Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Setting Spray vs. Water when applying Kryolan

I'm going to be cosplaying as Gaila from Star Trek, which means I will be painting my face, neck, lower arms and parts of my legs green. For the everything but the face, I plan on mixing PAX. On my face, I'm going to be using Kryolan Aquacolor, specifically 511. On to my question, though!

In all my research on face/body color, which has been a lot, I seem to remember someone suggesting that instead of activating with water, that you activate the Aquacolor using the setting liquid instead? And then spray some on after you apply any extra highlights/contouring/eyeshadow. Now, I can't remember for the life of me where I read that anymore, but am curious to see if there are other opinions about using this method?

Also, if I am using Kryolan paints, should I use Kryolan setting spray, or is there another brand that is better for sealing, be it Ben Nye or otherwise? And I'm open to any other suggestions that you might have. Thanks!

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

you wouldnt mix with the setting spray but a product called liquid set (this is ben nye's brand name). i personally havent seen a difference between using both liquid set to apply then settin on top, and using water and setting it. its a minimal difference but its soooo not worth the added price
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Yeah! setting liquid is pretty much what I meant. But alright, thank you! If it doesn't really matter, then I'll just go the cheaper route.

Is there a preferred setting spray that I should get? Where I'm buying my supplies pretty much has all brands available.

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Skindinavia! But really any of the theatrical brands have a good and very similar setting spray.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote