Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Aiden
Wish me Luck.I'll Need it

How Much is Too Much to Spend on Cosplaying?

how much is too much to spend on a decent looking costume? doesnt matter if you made it, or bought it (including all the accesories, weapons, armor, shoes) personally, this is my first year cosplaying, and im buying mine. but its not complete, I still need the boots, and a belt with a gold circle in the buckle.
the belts not going to be a problem, but the boots.....I picked up a cheap pair of the wrong color/style just incase I couldnt find anything, and its driving me crazy...I want it to be as close to "Perfect" as possible, and these boots arnt going to cut it......I found the exact boots I need..for $144.00, unfortunately thier out of stock till april, but thats ok...Im still considering getting them when the next shipment comes in....but thats a little much for shoes im only going to wear for 4 days this year! so total costume cost comes to around $544.00 (for crono and marle)
Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
rox_my_sox
Kimmington!

WOW! thats ALOT to spend on cosplaying, i personally try to keep my limit at $200 or less, but i guess it all depends on the costume ur doing, ive made costumes that costed me $1.15 b4 so i guess it depends on how bad u want it to look perfect and on how much ur making.....advice: never ever go into debt trying to make a costume, not good to do that. *speaks form experience unfortunately* *sighs* >__<
rox_my_sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Aiden

hey...I know what ya mean, I paid off my card as soon as I made the purchase....Ive lived under debt (a.k.a. my mother) for 19 years...im sick of it, and Im NEVER getting in the same rut she was in! but I guess this is my first time cosplaying...I want it to be special..and look half decent
Unread 03-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Daitenshi
Elitist since 32 BC

You've only reached too much when you've hit your budget limit. Sometimes I'll put $400 + into a costume, but with my current financial troubles I do my best to keep it under $50.
~Daitenshi~
http://www.daitenshi.com
Daitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

Most of my costumes cost about $30-$100. I try to keep them cheap if I can... I make good use of Joann's coupons and fabric sales. ^^ I would like to make an expensive costume someday, but I just don't have the funds for it now. =P
Unread 03-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Aiden

I'll probably wear this costume for a few years (maybe not in a row) I mean, im not going to spend $500+ on something thats going to be an oil rag or sit in a closet never to be used again after only 4 days of use
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
Luna Selene
Bookworm Extraordinaire

I can sort of sympathize with you, Aiden. For my prom this year I'm cosplaying, and the dress itself is $425...and that's without the shoes/makeup that go with it. I don't trust my sewing skills enough to sew my own dress so that's why I had a commission instead...and am paying the sort of money to get the perfect fabric and detail. But, like you, I intend on wearing it to cons and holloween as well, to get wear out of it.

So all in all, I don't think it's ridiculous as long as you have the money you need to get by, and the costume isn't something you'll trash after the first time you wear it. Good luck to you!
Luna Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
Aiden

thanks Miss Selene (not sure what you prefer to be addressed as.)

Heres a few pics of the cheap boots I got (just incase I cant find anything better before AX04, they could double as Trunks boots ^_^), and a pic of crono's boots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sideboots2.jpg (54.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg sideboots.jpg (44.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg chrono2.jpg (59.9 KB, 72 views)
Unread 03-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #9
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I think the cost of the costume is determined by the complexity and materials involved...so while some costumes might be $100 or less, others will cost you a lot more money, naturally. I say if you pay over $200 on a costume that isn't very complex and the materials used are minimal, you might in fact be spending TOO much...

If you don't mind spending a lot and have the funds to back it up, I say go for it and spend away. Materials aren't cheap, and commissioning an outfit is definately going to be an expense. But as long as you get personal enjoyment out of it, no harm done.

*~Hime no Toki~*

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
Aiden

I just hope i can get over my social phobia >.<!!!!! I feel like people are constantly staring at me when I'm in public, but I guess If im cosplaying, people are gunna stare at me anyway ^_^
Unread 03-06-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
rhichan
Rhi, 'Nuff Said

If you have to ask if you're spending too much, you're spending too much.

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Enchanted
rhichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #12
animeneko
Your secret scary friend

Hmm... Well, if you think your spending too much, then you probably are. If you think that the costume is going to be worth the money, then your not spending too much. It's your money, and it all comes down to what you're willing to spend in the end. Just don't get yourself into debt like others have mentioned. ^^;;
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:43 PM   #13
Serria
tea-drinker

Depends on two main factors...

1) Are you rich?

2) How many times do you plan on wearing it?

I'm not rich, nor am I going to spend all of the cash I do have on cosplay... but some costumes were obviously very expensive but they are gorgeous. I guess it depends on what kind of effect you want, and how often you plan on using what you make.
Serria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
Akujin
Tokyo Advanced Police

If it is a character that you want to do then it is never too much. look at the 501 Stormtrooper peeps. the helms alone can be up in the 500s for the nice aussie fiberglass versions. I think the better question might be "when do you need to pay out and when can you make that same item yourself". thats something your time and confidence will decide tho. I do not put stock in "Skill" theres nothing that cant be made by yourself given you have the time and are willing to put forth the effort. I can go on and on but im sure your bord with my "" and follow your dreams bs so il stop typing ........... now! no....now!
Unread 03-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #15
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Depends on your income, your regular life expenses, what costume you are doing (ie: how much does it mean to you) and what you personally consider "a lot". For some people, $50 is a huge amount to spend on a costume. For others $500 may be reasonable. You will get as many different answers as there are cosplayers.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote