Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
almightysam
Cosplay Fanatic

Airbrushing...

This is something new that i want to try and am not sure where to start. I want to make a long term investment into something that will last a while with normal use. I wont be using much more than maybe 5 times a year but i want to have something that i wont have to replace after one year. I am looking for a set or individual parts that i make a set from that will allow me to airbrush large areas on people. I have found a website that has the paint i would need but i am not sure on what kind of equipment i should get. Keep in mind i am working with a budget, but it is a little flexible so all ideas are up for grabs. I know i will need a gun, an airhose, and a compressor as well as paint. I will need to be able to do bright vibrant colors and large areas. I would also need it portable so i can take it with me to conventions. Could anyone give me some suggestions and links to help me out? Or personal experience stories?
almightysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

If you want to paint large areas of people, you might want to consider a small spray gun instead of an airbrush. I don't have one yet, so I can't give too much advise on that.

If intent on an airbrush, you need to decide if you want a single action or double action brush. Once you learn to use it, a double action gives you more artistic techniques, but a single action is cheaper and easier to clean.

I don't recommend trying to save money on the brush itself. A cheap brush will give you all kinds of headaches that you don't need to be dealing with as a beginner.

For doing makeup/body paint, I pretty much only recommend the Iwata Eclipse if getting a double-action brush, and the Paasche model H if getting a single-action brush. Both are designed with a larger diameter nozzle, that allows thicker paints to pass through more easily, and is less likely to become clogged.

Portable air is a bit tough. Many machines are either very very loud, very very large, or provide low uneven pressure. It can often be difficult to get specs on the noise output of the compressor. I'm told that there are some newer Japanese models that are very nice, and smaller than a loaf of bread, but I can't recall the names.

One solution that I use for portable air is compressed CO2 tanks. Don't confuse this with the bottles of airbrush propellant you might see in the craft store. Those are pretty much garbage. These are the sort of CO2 tanks that are used in paintball guns. To use one, you need to use a special regulator. Lowes sells them under their Kobalt brand. Something like $130, but I think it also comes with like, a nailgun or something. You'll likely need a few adapters to get their connector to fit your air-hose. Some must use teflon tape to seal it, others must not use tape. Leaks in any airbrush system are really annoying. The downside of CO2 tanks is that you need to know how many tanks you need. Once you run out of air, you need to either find a Lowes, or a paintball store to sell you a recharge, or you're done.

At home, I just use a plain pancake style air compressor from the hardware store. It hooks up to an air filter and a second pressure regulator. I keep the compressor in another room to abate the noise, and because the long hose helps to bring the air closer to room temperature.

As for makeup, I never buy the premixed stuff. I mix my own using either moist cake makeup like Kryolan's Aquacolor and water, Alcohol Activated makeup like Skin Illustrator and 99% alcohol, or occasionally, PAX (Prosaide prothetic adhesive plus Liquitex acrylic paint) mixed with a bit of water. Ya gotta be careful when airbrushing PAX. If it is left to dry in the airbrush, you are in for hours of careful cleaning to save the thing.
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Sweet Loretta

What is large areas per se?

For a half a dozen times per year on a handful of people I suggest something like what Harbor Freight sells. You can get a small compressor for about $89-99. and a good airbrush for another $80 to 100. You can get a cheap airbrush for about $20, the problem is these brushes spray to thin of a pattern. So are ok but most are thin. Ans as cheap brush getting parts can be a hassle. A good name brand will have pricey parts but too will hold its resale value. Besides at 5 times a year you should not need parts.

When we travel on the road we pick up these little Harbour Freight compressors and they do fine, and will for what you want. For airbrushes shop around look at Iwata, and Badger.
I have a resource sheet fro buying if you PM me Ill send you a copy. I give it as a handout in my airbrush classes.

Forget the Co2. I love airbrushing with Co2 and use alot for airbrush tattoos but it is too cold for body painting. And with the price of Co2 regulators these days plus tank purchase or lease with refills - you could have just bought the compressor. Which is easier than having to refill, and transport.

I and many I know do full body paintings with an Iwata Eclipse BCS , which goes from a fine line to a 1 inch+ pattern.

Overall if you can spring for the $250 compressor, airbrush, hose cleaning bottle... you'll be set. Then add another airbrush when you can, you'll be happy to have two when painting bodies.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
almightysam
Cosplay Fanatic

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Loretta View Post
What is large areas per se?

For a half a dozen times per year on a handful of people I suggest something like what Harbor Freight sells. You can get a small compressor for about $89-99. and a good airbrush for another $80 to 100. You can get a cheap airbrush for about $20, the problem is these brushes spray to thin of a pattern. So are ok but most are thin. Ans as cheap brush getting parts can be a hassle. A good name brand will have pricey parts but too will hold its resale value. Besides at 5 times a year you should not need parts.

When we travel on the road we pick up these little Harbour Freight compressors and they do fine, and will for what you want. For airbrushes shop around look at Iwata, and Badger.
I have a resource sheet fro buying if you PM me Ill send you a copy. I give it as a handout in my airbrush classes.

Forget the Co2. I love airbrushing with Co2 and use alot for airbrush tattoos but it is too cold for body painting. And with the price of Co2 regulators these days plus tank purchase or lease with refills - you could have just bought the compressor. Which is easier than having to refill, and transport.

I and many I know do full body paintings with an Iwata Eclipse BCS , which goes from a fine line to a 1 inch+ pattern.

Overall if you can spring for the $250 compressor, airbrush, hose cleaning bottle... you'll be set. Then add another airbrush when you can, you'll be happy to have two when painting bodies.
What I am planning to do with this is mystique, night crawler, and nocturne from the x-men. It isn't a whole body as parts will be covered with clothes but would be arms and legs and backs and such. Also I would love to have that list you mentioned.
almightysam is offline   Reply With Quote