Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

pattern to use for Kanon school uniform?

Reference at the bottom..

So I need to make the school uniform from the anime Kanon. I know what material to use for the red part, but not the white part. Any ideas on that one?

Also I need a good pattern that would work..I'd assume a button down dress pattern would work but I want to be sure before buying anything. Any ideas there too?
Thanks

http://socialcos.com/albums/photo/vi...photo_id/39152
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Bias tape for the trim, white interfaced fabric for the cuffs.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I would use a Red cotton or suiting material and a matching white one and white bias tape. I think a button up shirt pattern or a button down dress pattern would work. (:
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea suiting material was what I was already thinking for the red..So just get white in the same material then? That works..Really I just more needed a pattern..Idk what kind of pattern it would be called though, like what the actual garment is called..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Penlowe

Well it's princess seamed dress with a flared skirt. Simplicity has some old school cheerleading uniforms still in their catalog that have this same line and they are designed for non-stretch fabrics. The major alteration would be switching it to a front opening & buttons instead of the back zipper it comes with.
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ah that helps. Thanks. I will look for those and see what I can do.

EDIT:
So, are you talking about something like this?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/45393889...leader-pattern
That's the only one I can find with sleeves..Unless I'm blind lol Which....Wouldn't surprise me....lol
Anyway, this looks like it, but I was wondering..It has a collar....Yet a collar that has no seam..I don't know how to alter this pattern to do that..I think I might be able to figure it out though..I think I have to so it where it's like this (but more accurate to a pattern then a crappy drawing lol):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps8a0d2b81.jpg
In case some don't know, this is a pattern where it wraps around..Like is you took a sleeveless shirt, then took out the shoulder seams, and cut up the front center, it would look something like this (but without the flair at the bottom). Then on this the seam on the shoulder would also go up the sides of the collar..Best thing i can think of..But I can't figure out that bottom part..Where it pleats kinda funny like..I don't know how to do that if I use this pattern..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 02-04-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

HA! I found this..
http://www.cospa.com/images/items/pc/9846.jpg
If anyone else can think of a pattern, this is what I need the red part to look like.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Back again on this. I am going to buy materials in the next month or so, since I finally FINALLY found a wig that should work without dying it..

First. my picture in the first post no longer works, so it's now here:
https://animeafterglow.files.wordpre...0/kanon_06.jpg

Anyway, I pretty much can do this, but mentioned in earlier posts, was that this has princess seams..I don't see them on it, but I assume that's what I have to do to get it be fitted like that..Would that be right?

The other main problem I still have is the pleats..Is that physically possible with one piece? there are 2 in the front, and 3 in the back..Meaning I can have a side seam and not have to worry about having a pleat going over it..I just wasn't sure how possible that would be on one solid piece. I assume I would have to sew in the pleats like cutting out the triangle in the front and sewing a bigger one in in a way that creates a pleat..Just didn't want to if I didn't have to..lol

Anyway, sorry to revive my own old as hell thread, but now that I'm getting to it I guess making a new one is just silly..lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I can see how one might interpret princess seams in that costume. Those gore pleats in the front of the skirt line up with where princess seams would be. How those pleats are drawn kind of implies the presence of seams there.

When making a really fitted garment like this, the more seams you have, the easier it is to fit it well and then sew all the pieces together. Fitting a garment means eliminating the excess ease so that it hugs the body. If you only have, say, a center back seam, then you have to take ALL of that ease out at that one place (the excess measurement divided by 2, taking half the excess out at each side of the center back seam). If you have a center back seam + side seams, then you now can distribute the excess at 6 places...meaning you don't have to take nearly as big a chunk out of any one place. Now add front and back princess seams? You've just added 8 more seamlines that you can use to distribute excess.

So princess seams can be used for style, and they can also be used to make fitting a hell of a lot easier. I like to use vertical stylelines in my torso patterns whenever I can get away with it specifically to make fitting easier.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
I can see how one might interpret princess seams in that costume. Those gore pleats in the front of the skirt line up with where princess seams would be. How those pleats are drawn kind of implies the presence of seams there.

