Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Tarah-Rex

Captain Scarlett - Borderlands 2

Hello!

I'm starting to work on Captain Scarlett cosplay from Borderlands 2. I have most of the sewing figured out, and I have an idea of how I'm gonna do her mechanical leg, but I'm stumped on her hook arm. Mostly it's because I can't find any useable shots of her from behind and I can't figure out all of what equipment is on her hook. It's obviously mostly just a bunch of metal parts, etc. but it looks like shes got some kind of syringe or something as well? Just looking for some outside opinions of whats on her hook and what I could do to make it.

For those of you who don't know the character, here is a reference image:

Tarah-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Tarah-Rex

here's another reference picture of her from behind:
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Helloooo Tarah.

How do you feel about welding? :P I'd be so tempted to make it from rectangular aluminium tubing, cut and welded to shape. Though that'd be a bit 'spenny, and heavier than needed.

My suggestion would be making the hook from styrene. It's a white sheet plastic that you can get in any multitude of thicknesses. You can buy small (and expensive) sheets from any hobby store, or if you can find a plastics store you can buy a lovely giant sheet of it for much less and then have lots spare to use for other props.
You can cut and glue it together (there are particular glues that are designed for styrene, that actually melt the plastic very slightly [or a lot, if you bung on too much glue] and bonds it together). You can use glue and all the little tiny shavings of plastic you end up with to mix a slurry which you can use to fill all the gaps in your hook.

With the back reference to compare to, it looks like the parts are coming out of a rectangular opening at the front. As for what the parts are, I'm clueless. I could guess maybe that the larger piece sticking out might be a telescope?

I need to catch up on the DLCs. Should've asked Santa for them.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Helloooo Tarah.

How do you feel about welding? :P I'd be so tempted to make it from rectangular aluminium tubing, cut and welded to shape. Though that'd be a bit 'spenny, and heavier than needed.

My suggestion would be making the hook from styrene. It's a white sheet plastic that you can get in any multitude of thicknesses. You can buy small (and expensive) sheets from any hobby store, or if you can find a plastics store you can buy a lovely giant sheet of it for much less and then have lots spare to use for other props.
You can cut and glue it together (there are particular glues that are designed for styrene, that actually melt the plastic very slightly [or a lot, if you bung on too much glue] and bonds it together). You can use glue and all the little tiny shavings of plastic you end up with to mix a slurry which you can use to fill all the gaps in your hook.

With the back reference to compare to, it looks like the parts are coming out of a rectangular opening at the front. As for what the parts are, I'm clueless. I could guess maybe that the larger piece sticking out might be a telescope?

I need to catch up on the DLCs. Should've asked Santa for them.
Oh Harro Nostrum!

I really like the idea of using Styrene! I know a guy who is a plastics fabricator so he'd probably be able to help me out with it. YAY! I'm probably just gonna have to do the same thing I did with Lilith and use a sniper rifle to get up close shots of all her angles, and take cell phone pictures, hahahaha!

Thanks again for the solid advice, you are a wonderful lady
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
NinjaNana707
Local nut-job

I'm stumped on the leg, I ended up making her hook from sculpey then just reinforcing it with Apoxie then spray painting it, then dry brushed it to make it look worn, as for the parts coming out of the arm i just used random pieces of PVC and broken brooms i had lying around the house and just glued them together. But Styrene seems WAY easier and I totally should've done that haha

Good luck on your costume lady!
NinjaNana707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNana707 View Post
I'm stumped on the leg, I ended up making her hook from sculpey then just reinforcing it with Apoxie then spray painting it, then dry brushed it to make it look worn, as for the parts coming out of the arm i just used random pieces of PVC and broken brooms i had lying around the house and just glued them together. But Styrene seems WAY easier and I totally should've done that haha

Good luck on your costume lady!
Thanks so much! Do you have any pictures of your hook? No one has openly done any Scarlett cosplay yet that I can find, so I'd be interested to see your take on the hook hand.
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Tarah-Rex

i case anyone is interested, this is my progress so far. It's not much, but it's a start. I made a mock-up this morning for sizing, made adjustments then sewed this baby. Pretty satisfied so far, but still stumped on a few parts here and there...

Unread 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
NinjaNana707
Local nut-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarah-Rex View Post
i case anyone is interested, this is my progress so far. It's not much, but it's a start. I made a mock-up this morning for sizing, made adjustments then sewed this baby. Pretty satisfied so far, but still stumped on a few parts here and there...

Yes! Charging my camera now so once I get the chance I'll post it for you. and I love the shirt so far!
Unread 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNana707 View Post
Yes! Charging my camera now so once I get the chance I'll post it for you. and I love the shirt so far!
You rock! Thank you!!!
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Ahhhhhh. And just like that, I know I won't be disappointed with this costume. It'll hold par to the rest of your work. Gonna keep my eye on you.

D'you have a facebook page or anything?
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Ahhhhhh. And just like that, I know I won't be disappointed with this costume. It'll hold par to the rest of your work. Gonna keep my eye on you.

D'you have a facebook page or anything?
Awe, gosh, you're too kind ^.^ I just PM'd you my FB and DeviantART C:
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
NinjaNana707
Local nut-job

Aluminum sheeting, hot glue, craft foam, sand paper and a prayer lol