Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
KaiYume

Smile Estimating Cosplay Cost Estimates?

Hello!
I'm very new to cosplaying; I've only cosplayed once before and with a lot of help. This year I would like to try cosplaying miss Moxxi from Borderlands, but I don't want to spend a ton of money if that's what it's going to take.

So, my question is, to those who have a lot of experience constructing their own costumes, is how much approx. do you think a costume like this would cost to make?

Thanks for any help at all

Here's a reference pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...SON/Moxxi5.jpg
KaiYume is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There's a lot of factors that go into the cost of a costume besides the fabric.

If you don't have a large stash of notions and tools, every single little thing is going to cost money - buttons and other fasteners, thread, needles, a new scissors maybe, tape measures, and so on. Then there's the decision factor - how you decide to make each part. For example, are you thinking about making the jacket as a corset? Do you want to make book covers or completely custom footwear? How things are made affects the costs of materials that go into them. Also factor in underpinnings - you may need a real corset underneath the coat, which is going to take more fabric but also boning, eyelets, probably an eyelet-setting tool, etc.

Start by figuring out what patterns you would use for each part of the costume that you need to make, and then use those to estimate how much fabric you need. Don't forget linings and contrasts and other things. You can easily research different types of fabric and how much X number of yards of different kinds will cost you, with and without coupons or sales. Then factor in whether you need things like piping or trim, eyelets, buttons, etc. If it's already starting to be a much larger number than you wanted, even without considering any new tools you may need to buy, base shoes, a wig, etc, then you have your answer.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

Aye, there are a lot of varying factors that go into cost. I couldn't say how much I think that'd cost, but I can say, as a general rule, giving yourself LOTS of time before the con to work on it will reduce cost. Trying to find your missing piece(s) a couple weeks beforehand or rushing into your pricey materials without testing on something cheap when you're unsure will only make it more expensive.

On any project, you'll almost always end up with one of the following situations:
1: Get it done cheap and good quality, it'll take a long time.
2: Get it done fast and good quality, it'll be expensive.
3: Get it done cheap and fast, quality suffers.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
cowsrcute

I agree with above that it really depends what you want to use and how you want the outcome but I have made just the coat, hat, cuffs, and belt and that was already around 70.00. It is also extremely time consuming so you should plan ahead like nyditch said.
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Penlowe

I would probably purchase the base hat, wig, boots, stockings and undergarments, likely somewhere around $70-100, then make the rest. Yardage is minimal but notions are big. Raw materials if everything had to be purchased new: at least $80, not including tools. I see the made pieces taking at least ten hours (lots of fiddly hand bits like buttons).
So, at least $200 to do it well. Now you know why commissioned costumes cost so much.