When making a really fitted garment like this, the more seams you have, the easier it is to fit it well and then sew all the pieces together. Fitting a garment means eliminating the excess ease so that it hugs the body. If you only have, say, a center back seam, then you have to take ALL of that ease out at that one place (the excess measurement divided by 2, taking half the excess out at each side of the center back seam). If you have a center back seam + side seams, then you now can distribute the excess at 6 places...meaning you don't have to take nearly as big a chunk out of any one place. Now add front and back princess seams? You've just added 8 more seamlines that you can use to distribute excess.

So princess seams can be used for style, and they can also be used to make fitting a hell of a lot easier. I like to use vertical stylelines in my torso patterns whenever I can get away with it specifically to make fitting easier.
Ah thought so on the seams. I already know how to do them, as I learned from a user on here (Ichgo_m, who has posted a tutorial on DA which I LOVE) so I know how to do it which is good, I just needed to make sure I was right.

Anyway, You also mentioned the pleats and answered my question. I figured as such, but a second opinion always helps. So again, thank you.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Double post :P lol

I had a friend make my pattern since she knows a lot about how to do princess seam stuff..

So now, I have had a couple fabric suggestions..But I wanna ask one more time, this time supplying more information that might help get me the very best opnion I can get..

Mmk, so as you can see, the outfits are red and white with a bow. Now, that's all good, but different seasons could make this different..You don't really get to see the uniforms in any other season but one, so I can't say if they would change like most anime seems to do (summer and winter uniforms separately)..This anime takes place in winter. Snow covers the ground like a blanket of white, and it's physically snowing a good half of the time or more..There is also a blizzard like storm in one episode, so that tells you how cold this setting is..

I got the suggestion to use a suiting fabric, but it seems like that would not be the case here..In closer looks at the anime on my tv, I can tell the cuffs are thicker and poofier as if to me a fleece or something that would help keep you warm, and it seems like it wouldn't look right on a suiting fabric or uniform cotton..Also, the capelet thing also looks to be the same fleece like fabric that the cuffs are made of, when watching it (re-watched the series again yesterday).
Any thoughts?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 12-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
kitee

I think a suiting would look nicer than fleece, if you need to be warm, maybe wool? But since all of the characters wear socks instead of like tights I don't think you have to worry using a warm material... I only know about fleece used for pajamas and plushies so maybe there's a nicer fleece, but the texture seems like it would look weird in a uniform?
But also this cosplayer made her capelet out of fleece originally but remade it so it might not work
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1052294/

Good luck with your cosplay though, I love Sayuri~
kitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitee View Post
I think a suiting would look nicer than fleece, if you need to be warm, maybe wool? But since all of the characters wear socks instead of like tights I don't think you have to worry using a warm material... I only know about fleece used for pajamas and plushies so maybe there's a nicer fleece, but the texture seems like it would look weird in a uniform?
But also this cosplayer made her capelet out of fleece originally but remade it so it might not work
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1052294/
Well take a look at the Link hat's me and my friend sell (they are fleece):
http://animeinspirations.deviantart....-Hat-370191257
I think it looks good. I think the fleece in that girls picture actually looks MORE like it goes with it..And fleece for PJ's is for what? To keep you warm right? I have a feeling that's what these capelets are suppose to be for..It's winter, and suppose to be freezing..I would assume there would be literally no other reason to have them other then warmth..Seems practical to me..I think the one she remade doesn't drape correctly and the fleece one DOES..But the fleece I'm talking about I believe is the one called Anti Pill Fleece:
http://www.joann.com/anti-pill-fleec...9.html#start=1
It's a lot softer then the kind used in PJ's and plushies. This is more the novelty throw blanket that's super warm to curl up in and stuff..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitee View Post
Good luck with your cosplay though, I love Sayuri~
Thanks. She's actually the first character from the series that caught my eye as a potential cosplay lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 12-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.