Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
DevilsCherry
Belladonna

Gigantic prop help?

Stupid title.

I'm trying to make this thing. cause in all honesty I really don't know what it is. (some sort of Mace?)
but it's my first time making a Weapon prop, So I'm not quite sure what I'm doing or which way is the best way to make it. I'm leaning towards styrene, but I'm not sure.
any help is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: any answer seriously, my mom wants to use foam and duckt-tape :I

Last edited by DevilsCherry : 02-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
DevilsCherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

In the realm of anime props, this is hardly gigantic

I'd go with pink insulation foam from the hardware store. You glue together layers to get the right thickness. Make a very rough shape in two halves, and then scoop out the center such that the cavity just fits a cheap baseball bat. If it's wood (which would be best) soak the bat in water for a minute or two. Then coat the whole bat in a thin layer of Gorilla glue, set the bat in the foam, and glue the two layers together. Wrap the thing up in rope, strapping, medical bandage, or even blue painters tape as the glue cures.

Once the glue has set, carve it down to that hexagonal shape. (is that a hexagon? I can't tell, whatever it is). If you don't know how to get flat planes and proper angles, you might want to read up on woodworking a bit. the techniques are similar, but the cutting is much easier.

The circles can probably be made using something from the wood crafting section of the craft store. It'd just be a pain to have to carve them all out.

Coat the whole thing (except the handle) in paper mache Heavy paper, like the stuff for grocery bags is strongest. Once dry, mix up a slurry of paper clay mixed with a bit of water and brush it on. This helps to hide the seam lines where the pieces of paper overlap.

Once dry, sand the surface smooth (wear a dust mask) up to 220 grit. It probably actually makes more sense to glue on the circles at this point.

Prime it, paint it brown, dry-brush the circles with a light brown for highlights, wrap the handle in white athletic tape. Done!
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

Are the circles raised bumps, or recesses? I can't tell. If they are recesses, you might have luck carving them out using a tool like the one the Mythbusters used in their "golf ball car" episode. I can't really describe it but I'm sure you could find the episode on Youtube or something.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
DevilsCherry
Belladonna

@ Verdatum The prop is almost the size of me so I don't think exaggerating would do much harm as this is the first weapon prop I'll be making
also yes it's a hexagon.
and thank you.

@nathancarter I know which episode you're talking about, but they're not divots they're bumps so I don't think that tool would do me much good. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by DevilsCherry : 02-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
DevilsCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

id use halves of styrofoam balls for the bumps
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote