izumo from Ao no Exorcist {99% Complete}
Sayaka from AKB0048 {95% Complete}
Tamao from Strawberry Panic {95% Complete}
Gun Lolita {75% Complete}
Ninjette from Empowered {5% Complete}
LaReineRousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Its the hotels policy that attendees have to cover their nipples, while Katsucon rules are just "has to cover what a respectable bathing suit would." The rule stems from the convention being held at a high end resort, where other more reserved gatherings and guests may be. So unless your around the pool area, nipples have to be covered.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
nachtinis
GIVE ME BACK MY FACE

The official policy is a policy handed down from the resort, the origin of it is part of the hotel's "no shoes, no shirt" type of policy, part of that policy was made explicitly written during a winter swimwear event that had occured at the resort.

The basic rule is that nipple showing is considered no shirt and no shirt violates the policy.

This rul has ACTUALLY been in effect since the hotel was built but was not something that came under scrutiny until recently.

The rule also covers the exposure of bare buttocks in a thong as well, so wear tights or yoga pants if you plan to wear a thong backed outfit.

The decision by the convention to uphold hotel policies is something that has always happened since day one of just about every convention, ever...

This is not a new thing, yes every year someone brings it up and acts like it is.

Its the rules, and not much can change about them...
nachtinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

http://www.katsucon.org/news/katsucon-dress-code/

Bad news guys >.>;
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
AlanaOwlet

I've been trying to figure out the wording of the dress code they have listed there for like 10 minutes now. When they say shirt coverings, would something that covers a bathing suit amount count, or do they mean an actual shirt in addition to that?
Deviantart

Katsucon 2014
Klan Klang - Macross Frontier
Misty (Goldeen outfit) - Pokemon
Genderswapped Cecil - Welcome to Night Vale
Clefairy Gijinka - Pokemon
Harvest Goddess - Harvest Moon
AlanaOwlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
NatureMade
Entity of Insanity

I think the honest best bet to go with is, wear the costume as it's intended to be worn.
IF they give you grief over it, change. Put on wrappings, throw on a T-shirt or just change costumes all together. If a staffer calls you out and you KNOW you are within the reasonable coverage rule, ask them to call someone higher up. If the ruling is still a solid "no", then don't fight it further, cause then there will be problems.
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
AlanaOwlet

"But I'm just walking over to the swimming pool in this skimpy top! ... and brightly colored anime wig..." Thanks though, seriously, I was like the more I read this the more I confuse myself, I just need a fresh set of eyes on this thing.
Deviantart

Katsucon 2014
Klan Klang - Macross Frontier
Misty (Goldeen outfit) - Pokemon
Genderswapped Cecil - Welcome to Night Vale
Clefairy Gijinka - Pokemon
Harvest Goddess - Harvest Moon
AlanaOwlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
ThatDragonGal
Sorry for party rockin'.

Dress Code

While Katsucon does not have a dress code of our own, we strongly support the wishes of our fine hosting facility, the Gaylord National. The Gaylord does have some things we’ll need to bear in mind:

All Attendees must have their private areas covered at all times.

Material must extend at least one (1) inch above the nipple and below/to the sides of the breast, and at least one (1) inch above the pubic area and below the crotch/buttocks.
This coverage must remain in place while moving/bending/posing/etc., so if your cosplay (or street clothes) rides up/down, please extend it, find a way to secure it, or wear something under it.

Shirt coverings must be worn at all times, by both sexes.

Mesh shirts are allowed if they provide the require coverage of sensitive areas.

Tape over the nipples will not suffice.

Capes will not be accepted in place of shirts – if you’re wearing one, please wear a shirt underneath.

Went ahead and copied and pasted from their dress code.
ThatDragonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
penguinsama

I think that means you have to have inch around the nipple area (top, bottom, and both sides).

You must also have 1 inch above the pubic area and below the butt. So the pants have to be an inch north of the pubic area and the back has to be an inch south of the butt.
penguinsama is offline   Reply With Quote