Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Ashlen Rose

Exclamation Dyeing Fabric?

So I found a pair of pants that would be PERFECT for my cosplay I am doing. They are the right color just the wrong shade. I need them to be darker. How would I go about making them darker?

I was thinking of just adding black dye in diluted water but i don't want them to come out all black. Is it even possible to darken the pants?

They are not jeans, they are a stretchy fabric like for leggings but have a sheen to them.
Ashlen Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
PurpleLeafX3

What color are they?
Next: Annie Leonhardt \ Shingeki No Kyojin \ Annie and Mikasa pair
Next: Eru Chitanda \ Hyouka \ Solo [date unknown]
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Ashlen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLeafX3 View Post
What color are they?
Sorry that might help huh?! They are like an evergreen forest green maybe a little lighter and i need them to look almost black but still have a green tint to them.
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Depends on the fiber content of the pants. Different types of fibers take to different dyes. And if your pants have a mixed fiber content (which it sounds like they do), then the dye will take a little differently to each type of fiber.
  • Procion dyes are for cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon)
  • Acid dyes are for protein fibers (wool, silk), and apparently nylon takes it too
  • iDye Poly for polyester

You could overdye the pants, just match the type of dye to the fiber content as best you can. Black would work, but you might want to dilute it a little or use dark grey instead if you still want the green to show through...Or, you could add a little green into your dye mixture.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
peahat

I hope it's okay if I piggyback on this thread!

What sort of dye do I use if my fabric has both cotton and nylon? I've got a white cotton sateen (99% cotton 1% nylon) that I'd like to dye turquoise.
peahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by peahat View Post
What sort of dye do I use if my fabric has both cotton and nylon? I've got a white cotton sateen (99% cotton 1% nylon) that I'd like to dye turquoise.
Just use a dye for cellulose fabrics. The nylon is almost negligible at that point, when the fiber content is 99% cotton.

I've never dyed nylon myself, so I can't speak from personal experience as to whether procion dyes will take to it. But, it might. Even if it doesn't, though, it won't really be that noticeable because the dye WILL take to the cotton.

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Just to the curiosity point: nylon is typically dyed via acid dyes, so it may or may not take with a standard soda-ash bath for cellulose -- and if it does, will probably take less deeply. As noted, 1% is not significant and shouldn't really make a difference in your finished product; this comment's just to address the hypothetical. (Nylon's surface-treated a great deal of the time, so it doesn't like to take up dyes, but untreated nylon dyes beautifully. I'm pretty sure I've had it tint when I was dyeing cottons and had a scrap in the bath.) /tangent
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Ashlen Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Depends on the fiber content of the pants. Different types of fibers take to different dyes. And if your pants have a mixed fiber content (which it sounds like they do), then the dye will take a little differently to each type of fiber.
  • Procion dyes are for cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon)
  • Acid dyes are for protein fibers (wool, silk), and apparently nylon takes it too
  • iDye Poly for polyester

You could overdye the pants, just match the type of dye to the fiber content as best you can. Black would work, but you might want to dilute it a little or use dark grey instead if you still want the green to show through...Or, you could add a little green into your dye mixture.
Wow you really know your stuff!! Thanks a lot, I will look at the makeup of the pants and if it doesn't seem like I will be able to darken it properly I will just stop being lazy and make the pants :P!
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
peahat

Hey guys, thank you for the answer! Another question has occurred to me, though.

Will dying my cotton sateen (again, 99% cotton 1% nylon) affect its luster? Or is it shiny because of that 1% nylon? I chose this material because I wanted something with a bit of sheen, so I'm hoping it retains its luster.

Thank you!
peahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by peahat View Post
Will dying my cotton sateen (again, 99% cotton 1% nylon) affect its luster? Or is it shiny because of that 1% nylon? I chose this material because I wanted something with a bit of sheen, so I'm hoping it retains its luster.
I've dyed 100% cotton sateen before, and it looks exactly the same after dyeing with procion dye, soda ash, and non-iodized salt. (Again, can't personally vouch for the nylon part since I've never worked with blended sateen or nylon...)

I dyed the grey-blue sateen for my Joshua shirt (The World Ends With You), if you want to see an example of dyed 100% cotton sateen:
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/147558/
(I started with the white quilting-weight sateen sold at Joann.)